• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

What flaw specifically?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, he can't be talking about the 2" tear at the top edge, so he must be referring to the offset stapling - the front half of the book appears to be several mm's wider than the back half of the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif . . . generally caused by a major spine roll.

gossip.gifDude's on Paris time gossip.gif

Yeah, the book appears to be majorly mis-folded. Seems to be a rather common defects on early-mid 60's Marvels. Or maybe it's just me... confused-smiley-013.gif

What flaw specifically?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Where's the 893censored-thumb.gif is my answer?

I'm still trying to find one with the flaw.

I can't tell without looking at it.

I'm going to the LCS today to see if I can find one with it.

Box up some of those sweet DC's and send them to me if you want a quick answer.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Even with the delay on yours, my turn around time is still blowing certain grading companies out of the water.

stooges.gif

Yeah, the book appears to be majorly mis-folded. Seems to be a rather common defects on early-mid 60's Marvels. Or maybe it's just me... confused-smiley-013.gif

I guessed that's what he's talking about, but I wanted to be sure.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Is 'foxing' a production issue?

The utlimate cause of foxing is still being debated. But temperature, humidity, mold/bacteria, metals (specifically iron taken into the tree from the ground) and PH are all factors said to promote foxing.

confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif

If this was an actual production defect, and not just a spine roll, I'll have to consult a higher authority. shocked.gif

An answer on how it happened will be posted soon.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What flaw specifically?

confused-smiley-013.gif

No luck at the LCS today.

But that's probably because I was running my trap instead of looking.

I'll go back tomorrow a little more focused.

flowerred.gif

What flaw specifically?

confused-smiley-013.gif

flowerred.gif

What? Do you live upstairs from the LCS? I'm lucky to get to mine once a month! hi.gif

What flaw specifically?

confused-smiley-013.gif

flowerred.gif

What? Do you live upstairs from the LCS? I'm lucky to get to mine once a month! hi.gif

It's only about 2 miles from my house.

acclaim.gif

Hi; DiceX I have a Production Flaw that I hope you can help me with 893crossfingers-thumb.gif. I have a Captain America #212 form 1977 that has the Marvel Comics Group logo missing from the yellow band that runs across the top have you ever seen this before and How could this have happened I have another and it has the logo and every other one I have ever seen does also maybe you can help me? confused-smiley-013.gif

I will attach a scan Thanks and this is a great thread.

589a8ca45f55d_573403-Caperror.jpg.505120f6178cd3159083478fc0eb18e4.jpg

Printing error.

Looks like the black type was taped off while working up the page, or more likely when exposing the plate.

My guess would be that it was noticed very quickly, and not many of these would exist.

Probably not a one of a kind book, but I'll guess you'll go a long time before you see another one like it.

When the press started printing the problem was noticed, a new black plate would have been made to correct it.

Something like this would normally cause anything that had already been printed to be destroyed.

For some reason, at least one made it through the rest of the process.

This error could be likened to that of the famous Fantastic Four #110 error.

It was noticed early in the print run and corrected, but for some reason the error copies were used along with the good copies.

How many exist? It would be tough to know for sure.

But I'll guess there are not very many of them.

Rarer than the FF 110 error? Who knows?

Thanks for posting it. I find these types of errors interesting.

Even more interesting that they go for 20+ years before being noticed.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

573403-Cap%20error.jpg

"Printing error.

Looks like the black type was taped off while working up the page, or more likely when exposing the plate".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Dice-X I still not sure I understand do you mean that the plate was made without the logo and when they spoted the error they had to replace the plate. Sorry for sounding stupid on this subject but I don't even have a clue how the plates are made could you give me a quick corse in how the process works, how do they get from original art to printers plates? I wish I could just see the process form begining to end as I to am very interested in comic book errors.