Q&A Comic Production Flaws
14 14

493 posts in this topic

newshane   
  • 2,943 posts
On 7/7/2017 at 10:52 AM, newshane said:

Thanks for the insight Kevin! I'm somewhat familiar with the web press they used while I was in the newspaper business. While I worked in the press room at one point, I never operated the press itself. Back in the late 90s, I used to perform CMYK color adjustments to images before they would enter the plate process. That's about the limit of my knowledge.

Perhaps my grammar was poor, but I didn't mean to say "production flaws become released." I was talking about production flaws on a book that was recently released. How does CGC learn about these issues and what part do they play in grading? Kind of like what happened with Wolverine 35. It seemed like CGC was willing to overlook a production flaw in handing out 9.8s...at least in a few instances, until more perfect books came to light.

If you wouldn't mind, take a look at the picture. You'll see the arrow pointing to the color loss. It's hard to capture in photos, but you might be able to see the "indentation" to which I'm referring...basically a straight and narrow "scratch" that made contact with the book in a few places. I've placed a square around the area where it shows up best.

I'm sorry that's the best I can do, but based on the photos...what do you think happened and how harshly would the CGC treat it? After personally viewing and handling several examples, a well-known expert told me he was more concerned with the color loss than the "indentation" left by whatever part of the machine did the damage.

Thoughts?

deferct.jpg

UPDATE: I submitted three of the best copies I could find. All of them had the same issue with the color rub...just like every other single copy that I found.

All three came back as a 9.6.

No love shown for this defect. I can tell you now, Spawn 275 is going to be almost impossible to find in 9.8.

sorb3t   
  • 275 posts
On 8/23/2017 at 0:54 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Here's a book missing the black ink from the cover.

599ddd5f08c0f_noblackink.jpg.b1fe3bdde2eb1308e83c3d75182a48d8.jpg

Since it's a green label I guess that means they gave the comic a grade without factoring in the manufacturing error? I wonder then if that blue label takes the flaw it into account when grading, or if I subbed my comic if I'd have the option of blue label or green label, like with a book that has writing on it or something where you can specify. Interesting.

Bomber-Bob   
  • 9,283 posts
7 hours ago, sorb3t said:

Since it's a green label I guess that means they gave the comic a grade without factoring in the manufacturing error? I wonder then if that blue label takes the flaw it into account when grading, or if I subbed my comic if I'd have the option of blue label or green label, like with a book that has writing on it or something where you can specify. Interesting.

This book was graded in 2008, perhaps they have changed their stance and it would now get a Blue Label. They will not consult with you on whether you want a Blue or Green Label but I think you can ask in advance. 

NamesJay   
  • 3,218 posts
On 8/22/2017 at 1:49 AM, adrainsmith said:

FANdemonium Network has a collection of comics books. View it online....

GTFO

Kevin76   
  • 7,325 posts

I got the grade on my JSA Classified 1 It looked like a surefire 9.8 until I saw 2 small blisters on the back cover due to too much heat from the heatset oven when they printed the book, I was wondering if CGC  would downgrade the book over a production flaw. 

Came back 9.4  Grader Notes "Printer's bubble Back Cover"  

So now we know they do downgrade books for production flaws.  Book was flawless except that.  

B2D327   
  • 268 posts

Question: my copy of FOOM #2 doesn't have any staples nor holes to indicate they were removed. Is this a production flaw or were they all printed this way and if not, does this do anything to the value?

Kevin76   
  • 7,325 posts
On 10/10/2017 at 5:45 PM, B2D327 said:

Question: my copy of FOOM #2 doesn't have any staples nor holes to indicate they were removed. Is this a production flaw or were they all printed this way and if not, does this do anything to the value?

The covers are printed separate from the insides, one book just happened to have not been stapled 

Bomber-Bob   
  • 9,283 posts
On 10/5/2017 at 5:27 PM, Kevin76 said:

I got the grade on my JSA Classified 1 It looked like a surefire 9.8 until I saw 2 small blisters on the back cover due to too much heat from the heatset oven when they printed the book, I was wondering if CGC  would downgrade the book over a production flaw. 

Came back 9.4  Grader Notes "Printer's bubble Back Cover"  

So now we know they do downgrade books for production flaws.  Book was flawless except that.  

Thanks for the FYI.  Interesting. I had a SA book that looked 9.4 to me but had a 'printer's bubble' on the FC. It graded 9.0 .  

Kevin76   
  • 7,325 posts
12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Thanks for the FYI.  Interesting. I had a SA book that looked 9.4 to me but had a 'printer's bubble' on the FC. It graded 9.0 .  

Must have been a big bubble, this was pretty small and there were 2 of them. Coated paper is worse when it blisters.  

Bomber-Bob   
  • 9,283 posts
4 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Must have been a big bubble, this was pretty small and there were 2 of them. Coated paper is worse when it blisters.  

Actually, I still have the book. Here is a picture. It may be difficult to see but it is to the left of the A in Adventure of the title.

IMG_3186.JPG

joeypost   
  • 21,455 posts
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

They used to be a lot easier on that flaw, maybe when Borock left they changed their stance on it. Had an Iron Man #1 that looked 8.0 at best (due to the bubbles) come back 9.2, but this was a long time ago.

Edited by joeypost

divad   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 38,438 posts

WTF is a "printer's bubble"??? That's a new one to me. (Guess I haven't gone around the block enough times . . . ) :grin: