• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Approximately how many graders does CGC have on staff

18 posts in this topic

ah, k, didn't know that was there....wonder how so few guys can grade so many comics......i hope they're all healthy and never get sick.

I believe there apprentice graders, junior graders, (not sure of the term) that don't get any press on the website. If I recall correctly, there were several stages of graders who perform different tasks (like page counting, etc).

11 graders for all those books that funnel into CGC on a daily basis, and three of them have to grade every book? I'd be pretty concerned about quality control if that were the case - I'm going to say there's a lot more graders than what is shown on the website.

ah, k, didn't know that was there....wonder how so few guys can grade so many comics......i hope they're all healthy and never get sick.

I believe there apprentice graders, junior graders, (not sure of the term) that don't get any press on the website. If I recall correctly, there were several stages of graders who perform different tasks (like page counting, etc).

11 graders for all those books that funnel into CGC on a daily basis, and three of them have to grade every book? I'd be pretty concerned about quality control if that were the case - I'm going to say there's a lot more graders than what is shown on the website.

Absolutely.

LINK

Posted on 3/24/2011

CGC is the first independent, impartial, expert third-party comic book grading service. A proven and respected commitment to integrity, accuracy, consistency and impartiality has made CGC the leader in its field. In fact, in 2007, CGC crossed the million-book mark and has now graded nearly 1.5 million comic books

Using a rough calculation of the data given above (using a standard work week), it would appear that they average 567 books per day.

Using 11 graders, 3 graders per book, and the above rate, this would mean each grader's output would be 19.3 books per hour, or one book every 3.1 minutes.

I would assume that rate is much higher now.

they called them "interns" I think (thumbs u

Pre-graders? (shrug) West would know.

I don't follow your math.

CGC graded just over 1.5 million books over 11 years (from 2000 to 2011). They don't have as many graders as you think they have.

Just a rough estimate based on the data available. This assumes they started production 1/2000, had level production, always used a standard work week, and always had 11 graders - all these assumptions are more than likely incorrect, but I have no other data to work with. This is the classic "back of the envelope" calculation.

Here's my math:

Time frame: Jan/2000 - 3/2011 (123 months)

1.5 M books/123 months = 12,195.1 books/mo

12,195.1/4.3 = 2,836.1 books/wk

2,836.1/5 = 567.2 books/day

Each book is graded 3 times, so that's 1701.6 grades per day

1701.6/11 graders = 154.7 grades per day per grader

154.7/8 = 19.3 grades per hour per grader

60/19.3 = 3.1 minutes per grade per grader.

Pre-graders? (shrug) West would know.

Pre-graders sounds right. I think I've heard that term before. But who knows, I may just be scaling my log here.

thanks for the explanation.

You bet!

So, since this calculated productivity seems aggressive, I was agreeing with Dr. Balls that they probably have additional grading resources in order to keep pace with their production.

As much as I like looking at comics, I think being a grader would quickly become tedious.

I agree, and given the massive volume they deal with -- especially dealing with speculators submitting modern books to get a 9.8 instead of a 9.6, etc. -- one wonders what the risk is of one of them going postal.

I would also become frustrated by not being able to read the ones that looked interesting.

Wait a second. You think when you leave your car at the valet stand that they might not take it for a joy ride if it's a nice car?