• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Submitted this on Ask CGC as well and await moderator approval and response.:

I have a copy of New Mutants 98 where there is a partial printed line/streak on the cover running through the Marvel logo and continuing through Cable’s face (see pic).  How does CGC treat something like this that resulted from the printing process?  Overall grade deduction?  Qualified instead of Universal?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

EFEA952F-90A9-427C-9920-0ED0C8752460.jpeg

On 5/14/2019 at 11:47 AM, ggovel said:

I have a copy of New Mutants 98 where there is a partial printed line/streak on the cover running through the Marvel logo and continuing through Cable’s face (see pic).  How does CGC treat something like this that resulted from the printing process?  Overall grade deduction?  Qualified instead of Universal?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

It may be production related, but it may not.  Have you seen any other copies of this issue with the same type of ink smear?

On 5/18/2019 at 10:55 AM, ggovel said:

I am the original owner - nothing happened to it post purchase.

I was thinking more along the lines of distribution damage.  There are many hands the comic passes through before it hits the shelf.  I find myself often upset at my local comic shop when there are spine creases or blunted corners on new comics because of the employees poor "handling" of the comic when taking them out of the distributor boxes.  They might even put the stack on the counter top where the book on the bottom gets smeared with some stuff that was not cleaned off in time.

The best way you can argue printing defects is to find other copies with similar problems.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

I was thinking more along the lines of distribution damage.  There are many hands the comic passes through before it hits the shelf.  I find myself often upset at my local comic shop when there are spine creases or blunted corners on new comics because of the employees poor "handling" of the comic when taking them out of the distributor boxes.  They might even put the stack on the counter top where the book on the bottom gets smeared with some stuff that was not cleaned off in time.

The best way you can argue printing defects is to find other copies with similar problems.

Thanks.  I had another copy purchased at the same time, but sold on eBay a couple of years ago.  I’ll have to see if I can track down any pics of that copy.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:47 AM, ggovel said:

It's production, when ink gets on the rollers and is transferred to subsequent copies. Usually, it doesn't have much affect on the grade, but this is more extensive than usual, so expect a bit of a deduction. It won't be Qualified.

Recently started to grade a few Silver Age Charltons I haven't taken out in years.

Noticed a manufacturing error on the pages of some issues. 

Should I lower the grade due to this? It does make the pages look fugly!

(Photos from three different issues.)

Thanks.

IMAG0603[1].jpg

IMAG0606[1].jpg

IMAG0612[1].jpg

One more question from the Charlton lot I'm grading.

Was there ever a staple here?
It looks like the staple went through the cover, but the holes in the pages, especially the centrefold, give me the imprssion the staple wasn't folded over and somehow came out. The holes at the cenrefold do no look open enough, or deformd enough for a staple to have been there. 
Or there for any length of time.749007672_IMAG06171.thumb.jpg.a20608548546c4bea464a885a9f3c1aa.jpg825905966_IMAG06211.thumb.jpg.8e4f6983b6e3235dc94aa1e356dd2e6f.jpgAny ideas? Thanks.

IMAG0623[1].jpg

On 9/18/2019 at 8:44 PM, HeyMoe said:

Recently started to grade a few Silver Age Charltons I haven't taken out in years.

Thanks.

IMAG0603[1].jpg

I don't see this hurting the grade at all.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:59 PM, HeyMoe said:

One more question from the Charlton lot I'm grading.

Was there ever a staple here?
It looks like the staple went through the cover, but the holes in the pages, especially the centrefold, give me the imprssion the staple wasn't folded over and somehow came out. The holes at the cenrefold do no look open enough, or deformd enough for a staple to have been there. 
Or there for any length of time.749007672_IMAG06171.thumb.jpg.a20608548546c4bea464a885a9f3c1aa.jpg825905966_IMAG06211.thumb.jpg.8e4f6983b6e3235dc94aa1e356dd2e6f.jpgAny ideas? Thanks.

IMAG0623[1].jpg

It looks as if a staple went through some of the book, but not all of it.  The staple dented the center wraps where it did not penetrate, and maybe someone removed the "problem" staple at a later point.  My guess, at least.  The missing staple would be a down-grade.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:44 PM, HeyMoe said:

Thanks.

IMAG0603[1].jpg

IMAG0606[1].jpg

IMAG0612[1].jpg

Interior pages didn't get trimmed on the foot of the book.  That jagged edge is from the knife box inside the folder where it gets cut.  Supposed to be trimmed off.  

On 5/14/2019 at 2:47 PM, ggovel said:

Looks like a bussell wheel riding on the image, they are supposed to be riding in the gutters. If it wasn't that, then it could be from build up on the angle bars or on the former board on the nose of the folder. Ink can build up so much from running it can break the web if it's not scraped off.  How CGC grades something like this? Who knows. You'd have to ask them.  

Can anybody shed some light on whats going on with this book...at first I thought it was just a lot of damage, but then I noticed its mainly in the black ink areas, seems to be overprinted by other colors and theres no damage to the non-printed areas at the edges...so it could be some weird production error. Has anyone seen anything like it? 

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 4.16.10 PM.png

On 9/21/2019 at 5:48 PM, Kevin76 said:

Looks like a bussell wheel riding on the image, they are supposed to be riding in the gutters. If it wasn't that, then it could be from build up on the angle bars or on the former board on the nose of the folder. Ink can build up so much from running it can break the web if it's not scraped off.  How CGC grades something like this? Who knows. You'd have to ask them.  

IMO, if the rest of the book is beautiful, this kind of flaw would keep the book out of grades higher than 9.6...

I bought a Bronze Age comic listed as 9.8 condition. Front and back covers look great, everything looks ok except for an obvious printing error-

The bottom corners of last 2 pages of comic weren't cut right and folded over diagonally in printing process. The 2 pages before that have a slight diagonal imprint line on same angle. See photos attached (shows front and back of these pages)

Assuming there are no other flaws on book (there doesn’t seem to be), would this bring a comic down from a 9.8 grade, since it wasn’t damaged, but was printed this way?

thanks-

F4B04E1D-E6D1-45D7-BC10-C3BF6976166E.jpeg

B6D20AA1-324B-421A-8D37-FD4AEC762530.jpeg

61E38BC9-7B53-4848-BB46-8CDBABB399EF.jpeg

600D7C10-F1EA-4171-B7EB-CCDD846434D9.jpeg

On 12/7/2019 at 10:02 PM, Lookin4Newsstands said:

I bought a Bronze Age comic listed as 9.8 condition. Front and back covers look great, everything looks ok except for an obvious printing error-

The bottom corners of last 2 pages of comic weren't cut right and folded over diagonally in printing process. The 2 pages before that have a slight diagonal imprint line on same angle. See photos attached (shows front and back of these pages)

Assuming there are no other flaws on book (there doesn’t seem to be), would this bring a comic down from a 9.8 grade, since it wasn’t damaged, but was printed this way?

thanks-

F4B04E1D-E6D1-45D7-BC10-C3BF6976166E.jpeg

Technically, it is an error.  This doesn't bother me at all.  I have no idea how CGC feels about it...

On 9/21/2019 at 4:35 PM, Yorick said:

I don't see this hurting the grade at all.

I actually find it a thing of beauty...

while I’m here, I’ll post my first double cover

BA1A8722-9A61-4FD1-B0A8-7EE29B99B256.jpeg

Edited by B2D327
Added thought

On 11/5/2019 at 10:07 AM, Ozonetv said:

Can anybody shed some light on whats going on with this book...at first I thought it was just a lot of damage, but then I noticed its mainly in the black ink areas, seems to be overprinted by other colors and theres no damage to the non-printed areas at the edges...so it could be some weird production error. Has anyone seen anything like it? 

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 4.16.10 PM.png

It looks like water/ink transfer.  When damp paper from another source is placed against the comic, and when the two documents are pulled apart, the ink on the comic lifted away.  It will affect inks differently (which may be why it is so prevalent with the dark colors).

On 9/21/2019 at 5:48 PM, Kevin76 said:

Not a big deal, but it would likely keep the book out of 9.8 or higher...