• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top 50 Most Memorable Covers of the Marvel Age Master List

27 posts in this topic

Most of those on the list are "memorable" because they are major or minor keys and even the most casual fan has seen them scores if not hundreds or thousands of times ( FF #48 has be one of the weakest covers of the Kirby era). I would have liked to have seen more that are memorable because they are classic covers - the obvious criteria for including SS #4 and ASM #50.

The list should also be divided up into eras ( or more conveniently - decades) - unless it's a Best Marvel Cover of the Year 1961-2011 list, it's too big a period to adequately make such a list from, given the sheer amount of keys and changing styles throughout the era. I find Bronze and Copper Marvel covers generally lacking, but I know there are others who feel quite the opposite.

Most of those on the list are "memorable" because they are major or minor keys and even the most casual fan has seen them scores if not hundreds or thousands of times ( FF #48 has be one of the weakest covers of the Kirby era). I would have liked to have seen more that are memorable because they are classic covers - the obvious criteria for including SS #4 and ASM #50.

+1

That's why I consider the list to be a bit phoned in.  A memorable cover can stand on its own merits, there doesn't have to be an association with a first appearance or key storyline - or anything else, interior-wise.

No list will ever satisfy everyone. This one is still pretty good and covers alot, no pun intended.

However, two omissions I'd note:

Invincible Iron Man #1

Fantastic Four #50 (although they have 48, 49, & 51)