• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You guys are probably tired of me...

22 posts in this topic

Indecision plagues me yet again. I've talked it over with my wife, who seems to be under the strange idea that I am an amatuer and you guys are the experts! ME??? MOI??? An AMATEUR!?!? Well, yea I am, ok...

Alot of people say that the $120.00 I was going to spend would be way too much for the run of spawns I was planning on getting, and I have no choice but to agree, I AM overpaying. But what am I to do?

I can wait for a cheaper price on the books, or buy them slowly but surely, potentially save money in the long run, but as of right now I have no books whatsoever. The one that I did have, the City of Heroes #1, was destroyed by my lovely daughter, whose 2 year old mind told her that it was the right thing to do.

I'm getting anxious to start collecting SOMETHING. Perhaps that is clouding my judgment. While I absolutely LOVE the art and storyline of the spawn books, if I can force myself to be patient and save money in the long run, then I think thats the best way to go about it.

On the other hand, I have NO IDEA once again where to begin. I'm lost, so many books, different prices, different runs, different ages... its enough to make me insane!! I was considering ASM, as I'm sure most of you who've put up with me this long know, but the cost of most of the earlier books are, well, a little out of my league right now.

There is a question here, I promise, please bear with me smile.gif

I started looking at modern marvel/dc runs that are in high numbers (action comics -> not a chance! ASM -> Highly unlikely! Detective comics -> Yea right!) So where do I turn? What is a series that is possibly still in print, but whose back issues wont cost me an arm and 3 legs? I know if I buy lower grade stuff its generally lower in value, so the books become more accessable, but Im somewhat of a neat freak and I really want VF+ whenever possible. If the whole run has maybe a book or 2 worth a couple of hundred, that's fine, I can work my way up to those books, treat myself at income tax time, whatever. But when the first 100 books of the series are all $100+ books, it's not even worth it for me to attempt it.

I found a LCS thats about 45 minutes away from me, Stormwatch Comics I believe its called. I'm sure I'll be able to work on my spawn collection by starting there, but I need something to satisfy this craving, this raw urge for books!

Oh boy, here I go again.... sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Anywho, if anyone could suggest a good first time series to go for that I could at least POTENTIALLY collect all of them (which is important to me), but also which have good storylines and good art associated with them, I would very much appreciate it. I've been looking at Fantastic Four, Avengers and Uncanny X-Men. Anyone know what an UXM #1 goes for in 7.0? hehe

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out

Vince

The one thing I can offer is..

There is something to be said for being able to buy a complete run of comics all at once.

And normally you pay a premuim to do so.

And also.. if you feel it is worth it.. then who cares what us yahoos here think.

If you get to look at, read, and oogle over all the Spawn covers.. then the price paid..is well worth it.

I just think everyone here was in a roundabout way trying to warn you about overspending on a comic series that can be found so easily.

But if you want it now, and can get a run for a certain amount.. then go for it.

Heck.. we all spend alot on going out to dinner or a movie...

So if you get 50 hours of enjoyment from your Spawn collection, then it was money well spent.

But I can say.. if you are planing to buy this as an investment.. then listen to what everyone here is saying.

Look for a better deal... since the series as a whole while popular.. will not make you a return anytime soon.

just my thoughts..

Z

Answer: Look for trade paperbacks with "Volume One" in the title.

Any title, any publisher, anything that you think you might like... but make it cheap!

(Lighthouse, aka "tpbking", has TONS of these at deep discounts.)

Buy a few of the "Volume One" trade paperbacks... read them all.

Next, choose which ones you'd like to read "Volume Two"...

Then, "Volume Three"...

Eventually, you'll know what you like...

and you can buy the "original comics" to build your collection...

I don't think anyone is telling you to AVOID the Spawn collection...

just to understand that you're paying a little extra for the "I-want-it-now factor".

If that's ok with you... then go ahead and get them now.

(Quick question: What happens if you get bored reading them around issue #22?)

(Will you wish that you had bought them in stages... or not at all?)

Vince,

No way man--you came here for advice (and sometimes unsolicited opinions).

When a lot of collectors start, they sometimes are "completionists". Over time, I see collectors start collecting by artist or genre--in other words, a more narrow scope for their collection.

The bottom line is, there's no wrong way to collect, but make sure:

1. You follow your heart--that is, if you are doing this for fun.

2. If you are doing this for potential "investment" purposes, take a serious look at the price you are paying relative to the market. Actually, this is a good idea regardless.

3. You keep your hobby within your financial means.

For instance, I collect bronze DC/Marvel horror in high grade. Over time, my interests focus in on specific artists (Adams/Wrightson).

Sometimes a goal becomes more realistic if you break them down into smaller goals, so that your quest doesn't appear too daunting--especially if entire runs are your thing. Heck, Ian almost has a complete DC run of comics of all titles--quite an accomplishment. (again, follow my "bottom line" rules to keep your hobby in check).

Vince,

No way man--you came here for advice (and sometimes unsolicited opinions).

When a lot of collectors start, they sometimes are "completionists". Over time, I see collectors start collecting by artist or genre--in other words, a more narrow scope for their collection.

The bottom line is, there's no wrong way to collect, but make sure:

1. You follow your heart--that is, if you are doing this for fun.

2. If you are doing this for potential "investment" purposes, take a serious look at the price you are paying relative to the market. Actually, this is a good idea regardless.

3. You keep your hobby within your financial means.

For instance, I collect bronze DC/Marvel horror in high grade. Over time, my interests focus in on specific artists (Adams/Wrightson).

Sometimes a goal becomes more realistic if you break them down into smaller goals, so that your quest doesn't appear too daunting--especially if entire runs are your thing. Heck, Ian almost has a complete DC run of comics of all titles--quite an accomplishment. (again, follow my "bottom line" rules to keep your hobby in check).

gossip.gif But soon you'll learn that the most important rule on this board is: "Everything *you* collect sucks. Everything *I* collect is cool."

I'm starting to really really like this board alot! smile.gif

Seriously, you guys are really great, and the advice you give is top notch! That idea about the TPB's is such an awesome idea, the suggestion that I might get bored of reading the issues around #22... its possible, and I will feel as though I wasted a good amount of my money.

I think I will do that, invest in a few TPB's and go from there. This way I can read them without touching them too, and I can READ the whole collection without actually OWNING the whole collection... that would probably make me a bit less anal about having every single book.

And Sterling, thank you, your bottom line rules make such perfect sense...

Let me shut up before I go on ranting again... Im so good at that! tongue.gif

Thank you all again so much, without you I would be hopelessly lost, and would probably lose interest in this hobby soon after I started.

Vince

Great idea on the TPB, but all I could find was

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35781&item=2249018129

Hardcover marvel editions, reprints of Amazing Fantasy #15 and ASM #1-10... for 35 bucks thats a bit steep to read the first TEN of a 500+ book series 27_laughing.gif

Anyone know where I can find a softcover, or maybe even a hardcover that has say #1-20 or so? If not, I guess I could shell out the 35 large on this foreheadslap.gif! (Hey, when you don't have many, dollars are pretty large! 27_laughing.gif ).

Thanks again

Vince

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35781&item=2249018129

Hardcover marvel editions, reprints of Amazing Fantasy #15 and ASM #1-10... for 35 bucks thats a bit steep to read the first TEN of a 500+ book series 27_laughing.gif

Anyone know where I can find a softcover, or maybe even a hardcover that has say #1-20 or so? If not, I guess I could shell out the 35 large on this foreheadslap.gif! (Hey, when you don't have many, dollars are pretty large! 27_laughing.gif ).

Thanks again

Vince

Try this one...

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79&item=2248741168&rd=1

The first 110 issues of Amazing Spider-Man (plus Annuals) reprinted in B&W, in 5 TPB's for $47.99 plus shipping.

Another good place to start looking for TPB's is amazon.com. They have a whole section dedicated to TPB's and comic related books and you can search by publisher. Plus they are cheap. thumbsup2.gif

Also, as ultimatevenom says there's the tpbking on eBay, who is our fellow board member lighthouse. gossip.gif

If you want to read something that will just blow you away, get the first "Preacher" trade paperback. I guarantee you will love it. You will buy the 2nd trade w/in a day of finishing the first one.

Then, you can collect the entire run (66 issues total). #1 is the only issue that guides over $15. And you can find them for $10 all day long at conventions. thumbsup2.gif

I'm getting anxious to start collecting SOMETHING. Perhaps that is clouding my judgment.

Instead of trying to get a whole run all at once you should just focus on a decent story-arch. With the way people are writing comics right now you can get some pretty decent stories in 10-12 issues. Then, if you like it, you can start to backfill from there. This is how I got started o'so many years ago. Now I have complete runs of most of the major Marvel titles. It just takes time.

BTW, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you that Spawn #1 (and a couple of others).