• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Digests (The Battle of The 100 Pages)
2 2

146 posts in this topic

What was the last DC Digest?

Of the 1980's? I believe it was Best of DC #71.

But I believe DC Comics is still producing digests. I have some Justice League Unlimited digests.

It seems like it gets tougher to find these books in 9.8's to finish my run. Also, the later issues of Best of DC (Like #41 and on) are tougher to come by, and... I notice the whole series of DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest is a little bit scarcer to find in high-grade than Best of DC. Still, I would like to know what's the print run between the two.

Here's what I got from CGC recently...

DOC050115-05012015045136-0001_zpsdq4ifwyg.jpeg

DOC050115-05012015045147-0001_zpscvw7ljtk.jpeg

Edited by vane

It's been over 9 months since the last post so I think I'll scan a book that just came back from CGC:

002_12.jpg

Where did you find that book?

Nice digest!!

I just can't get my digest run finish. It seems Best of DC #60 through #71 are very tough to find in 9.8's. And forget about the Jonah Hex's digest. They're just impossible to find in 9.8's because of their horrendous printing defects. I did find a possible Jonah Hex and Other Western Tales #1 9.8 BUT it caught damaged during shipping to CGC.

On 5/6/2012 at 9:55 PM, Jaded Savage said:

I thought about collecting this line since I have a really nice Jonah Hex set and a pretty Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love but i can't stand the look of the Digest encapsulated in a regular comic sized CGC holder. Hopefully they change that one day.

Responding to a very old post :)

I do agree that would be very nice! However, my guess is the only reason digests are graded is they fit into the standard footprint.  Likely there is not enough demand to justify the overall custom slab size equipment and material expense from CGC 's perspective.  I also feel no chance enough there would be enough demand for Digest size graded boxes or mylite sleeves to be made.

Extending my thanks and appreciation to Vane for all his time, efforts and expense in gathering raw then slabbing his former digest collection.  Thanks to him many of these beautiful but near zero demand books are in 9.8 slabs.  I am the lucky current proud owner of a few of them, my favorites being the JSA issues, Perez Supergirl cover, and the 100 Power Pages Of Blistering Battle Action Haunted Tank issue.

Speaking of the Haunted Tank issue, when I was a kid a buddy of mine had the issue and for a short time back then 100 Power Pages Of Blistering Battle Action became our catch phrase, actually still kind of is... :)

P.S. I am seeking (offering top dollar) for 9.8 Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest 03 Super-Friends  - Vane sold it just a scant week or so before I first made contact with him.

lFt5jWC.jpg

vQukWeI.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

I have several of the very earliest Best of DC and DC Special Blue Ribbon issues -- all Newsstand copies.  Not many after that, though I do have a sharp copy of the GL issue shown in this thread.

On 5/3/2012 at 9:22 AM, vane said:

I acquired this book from BobCat (ebay seller) some years ago. I recently got it graded some time late last year. I particularly like this book because if it's patriotism.

You'll notice Earth-2 Batman is the architect.

BestofDC21.jpgBestofDC21b.jpg

Not only one of my favorite Digests, but one of my favorite George Perez covers.  I'm proud to be the current custodian of this book :) Thanks again Vane for your digest efforts!

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/1/2012 at 8:21 AM, vane said:

Nice cover to see all his original arch enemies.

Reprints from Batman #234, 260, 263, 266, Detective Comics #473; Villains pinup

Batman: This One’ll Kill You,

Batman!; The Origin of the Joker;

Batman: Half an Evil; The Origin of Two-Face;

Batman: The Malay Penguin!; The Origin of the Penguin;

Batman: Riddler on the Move!; The Origin of the Riddler;

Batman: The Curious Case of the Catwoman’s Coincidences!; The Origin of the Catwoman

BestofDC14-1.jpg

BestofDC14-2.jpg

This is my favorite Digest!! :)

Re-united another of Vane's DC Digests back with some of it's siblings recently.  The past few years I read for the first time nearly the entire Sugar and Spike run.  Timeless stuff from what some with euphoric memory might consider a simpler time.

Also thought I'd toss in what is  my favorite Doom Patrol cover and one of my top 5 favorite George Perez covers. Elasti-Girl (later Elasti-Woman) never looked better.

Again thanks to Vane for all his tireless efforts years back, I'm just someone who was lucky enough to have purchased them from him (or others).

bestofdc28.jpg

bestofdc28b.jpg

DCSpecialBlueRibbonDigest19.jpg

DCSpecialBlueRibbonDigest19b.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

Rudolph re-united with some of the "Vane family".

Great Sheldon Meyer cover! Brings me back to the XMAS 1979. After 2 decades of fruitless searching, never figured I'd ever find this one in high-grade especially after missing out on it when Vane was selling. I'm very fortunate to have received a 2nd chance.

P.S. Seeking (offering top dollar) for 9.8 Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest 03 Super-Friends  - Vane sold it just a scant week or so before I first made contact with him.

BestofDC04.jpg

BestofDC04b.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

Thought I bring out another for the season of holidays.  Apologies in repeating yet again my thanks to Vane as without him I woudl not be the current caretaker of this festive on sale Dec 1981 high grade digest.

Contains the unpublished (used in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade) Sandman #8 by Kirby.

P.S. Seeking (offering top dollar) for 9.8 Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest 03 Super-Friends  - Vane sold it just a scant week or so before I first made contact with him.

BestofDC22.jpg

BestofDC22b.jpg

Edited by MAR1979