• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I'm curious as to how CGC grades prestige format books with these "lines" going down the book. Of all of the copies on eBay that I have looked at (probably over 50) they have all had them (some bad and some worse). Let me know how CGC would grade these. Thanks!

Example:

Books_of_Magic_Vol_1_1.jpg.9a77f16fe5a5b1462b4425ac1c4177d3.jpg

640324352_s-l16008_14_07PM.thumb.jpg.0a81c97938e301613a702be5cdc5c837.jpg

1535729910_s-l16008_14_47PM.thumb.jpg.41c74c0b41c8b440d10936590ff4e7b1.jpg

On 6/9/2004 at 2:24 PM, DiceX said:

Marvel Chipping has been blamed on dull blades when the book was trimmed.

I'm skeptical of this because a dull blade would possibly only give a jagged edge, sort of like what you see as a common problem on Amazing Spider-Man #300.

I'd think a more likely possiblity would be poor paper quality that gets flaky on the edges as time and oxygen break down the fibers.

The edges of this particular paper would be more likely to flake.

I could be completely wrong, but I think it's a possiblity.

Borock may have a better soloution this defect because of his experience with looking at so many examples of it.

While I have no way of proving my idea...I'd need to see some solid proof before I believe the dull blade theory.

I have a hard time believing that the bindery blade was dull for 15-20 years.

makepoint.gif

If it was possible to trace the paper down to the mill, I'd bet the paper on all these chipped books came from the same source.

This is a hard one to answer because it is something that takes time to become evident, and can't be seen immediately.

Who knows...In 20 years when we have Marvel Chipping on all the ASM 300's and Hulk 340's, we may have the question answered.

893frustrated.gif

As a former printer for 25 plus years, a dull blade WOULD NOT cause marvel chipping

Have 2 copies of Batman 655 with a weird bubble on the substrate on otherwise 9.4++ books.  I can almost remember seeing this flaw on copies when it first hit shelves, and I made sure to get copies without it.  These I got soon after through the mail.  Does anyone else have any experience with this flaw on this book?  Regardless, what could I realistically grade these out at?  Thanks

709395411_batman_655_coverFlaw_8.0A_fr.thumb.jpg.9a6bda5bbaa8b2deec6490866cfa9395.jpg1238544600_batman_655_coverFlaw_8.0A_bk.thumb.jpg.b4f62f816ffbf0d3ca19ee92f62cb9ab.jpg672583439_batman_655_coverFlaw_8.0A_fr01.thumb.jpg.17cedbc54c397be699f8ca6cba6ea2a4.jpg

On 3/31/2018 at 9:28 PM, Kevin76 said:

After the ink is applied to the sheet of paper, it goes into a heatset oven to dry the ink, if the oven temp is too hot, the paper being run through (usually coated walking dead type of stock) will cause the paper to blister and create bubbles

@gradejunky, the answer from Kevin76 may be the answer to your query.

On 8/29/2018 at 5:01 PM, gradejunky said:

Have 2 copies of Batman 655 with a weird bubble on the substrate on otherwise 9.4++ books.  I can almost remember seeing this flaw on copies when it first hit shelves, and I made sure to get copies without it.  These I got soon after through the mail.  Does anyone else have any experience with this flaw on this book?  Regardless, what could I realistically grade these out at?  Thanks

709395411_batman_655_coverFlaw_8.0A_fr.thumb.jpg.9a6bda5bbaa8b2deec6490866cfa9395.jpg1238544600_batman_655_coverFlaw_8.0A_bk.thumb.jpg.b4f62f816ffbf0d3ca19ee92f62cb9ab.jpg672583439_batman_655_coverFlaw_8.0A_fr01.thumb.jpg.17cedbc54c397be699f8ca6cba6ea2a4.jpg

Does anyone know how this crease will affected the grade of the book? This appears to be a production crease which I have seen on many books. This one however is a candidate for grading. It's already been pressed. Thanks for your comments. 

20190307_180740.jpg

This is a very informative thread.  I just read pages 1-26.  It is too bad that this thread seems to become a "please grade my comic book" rather than information on the types of production defects.  Also unfortunate is the loss of photos (such as those Photophucket pics).

It has not been mentioned yet, but St John Publishing may have been the best/worst offender of production errors and I hope to share some images in the near future...

Saw this book posted - 

The description said "the cover has been trimmed (apparently the seller worked at a recycling plant in the *70's and kept the damaged comics caused by printing errors) "...

...wondering if its a production error or actually considered trimmed...I understand production errors can still get blue labels.

* note the date inconsistency...already inquired.

Thanks~

56806599_10220047173516640_637739571861258240_n.jpg

Edited by Ozonetv

1 hour ago, Ozonetv said:

Saw this book posted - 

The description said "the cover has been trimmed (apparently the seller worked at a recycling plant in the *70's and kept the damaged comics caused by printing errors) "...

...wondering if its a production error or actually considered trimmed...I understand production errors can still get blue labels.

* note the date inconsistency...already inquired.

Thanks~

56806599_10220047173516640_637739571861258240_n.jpg

I just had a similar "error" copy graded by CGC and it came back in a purple label.  I see your copy has the right edge of the cover (not interior) hand-cut.  Mine had the top edge of the cover (not interior) hand -cut.  To be fair to CGC, there's no way for them to discern a production cut like this versus the same thing being done post-production.

11 hours ago, Yorick said:

I just had a similar "error" copy graded by CGC and it came back in a purple label.  I see your copy has the right edge of the cover (not interior) hand-cut.  Mine had the top edge of the cover (not interior) hand -cut.  To be fair to CGC, there's no way for them to discern a production cut like this versus the same thing being done post-production.

That was my feeling too...I passed on this book...

tho it would seem odd to me to trim the cover without trimming the pages.

Hey everyone,

I just scanned through this thread before asking my question...some great information in here! (worship)

I have a copy of Atom #9 that has a bubble in the "A" of the logo, and there's no evidence of this defect when I look on the inside of the front cover...could this be another example of blistering?

Thanks!

Atom9_1.JPG

Atom9_2.JPG

14 hours ago, silverseeker said:

Hey everyone,

I just scanned through this thread before asking my question...some great information in here! (worship)

I have a copy of Atom #9 that has a bubble in the "A" of the logo, and there's no evidence of this defect when I look on the inside of the front cover...could this be another example of blistering?

Thanks!

Atom9_1.JPG

Atom9_2.JPG

You don't see any discoloration/staining (as if a water drop landed there)?

5 hours ago, Yorick said:

You don't see any discoloration/staining (as if a water drop landed there)?

@Yorick, thanks for the response!

There does not appear to be any discoloration or staining (I would expect to see something on the inside of the front cover if this were the case), and the cover gloss appears to be consistent on the bubble.

19 hours ago, silverseeker said:

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Atom9_1.JPG

Atom9_2.JPG

Yes, that would be a blister