• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Begins vs Dark Knight vs Dark Knight rises

53 posts in this topic

I've been reading all the hype about the next and last Christian Bale Batman to make me wonder if the Dark Knight Rises will crash back to earth after the HUGE $$ hit the Dark Knight was.

Let's examine the Christain Bale series, the first one was a "hit" making $205M. Helped bring Batman back to the movies even if it was gritty and not a great superhero movie. The Dark Knight got a lot of momentum from the death of Heath Ledger aka the Joker and took in $533M and lots of critical praise. Now lets bring this franchise back to earth. Let's be realistic one of the main reasons that DK was a hit was largely due to the death of Heath Ledger. Take that "want to see a dead guy in his last performance" out of the mix and it would have been a better movie then the first but now one that would have driven so much buzz, multiple viewing, and major box office $$$. The public would have viewed it in the same vein as Iron Man.

I'm going out on a limb and guess DK rises with Bane (who no one outside of die hard fans knows or really cares about. The public most likey has forgotten that Bane broke Batman's back in the terrible '90s) will crash back to Earth and gross slightlly higher then the first of the series let's say $250M. Batman will have a huge release in most likely 4000+ screens but I don't see "Hunger Game" type numbers.

DK rises will need the same kind of word of mouth praise that DK got or it will fizzle.

This is how I see it now start tossing your pebbles, because without a DC JLA movie I see this a the final movies of Christian Bales run and wonder who will put on the Black Suit next.

rantrant

Agreed on Ledgers Joker.... here is a ? if he had not passed away would he have gotten world wide critical praise?

Probably. Long before his death, word from the set was that his performance was remarkable.

Agreed on Ledgers Joker.... here is a ? if he had not passed away would he have gotten world wide critical praise?

Absolutely! His performance as the Joker stood on its own merit.

BTW, Christian Bale is overall a very good actor. He was fantastic in The Machinist, for example. I just don't think when he plays Batman he steals the show. When Ledger played the Joker he freaking stole that mother--.

I think so...if I remember correctly, there were leaks from the set that had the other actors as well as those involved with the filming stating how his Joker was going to blow everyone away.

Let me add fuel to the fire for this movie. It cost $250M to make and mega $$ to promote even if it grosses $350 it will be a bust profitwise aka John Carter.

I think it will need $500-600M to be sucessfull.

Unless they are just reinvesting the profits and don't care about $$ made.

As to Christian Bale as an actor, sure he "won" and Oscar, but he's not a great Batman.. doh!

Yes! He was THAT damn good.

+1

+2

+3

+4

While they were very differenty takes on the Joker, so it is a little difficult to compare, I thought Ledger's performance blew away Nicholson's in the Burton movie.

Just a side note -

I think Christian Bale is decent, but very replaceable as Batman. But Heath Ledger ruined the role of Joker for everyone else. He was perfection. His masterpiece he left behind just before he died.

hm He came the closest to what the Joker should be. We view him as the best(so far), because we hungered so long for the quintessential Killing Joke personna. There will come another that will take us to the promised land. IMHO :foryou:

Just a side note -

I think Christian Bale is decent, but very replaceable as Batman. But Heath Ledger ruined the role of Joker for everyone else. He was perfection. His masterpiece he left behind just before he died.

hm He came the closest to what the Joker should be. We view him as the best(so far), because we hungered so long for the quintessential Killing Joke personna. There will come another that will take us to the promised land. IMHO :foryou:

Personally I don't think you will ever see the Joker on film again,no one can top the persona Heath Leger extraordinarily did.He made you really believe he was twisted maniac,no question in my mind the best performance of any character in a superhero movie.

Just a side note -

Personally I don't think you will ever see the Joker on film again,no one can top the persona Heath Leger extraordinarily did.He made you really believe he was twisted maniac,no question in my mind the best performance of any character in a superhero movie.

Yeah, it was pretty fantastic. As far as numbers go, I'd say it was the combo of Ledger's death and killer performance that brought in all that loot. Either one by itself would not have had such an impact.

Let me add fuel to the fire for this movie. It cost $250M to make and mega $$ to promote even if it grosses $350 it will be a bust profitwise aka John Carter.

I think it will need $500-600M to be sucessfull.

Unless they are just reinvesting the profits and don't care about $$ made.

As to Christian Bale as an actor, sure he "won" and Oscar, but he's not a great Batman.. doh!

Im guessing it will be 350-400 without the ledger hype. But don't forget the international totals, it may end up with close to a billion worldwide.

let me ask you this then: who is a better batman...ill take bale's batman over any of the original 3 movie batmans