• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Hello, i have this hulk 130 that looks great except for these staple marks on the back cover. They arent holes but have the shape of staples. Anyways have you ever seen this before? Not sure if this is a printing defect or not

img081_zpscc16ad22.jpg

img082_zps7547a5e7.jpg

Those staple marks are from sitting in a stack with other books with rusty staples. IMO, it looks like your copy has rusty staples also. Not a printing defect. Sorry.

Great thread Dice,

I have questions with regards to grading on these comics with production flaws. I couldn't find another thread with that kind of thing and don't want to use PGM as there anyone chimes in just their opinion whether they have experience with CGC or not.

I know nobody can say for sure, but would appreciate some people's advice whom have a lot of experience with 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 and 10 books. I've only lots of experience with 9.4 and below.

In particular I bought a case of Silver Spidey #1's. None of them seem perfect to me, or 9.8 material but I'm probably being overly cautious. In each case assume that this is the only flaw with the book.

The particular defects I'm curious about are:

1.The white strip along the spine, some have said that this is considered a defect, even if it is the same width.

2. The same white strip if it goes from narrow to thick, so a misprint.

3. Minor bindery tear

4. Another misprint where it is the picture on the right edge that is slightly off center.

5. Minor blunting

Here are pictures to illustrate.

In this case I didn't take a picture of #1, but here is example of #2.

Spidey1_zps202e23aa.jpg

3. In the same picture above you can see a tiny bindery tear at the top, if that was the books only flaw what would it get. Here is a side view

Spidey1b_zps6facfb17.jpg

4. misprint on the right side, you can see a silver strip at the right side bottom.

Spidey1c_zpsadd0b6d0.jpg

5. minor blunting top and bottom

Spidey1d_zps9a9bde53.jpg

If someone could give their experience with how they would be graded like 9.6-9.8 or likely 9.8 kind of thing I think that would help me and many others.

Edited by comicnut

The highest grade you'll get on the book in the first few pictures is 9.6.

The white on the spine and on the right can still sneak into a 9.8 slab, but the curling on the spine, how the book doesn't lay flat, will not get a 9.8. It's called a stacking curl and is probably one of the most common flaws keeping a book from the 9.8 slab. Luckily, it's easily fixed with a press.

A bindery tear can still get a 9.8, but it hast to be tiny. Like hard to see tiny. If you have the tiny bindery tears on both top and bottom, chances are you're getting 9.6 at best.

The same goes with blunted corners. Even if there is no fraying, if the spine corners are dinged, you're looking at 9.6 at best in most cases.

A 9.8 can have a couple of flaws, but they have to be tiny. Production cuts such as the ones in your pictures are not going to stop it from getting 9.8.

Thanks DICE!!!

I had actually set aside all the stacking curl ones thinking they would only get 9.4's at most, so some potential 9.6's out of them for the slightly curled is better already :)

And I thought the progressive white strip (or silver on the right edge) would be bad (like how a progressive spine roll is worse) and end up dropping to 9.4 with maybe the slightest getting a 9.6 and anything with a whitestrip getting 9.6 at best so that is also good news.

:banana:

Edited by comicnut

What causes this splotchy colour? Here you can see it in the purple of to the left of Iceman

2db741cf2a707d74d10a8e36fad6bed5_zpsc98f778a.jpg

The pressman has to put color on the paper and cannot save the books until they get the color to where it needs to be, in order to get that background color, blue and red is used, if the red is showing, it needs more blue in the area. Back in the old days, color was set by hand. So the guy setting the color had to run back and forth from the unit to checking the books to see if it's where he wanted it, if not, he had to keep making the adjustments by running back and forth, sometimes all night long.

Hi, First time posting so I hope this works.

How rare or unique is this production flaw? I have personally read thousands of comics and only seen this once.

<a  href=http://s8.postimage.org/gruo2ox41/IMG_0270.jpg' alt='IMG_0270.jpg'> IMG_0271.jpg IMG_0272.jpg IMG_0273.jpg[/img]

It's called a splice. It's when one roll of paper gets switched to another roll with a piece of tape, there is always a "tail" after the splice which is what that is. Sometimes they don't take those out of the bundle and they get shipped out.

I am so glad I ventured into this thread.

I recently purchased 2 ASM 300s and one had a jagged cut on the cover and the other didn't.

I was afraid that the one with the jagged cut was a poorly trimmed book and would result in being graded poorly.

Dull trimmer blade

Great thread here Dice. It's neat to see some of the different defects that come up. This copy of Wolverine #1 has a printing defect along the bottom edge. Any idea how this would effect the grade of the book or would this be something that gets overlooked as it was a manufacturing defect?

scan0005_zps675ef01e.jpg

scan0006_zpsad7f99f3.jpg

Common defect on this book and doesn't seem to factor into the grade as it is possible to get 9.8 with it present.