• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Hear is another Dice-X 893scratchchin-thumb.gif a Hawkeye #2 with a Captain Marvel #16 cover. This seems very unlikely do you think someone done this intensonaly working in the factory or could it have been an acident? gossip.gif Did or do you work at the factor that makes comics? Is this why you know so much about how it all works?

578997-capt_marvel_error_cgc_94.jpg.eeb610ae647d6c5bb7e1e6d72b52e837.jpg

The manufacturing errors on both books are possible.

As a matter of fact, I have (or used to have) an issue of Uncanny X-Men that had the incorrect interior pages.

The story pages were from the prior issue of Uncanny.

I bought it new at the LCS. After I got home and started having dejavu while reading it, I realized the problem.

insane.gif

I went back to the shop and ALL the copies they had were the same way.

I ended up having to pick up that one from a grocery store magazine stand so I could read it.

Hi Dice-X

I got another little error I was hopeing you could help explain how it happened.

I have a Marvel Presents #12 and the price has some white lines through it and I have found 2 more examples like it could this have been something on the black plate or could it have been a flaw in the plate what do you think?

583350-mp12%20comparison.jpg

589a8ca47044c_583350-mp12comparison.jpg.ccf246f5546724035f911e189fefca9c.jpg

Edited by cosmic-spider-man

The flaw is in the third one. The scan is small, so it's hard to see.

Looks like something was on the negative when exposing the plate.

Either that or a cut line where someone cut the "35" on the paste-up, when they were working up the cover.

I'd imagine this flaw would have ran the entire length.

It's nothing major, and the price is still readable.

But that's just a guess.

There may be books where this is not so noticable. The black ink could be flooded enough to fill this line in on the press.

You'd still see a hint of it.

hi.gif

I not realy sure about the third one but I think if you look real hard you can see a hint of it, may just be in my mind though.

Either that or a cut line where someone cut the "35" on the paste-up, when they were working up the cover.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifIs it posible that the 35 cent price was placed on the negative with a small piece of clear tape in the shape of the white lines and the edges of the tape came out on the plate, is this posible or am I way off base?

Edited by cosmic-spider-man

I not realy sure about the third one but I think if you look real hard you can see a hint of it, may just be in my mind though.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifIs it posible that the 35 cent price was placed on the negative with a small piece of clear tape in the shape of the white lines and the edges of the tape came out on the plate, is this posible or am I way off base?

Based on the positioning of the lines, I don't see that happening. Makes no sense if the whole price was cut in.

I blew it up a bit, and adjusted the contrast so you can see it better.

It's there.

583382-35c.jpg

Clear tape was not *usually* used over the top of an area that would print.

It would have been taped around the sides with red tape (which blocks out the light from imaging the plate).

It could have been taped down to hold it in place, red tape placed on the sides, then the positioning tape removed and left some residue.

It just seems an odd place for tape to be laid by a stripper.

I'm not doubting that's what it is. It could be.

confused-smiley-013.gif

583382-35c.jpg.198051e4a50b33506a406229f03f70d2.jpg

Based on the positioning of the lines, I don't see that happening. Makes no sense if the whole price was cut in.

I agree, POV.

Back in the film days, we didn't use clear tape for much of anything.

Matter o fact, our boss would have killed us if he saw clear tape on anything.

This type of thing would be just the reason.

thumbsup2.gif

It would have been taped around the sides with red tape (which blocks out the light from imaging the plate).

Exactly. Also a major reason for the fifth black (the plate which contains only the text and none of the black of the image). So much easier to make last minute changes.

Man, Dice. If that WAS from residue from just some positioning tape - that is a heck of a residue! grin.gif

Exactly. Also a major reason for the fifth black (the plate which contains only the text and none of the black of the image). So much easier to make last minute changes.

Man, Dice. If that WAS from residue from just some positioning tape - that is a heck of a residue! grin.gif

Not all strippers can be as good as we were.

flowerred.gif

Back in the film days

::sigh:: So no stippling nowadays? frown.gif

No opaqueing nowadays? frown.gif

Jeeze! Maybe it is time for me to get back ito the industry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gif27_laughing.gif

OMG! I HATED OPAQUEING!

893frustrated.gif

The upside was that you *could* get a small buzz from the fumes.

insane.gif

Did you work on these back in the 70's? cool.gif

I'm not quite that old.

I had the pleasure of learning the trade from the old timers that worked in the comic plant.

AND...I asked a LOT of questions.

gossip.gif

Back in the film days

Jeeze! Maybe it is time for me to get back ito the industry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gif27_laughing.gif

OMG! I HATED OPAQUEING!

893frustrated.gif

insane.gif

Did you ever have to stipple?

Back in the film days

OMG! I HATED OPAQUEING!

893frustrated.gif

insane.gif

I actually enjoyed stippling.

Perhaps because I was good at it.

acclaim.gif

Back in the film days

OMG! I HATED OPAQUEING!

893frustrated.gif

insane.gif

acclaim.gif

I was good at it too. Loved follong the angle. But when you got a 32 page 4-color circular going out that night - stippling becomes less of a pleasure! 27_laughing.gifgrin.gif

Back in the film days

OMG! I HATED OPAQUEING!

893frustrated.gif

insane.gif

acclaim.gif

I was good at it too. Loved follong the angle. But when you got a 32 page 4-color circular going out that night - stippling becomes less of a pleasure! 27_laughing.gifgrin.gif

That's when the tip of your finger gets numb, your eyes cross, and you want to do some opaqueing.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif