• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long will slabbed Comics last?

43 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone has thoughts on how long a comic that's slabbed will last in the condition it was originally graded as?

Let's just assume you get a silver age comic graded 9.0 in 2012. You keep it in good storage with proper humidity and temp and light. Will it still be a 9.0 in 50 years? 75 years? 100 years?

In 2012, the comic might already be 50 years old, so in another 50 years it will be a 100 year old comic. Even slabbed, won't the paper start to break down?

Just curious if anyone has thoughts on how long a comic that's slabbed will last in the condition it was originally graded as?

Let's just assume you get a silver age comic graded 9.0 in 2012. You keep it in good storage with proper humidity and temp and light. Will it still be a 9.0 in 50 years? 75 years? 100 years?

In 2012, the comic might already be 50 years old, so in another 50 years it will be a 100 year old comic. Even slabbed, won't the paper start to break down?

This is a very 'fair' question. It is recommended that 'slabbed' comics be reholdered every seven years. Note the word 'recommended.' I do reholder a lot of my collectibles becuase I like having a 'nice, shiny' holder. I also have a 'touch of OCD.' That being said, keep in mind that CGC only started grading comics about ten years ago. Before that, all these great comics that we love so much were stored without the protection of a plastic slab; and judging by the census, many were taken care of and stood the test of time. As such, I don't think you have to worry about your beloved collection deteriorating any time soon; assuming you use common sense and store the items will proper care.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

This is a very 'fair' question. It is recommended that 'slabbed' comics be reholdered every seven years. Note the word 'recommended.' I do reholder a lot of my collectibles becuase I like having a 'nice, shiny' holder. I also have a 'touch of OCD.' That being said, keep in mind that CGC only started grading comics about ten years ago. Before that, all these great comics that we love so much were stored without the protection of a plastic slab; and judging by the census, many were taken care of and stood the test of time. As such, I don't think you have to worry about your beloved collection deteriorating any time soon; assuming you use common sense and store the items will proper care.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

(thumbs u

Do you really need to change microchamber paper frequently? I just put some in the my books, and would regret doing so if it means that I need to change it out once a decade.

You don't.

The microchamber is said to only function for seven years, so if you want it to do whatever it was you wanted it to do when you first installed it, you do need to change it every so often. If you don't care that it is inert and no longer working, you don't.

Do you really need to change microchamber paper frequently? I just put some in the my books, and would regret doing so if it means that I need to change it out once a decade.

You don't.

The microchamber is said to only function for seven years, so if you want it to do whatever it was you wanted it to do when you first installed it, you do need to change it every so often. If you don't care that it is inert and no longer working, you don't.

There is no "expiration date" on microchamber paper. It does not become inert or stop working after a specific time period. CGC has simply "recommended" reholdering after 7 years.

How much this "recommendation" is based on scientific evidence and how much is based on the promotion of a revenue stream is uncertain. However, I don't recall any study, scientific or otherwise, detailing the reduction of microchamber benefits over time.

An educated guess would be that microchamber paper will continue to function perfectly well as an alkaline reserve for decades on books that were initially slabbed without any acid hydrolysis going on as long as storage conditions are "good". However, if you have books that are already browning, brittle or otherwise have already begun to experience significant acidic degradation you should change these at least every 7 years as CGC has recommended.

Edited by grinin

There was a recent discussion on this - someone had talked to a conservator, and they said microchamber paper's effectiveness would probably outlast any of our lifetimes. One poster said he even sprinkled the trimmed edges throughout his comic boxes for added effect.

This thread really should be stickied somewhere on the forum, as there are mixed signals on the topic of changing out your slabs every 6-7 years. It's a relief to know such is not the case.

This thread really should be stickied somewhere on the forum, as there are mixed signals on the topic of changing out your slabs every 6-7 years. It's a relief to know such is not the case.

I would agree. Some people misinterpret the word 'recommended.' I reholder because I like to get a nice and shiny new holder. The changing of the microchamber paper is an added 'bonus.'

Kind Regards,

'mint'