ASM #39 cgc 9.8 on the bay...

44 posts in this topic

The corners are so sharp on that book, I would hate to ship it.

....I never get tired of looking at that cover....certainly one of the top 10 covers of the SA. John Romita sure started off his tenure with a bang. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I could probably be happy with a nice 8.5, however.

awesome book, don't know if it's 35K awesome...but awesome book!

yeah, pricing is a little excessive - but then again, it's not like there's a bunch of copies lying around

There's a poor 9.6 on HA right now, much more feasible than $35k.

That top edge, where's the overhang?

There doesn't have to be overhang. When books were published all pages were equally trimmed along with the cover at the same time. Overhang is a product of the aging of the book. The more fresh the book, the less overhang there is going to be on a SA Marvel.

There doesn't have to be overhang. When books were published all pages were equally trimmed along with the cover at the same time. Overhang is a product of the aging of the book. The more fresh the book, the less overhang there is going to be on a SA Marvel.

You would be comfortable buying that book raw?

I'm not comfortable buying any silver age or bronze age book in 9.8 raw.

You would be comfortable buying that book raw?

How did we get from overhang to buying the book raw?

???

Would I buy that book raw? If I needed a copy I'd probably not have a problem buying it raw as long as I could inspect it in hand. I wouldn't pay $35K for it, though.

Wow! Looks incredible!

??? So the cover expands?

I think that comics are trimmed in two parts, the interior pages and the cover, then stapled together. Almost all comics have a different cover size from the interior pages, larger.

What a beautiful copy of one of my favorite covers of all time.

I think that comics are trimmed in two parts, the interior pages and the cover, then stapled together. Almost all comics have a different cover size from the interior pages, larger.

That is my understanding of the process. I believe Roy is wrong about the cover and interior being cut at the same time...thus having flush edges.

I have several HG SA books and all have some kind of overhang. I've yet to see any of my HG SA books have the top cover and interior being flush with each other.

I've only seen that on trimmed books. Just my opinion. The fact this ASM 39 in 9.8 has a flush cover to the interior is a bit suspicious.

So every curator should have no overhang.

That is my understanding of the process. I believe Roy is wrong about the cover and interior being cut at the same time...thus having flush edges.

I have several HG SA books and all have some kind of overhang. I've yet to see any of my HG SA books have the top cover and interior being flush with each other.

I've only seen that on trimmed books. Just my opinion. The fact this ASM 39 in 9.8 has a flush cover to the interior is a bit suspicious.

I actually think I am right.

First off, remember that Marvel and DC comics were printed on the same machines in the 1960's. DC was the major player and Marvel was the poor company operating on a shoe strong budget.

Marvel used cheaper quality paper and inks than DC which is why Marvels often have pre Marvel chipping while DC books rarely do (although it does occur...JLA #1 seems to be a common book).

DC cover stock was thicker but interior paper was of a different quality. Marvels seem to keep page quality whiter for some reason than early 1960's DCs.

Marvel also used poor quality oil based inks which would break down over time creating that oil halo that you see on the centre of so many Silver Age Marvels and rarely on DC books.

They were all (Marvel and DC) trimmed on 3 edges during production. Because Marvel used a different cover stock than DC, I believe that the paper changed shape as it aged while DC's didn't.

DiceX who used to work for printing plants that printed comics (Eastern Colour I believe) has already stated that Silver Age comics were printed by attaching covers to interiors by stapling them, then folding them and then trimming the edges to size.

But you don't need Dice to say it. Just start examining your silver age books, especially Marvels.

You'll notice that the edges of the books are not cut by a razor, rather Marvel edges have patterns to them from being sheared away...ridges and waves, as well as Marvel chipping and prechipping.

What is most interesting though is that the patterns that you find are present across the covers (both front and rear) as well as the interior pages.

If the covers were stapled on afterwards (a logistical nightmare if you think about trying to line up covers and interiors to such a degree of accuracy while operating at high speeds and printing millions of books each month) then there would be no way to match the trimming or cutting ridges between the cover and the interiors, but they do match.