• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Digests (The Battle of The 100 Pages)
2 2

146 posts in this topic

I bought this book on Ebay raw sometime last year.

8 years ago BobCat (ebay seller) had this up for auction. At the last minute I was out bid. I called Bob and asked him if he had another copy, and he did not. When I got this graded as a 9.8 I was supper happy.

BestofDC22-1.jpg

BestofDC22-2.jpg

Edited by vane

I thought about collecting this line since I have a really nice Jonah Hex set and a pretty Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love but i can't stand the look of the Digest encapsulated in a regular comic sized CGC holder. Hopefully they change that one day.

I thought about collecting this line since I have a really nice Jonah Hex set and a pretty Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love but i can't stand the look of the Digest encapsulated in a regular comic sized CGC holder. Hopefully they change that one day.

I agree with you, but to insure my digests safety CGC holders are the best way to go.

I absolutely love this cover. Too me it looks very old school seeing Superman, Clark, Lois, Jimmy, and Perry White all on the same cover.

I have a readable copy. I thought by adding this inside front cover that display the table of contents, and the inside back cover that gives a little bit history of the of the Daily Planet would be nice to share.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

BestofDC6-1.jpg

BestofDC6-2.jpg

Edited by vane

Dang, all these sweet high grade Digests make me wish I was still collecting them! Nice collection, keep them coming if you have more! :applause:

Dang, all these sweet high grade Digests make me wish I was still collecting them! Nice collection, keep them coming if you have more! :applause:

Well...it's never to late to start again.

No particular special of this digest.

Just need to fill my run. And again no advertisement on the back cover. Love these digests.

BestofDC48-1.jpg

BestofDC48-2.jpg

I like this book particularly.

Love the original art on front AND back cover. Especially the classic quote on the back cover. "THEY CAME TO EARTH!"

I haven't seen a nicer book than the book below.

BestofDC42-1.jpg

BestofDC42-2.jpg

Edited by vane

Here's another Superman Vs. Aliens.

Still not too many high grade digests out there. Believe me I've been looking.

I wonder...what issue Galactic Golem came out of???

BestofDC56-1.jpg

BestofDC56-2.jpg

I kind of like the cover on this one. Looking at the back cover is actually cooler.

The artist name is spelled backwards.

BestofDC57-1.jpg

BestofDC57-2.jpg

Edited by vane

is anybody selling reader copies of the dc blue ribbon digest or know somewhere to buy those,im interested in various dc digest,i dont care about condition as long as theyre readable so low grade is fine,i like the format as a compilation of old stories,thanks

Ebay has allot of readable copies.

One of my favorite covers in the DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest series.

I still have more to come posting my digests.

I would like to thanks everyone viewing this thread, it helps by recognizing these digests that are truly undervalued and not to be forgotten.

DCSpecialBlueRibbonDigest12-1.jpg

DCSpecialBlueRibbonDigest12-2.jpg

Edited by vane

My family really find this digest adorable. It has a new story about the Super-Jrs.

This is a very nice Christmas digest to bring out for the holidays.

Look at the back cover on the digest, you'll notice Robin (The youngest of them all) sleeping and having a candy cane in his hand. Just like a wee toddler. And Batman, always looking after his boy wonder, is holding onto him. Because apparently the nails that holding the Super-Jrs did not hold for Robin.

The digest includes...

The Super Jrs go to the "Island of Forgotten Toys." Plus Sugar and Spike have 3 Christmas adventures.

Super Jrs. - The Isle Of Forgotten Toys

Sugar & Spike - Spike's Big Problem

Sugar & Spike - Cowboy Santa Claus

Sugar & Spike - A New Adventure With The Genius

Cover done by: Vincent Squeglia

Here are some pages from the book.

jrs1.jpg

jrs2.jpg

jrs3.jpg

jrs4.jpg

jrs5.jpg

BestofDC58-1.jpg

BestofDC58-2.jpg

The making of Super-Jrs.

Source:

http://digestcomics.blogspot.com/2007/08/best-of-dc-blue-ribbon-digest-58-march.html

One of the strangest, if not the strangest, digests DC ever published--the Super Jrs. Holiday Special, an all-new sixty-five page story aimed directly at young kids!

It's a fanciful Xmas tale that features five little kids who get transformed into pint-size versions of Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, and...Flash (you all know what I'm thinking).

There's no writing credit, but the art is by Vince Squeglia, someone I've never heard of before and as far as I know this is his only comic-book credit.

The story is wonderfully told and Squeglia's art is beautiful, and the whole piece has a definite Sheldon Mayer-esque feeling to it. It's a really great kids comic, and again all credit to DC for commissioning it. I'm betting this didn't sell very well, because...

A) you never saw Squeglia's art in another DC comic, and...

B) this is one of the hardest digests to find--if not the hardest--on ebay, since I bet not many copies got saved over the years.

There's also three Sugar & Spike tales thrown in: "Spike's Big Problem", "Cowboy Santa Claus", and "A New Adventure With the Genius", making for an excellent kids and/or Christmas comic.

I would love to know the origins of this book's creation, whether it made especially for the digest or for something else(an abandoned children's book, possibly?). It's a wonderful anomaly.

In Scott Shaw!'s Oddball Comics column. Apparently, the Super Jrs. was a merchandising concept used overseas, and this story was originally done for a Mexican comic, and then translated into English for this American digest version.

And of course, now we know from our interview with Nick Cuti that importing this story was his idea. It may not have sold well at the time, but speaking for this longtime comics reader, I'm really glad he did it!

Edited by vane

Another steal I won on Ebay. But it has that overlay defect that is very common among digests. I just wonder, why so many digests has so many overlays on their covers?

Stories include:

"Battle Tags For Easy Co." by Bob Kanigher and Joe Kubert

"I Kid You Not" by Kubert

"A Penny For Jackie Johnson!" by Kanigher and Kubert

"Head-Count" by Kanigher and Kubert

"Calling Easy Company" by Kanigher and Kubert

"Sergeants Aren't Born--!" by Kanigher and Kubert

DCSpecialBlueRibbonDigest18-1.jpg

DCSpecialBlueRibbonDigest18-2.jpg

Edited by vane

Nice cover to see all his original arch enemies.

Reprints from Batman #234, 260, 263, 266, Detective Comics #473; Villains pinup

Batman: This One’ll Kill You,

Batman!; The Origin of the Joker;

Batman: Half an Evil; The Origin of Two-Face;

Batman: The Malay Penguin!; The Origin of the Penguin;

Batman: Riddler on the Move!; The Origin of the Riddler;

Batman: The Curious Case of the Catwoman’s Coincidences!; The Origin of the Catwoman

BestofDC14-1.jpg

BestofDC14-2.jpg