• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Here's a question that I haven't found an answer for yet.  In the past two years (since I got back into collecting), I've purchased multiple runs from different sellers that have had diagonal bends coming in from the top corners of the books at a roughly 45 degree angle, maybe about 2" long.  Different titles, but mostly Marvel.  No color break, but definite very light "impressions" in the cover.  Sometimes they are visible in the back cover as well.  They are light enough though that you have to hold the books at the right angle to really see the reflection.  Looking at them 

The first books I received with them irritated me.  I just received another batch that show the same.  Anyone familiar with this?  My first reaction was that perhaps they were a byproduct of some sort of display case, but frankly, most of the books that I have purchased that show the marks are common, inexpensive books.  Not sure why you'd display a whole pile of them.  Any chance that it's a byproduct of the printing or handling process?  Thoughts?

3.jpg.fb056dca6649e5b7313848d6c7d85c30.jpg2.jpg.63e1b7decaa9e0eb63733cf67ae9ccdc.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

Especially since the impressions are at the tops, my strong suspicion is that in each case, a flap -- from the back of an adjacent comic's sleeve -- has pressed into the book.  Likely the comics were stacked such that there was substantial weight, pressing flap impression lines.  This would affect front covers only in cases where backing boards protected the backs.  Also possible from flaps tucked-in the fronts.  In that case a book's own flap would indent, and again back covers not affected. Flaps commonly become folded, like in store inventory, and the fold line can make a diagonal impression. 

Some manufacturers like those using the "Ultra Pro" brand (IIRC) had thick sleeves - a flap from one could make an impression on an adjacent thin-bagged or loose book.

Any comics that show lines on the back covers were no doubt bagged with no board (or un-bagged).  Anyway it looks to me that the size & type of impression is due to a flap in the book's storage history.

Edited by EC Star&Bar

On 7/6/2020 at 6:45 AM, EC Star&Bar said:

Especially since the impressions are at the tops, my strong suspicion is that in each case, a flap -- from the back of an adjacent comic's sleeve -- has pressed into the book.  Likely the comics were stacked such that there was substantial weight, pressing flap impression lines.  This would affect front covers only in cases where backing boards protected the backs.  Also possible from flaps tucked-in the fronts.  In that case a book's own flap would indent, and again back covers not affected. Flaps commonly become folded, like in store inventory, and the fold line can make a diagonal impression. 

Some manufacturers like those using the "Ultra Pro" brand (IIRC) had thick sleeves - a flap from one could make an impression on an adjacent thin-bagged or loose book.

Any comics that show lines on the back covers were no doubt bagged with no board (or un-bagged).  Anyway it looks to me that the size & type of impression is due to a flap in the book's storage history.

Interesting.....thanks for your insights.  That hadn't occurred to me.  Unfortunately, they are heavy enough to be noticeable when held at the correct angle, but were impossible to see in photos prior to purchase. After the second or third time I received books with those impressions (from different sellers), it really had me wondering.

I wanted to mention that in earlier decades of collecting, manufacturers advertised their bags as having a "tuck-in flap."   So when a flap was inserted carelessly, after a comic was placed in its bag, diagonal impressions of its own flap could appear over time.  (Comic shop inventory that sits for long periods can become messy from careless bag closing.)

Sometimes, dealers would insert flaps and still apply tape over the opening -- while for most collectors' own storage, tucking a flap in would make taping unnecessary.  I had a local dealer who "tucked & taped" on the bottoms of the comics in his inventory -- just one long piece of tape in the center.

I wanted to sumit a fe copies of Alpha Flight #1 to CGC and did some research.

Turns out these black production streaks (probably ink) don't matter and it's possible to get a 9.8.

Take a look at these pics of my comics and a graded 9.8.

However that bluesih stain got me concerned. Production defect ? 

Thoughts ?

12453320.jpg

20200713_165058.jpg

20200713_165047.jpg

15 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Turns out these black production streaks (probably ink) don't matter and it's possible to get a 9.8.

Thoughts ?

Production defect or not, it's noticeable...  hm

On 7/6/2020 at 6:45 AM, EC Star&Bar said:

Easily removed with a pressing, I'd wager...

25 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Thoughts ?

12453320.jpg

20200713_165058.jpg

20200713_165047.jpg

It's marking, usually from build up (harded ink) stuck somewhere some where on the press where the paper runs over.   

On 7/13/2020 at 5:25 PM, The Lions Den said:

Easily removed with a pressing, I'd wager...

Right, I'm quite confident that is the case.  For books that go for only a few bucks each though, it's not worth the cost or hassle.  The more like them I get though, the more tempted I am to buy a press and start practicing.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:38 AM, Jim Baird said:

Right, I'm quite confident that is the case.  For books that go for only a few bucks each though, it's not worth the cost or hassle.  The more like them I get though, the more tempted I am to buy a press and start practicing.

Had no idea a pressing/cleaning could remove those lines ! Thanks

I just read a similar post regarding ink on the cover of a NM #98.  I have a similar issue with a Uncanny Xmen #148 and what appears to be ink at the top of the front cover. The main response was, "It's production, when ink gets on the rollers and is transferred to subsequent copies." Is this what I have on my #148?  How would this affect the grade?  Thank you for your assistance!

IMG_3149.JPG

20 hours ago, Efrain Dominguez said:

I just read a similar post regarding ink on the cover of a NM #98.  I have a similar issue with a Uncanny Xmen #148 and what appears to be ink at the top of the front cover. The main response was, "It's production, when ink gets on the rollers and is transferred to subsequent copies." Is this what I have on my #148?  How would this affect the grade?  Thank you for your assistance!

IMG_3149.JPG

Welcome to the Boards.  This has been addressed here before, but it is not a printing defect.  Typically a distributor/seller marking a whole stack of books in order to identify copies that had been in their possession for return purposes.

Has anyone here come across mis-cut copies of Sandman #19?  I have not seen this on other copies of this book.  I made a mistake and bought the "grade" instead of the book.  I had no idea that a modern book could get a 9.8 with such a problem (unless it is a common defect across a majority of the print run - for which I could see it being given a "pass").

Sandman 19 miscut.jpg

On 8/11/2020 at 2:06 PM, Yorick said:

Welcome to the Boards.  This has been addressed here before, but it is not a printing defect.  Typically a distributor/seller marking a whole stack of books in order to identify copies that had been in their possession for return purposes.

So would this distributor ink damage get a blue label?

16 hours ago, Yorick said:

Yes, but it SHOULD be down-graded.

Thank you for both your answers as I recently picked up An Iron Man one with no bottom staple or holes yet all pages and centerfold are even...

Looking but lost a bid on a ASM 129 that has an excess of purple distribution literally splashed all over back cover and bottom of front. Was framed in the ink not just a top or bottom line.

Yet it still sold for over 600.00 

Just would hate to send in a book that has no chance of blue.

4 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Thank you for both your answers as I recently picked up An Iron Man one with no bottom staple or holes yet all pages and centerfold are even...

Looking but lost a bid on a ASM 129 that has an excess of purple distribution literally splashed all over back cover and bottom of front. Was framed in the ink not just a top or bottom line.

Yet it still sold for over 600.00 

Just would hate to send in a book that has no chance of blue.

I don't think I've ever seen a book with distributor's ink receive a purple label.  Plenty of them are in blue label holders.  You might find a thread dedicated to that subject somewhere on these boards.