• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge CGC Lot To Be Sold Near You

75 posts in this topic

It's a great move by Sterling. List 'em at set prices on his website, some will sell to forum members & lurkers (a ton of them out there). He saves on fees & whatever is left goes to Ebay. What's he got to lose by listing them on his site first & then Ebay second? Assuming he eventually throws them on the 'Bay. confused-smiley-013.gif

This is assuming that the website isn't more hassle than it's worth, and works perfectly, with no "you have exceeded your bandwidth" fun and games.

It's a great move by Sterling. List 'em at set prices on his website, some will sell to forum members & lurkers (a ton of them out there). He saves on fees & whatever is left goes to Ebay. What's he got to lose by listing them on his site first & then Ebay second? Assuming he eventually throws them on the 'Bay. confused-smiley-013.gif

This is assuming that the website isn't more hassle than it's worth, and works perfectly, with no "you have exceeded your bandwidth" fun and games.

You're absolutely right. The website might *crash*. foreheadslap.gif

Hey gang,

I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions (both on and OFF the boards).... btw, I have been developing and researching already proven inventory/payment technology to do the website (those in the KNOW know what I'm talking about) for another project....this will just have a shorter go live timeframe with much limited functionality. I was looking for a shortcut but really don't see one (that can solve the problems previously noted). I really meant it when I said a while back I'd like to have a real alternative to eBay for comic book buying/selling. They are the cheapest game in town but the other eyeballs watching my books are also the ones that will skip payment, give me a hassle, etc.

No matter what I do, I can't keep everyone happy, but where ever the cookie crumbles, I just want you all to know that you are swell in my book flowerred.gif

i agree with BOC, if he has the prices in mind, an auction is irrelevant. It makes sense to make what you can with zero fees first.

Wait, wait, wait guys. Of course the best books would sell on his own website and then the less desirables would be left to put on Ebay. The ones claimed on his own website would be the ones most likely to get top dollar on Ebay. So he has MUCH to lose doing it on his own first. The ones who have the advantage are the guys buying the prime material off of him personally that do not have to struggle with other bidders on Ebay. As I have said and Donut agrees, the small fee (maybe 6-7% listing and final value) will be MORE than made up for, and by far, when the prime books are being battled for on Ebay. Ebay is a force to be reckoned with and nothing can beat Ebay for producing top dollar in regular style auctions for these books. Plus, even some forum members would prefer to buy on Ebay rather than through some tiny website as we all know how Ebay works, along with payment, feedback and so on. To not go with Ebay first I believe is to not realize your best potential. ------Sid

Try OScommerce. It's free. Does Paypal, calculates shipping, etc.

Haven't changed the technology in years. Support questionable. I've seen some interesting legal action taken by the code owners. It has a hard core following but I didn't want to get that "hard core"....

i agree with BOC, if he has the prices in mind, an auction is irrelevant. It makes sense to make what you can with zero fees first.

Wait, wait, wait guys. Of course the best books would sell on his own website and then the less desirables would be left to put on Ebay. The ones claimed on his own website would be the ones most likely to get top dollar on Ebay. So he has MUCH to lose doing it on his own first. The ones who have the advantage are the guys buying the prime material off of him personally that do not have to struggle with other bidders on Ebay. As I have said and Donut agrees, the small fee (maybe 6-7% listing and final value) will be MORE than made up for, and by far, when the prime books are being battled for on Ebay. Ebay is a force to be reckoned with and nothing can beat Ebay for producing top dollar in regular style auctions for these books. Plus, even some forum members would prefer to buy on Ebay rather than through some tiny website as we all know how Ebay works, along with payment, feedback and so on. To not go with Ebay first I believe is to not realize your best potential. ------Sid

Sterling, I agree with both FD and Sid. You have some very nice books there that should grab some serious dough if offered on eBay. You have to remember that there are only so many people that browse this Forum regularly; others more infrequent. Those others also seem to spend good money for good books. Not to mention, the redf1shings of the world that I've never seen here. But we know they are on eBay regularly.

Sure the 5% or so will add up but I'm willing to bet the additional cash will more than make up for it. I don't care for eBay as much as the next guy but with a cache like this it seems to make sense to use them.....

Put them up on a website, and you are going to be picked apart immediately of the prime books.....and what you have left will probably go on eBay anyway.....

Jim

With that, I leave some memorable quotes:

Princess Leia: What is it?

Luke: It's Sterling. I don't know, I just though he'd change his mind.

Princess Leia: He has to follow his own path; nobody can choose it for him.

-----

Stormtrooper: Let me see your comic dealer identification.

Obi-Wan: [influencing the stormtrooper's mind] You don't need to see his comic dealer identification.

Stormtrooper: We don't need to see his comic dealer identification.

Obi-Wan: These aren't the comics you're looking for.

Stormtrooper: These aren't the comics we're looking for.

Obi-Wan: He can go about his business.

Stormtrooper: You can go about your business.

Obi-Wan: Move along.

Stormtrooper: Move along... move along.

----

Han Solo: Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal.

Voice: What happened?

Han Solo: Uh, we had a slight web site malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

[winces]

Voice: We're sending a comic dealer up.

Han Solo: Uh, uh, negative. We had a comic freezer leak here now. Give us a minute to lock it down. Large leak, very dangerous.

Voice: Who is this? What's your comic dealer operating number?

Han Solo: Uh...

[shoots comm]

Han Solo: [mutters] Boring conversation anyway.

[shouting]

Han Solo: Sterling, we're gonna have company!

-----

Stormtrooper: Let me see your comic dealer identification.

Obi-Wan: [influencing the stormtrooper's mind] You don't need to see his comic dealer identification.

Stormtrooper: We don't need to see his comic dealer identification.

Obi-Wan: These aren't the comics you're looking for.

Stormtrooper: These aren't the comics we're looking for.

Obi-Wan: He can go about his business.

Stormtrooper: You can go about your business.

Obi-Wan: Move along.

Stormtrooper: Move along... move along.

Cool......they're your comics to do with as you please. Good luck!

Jim

BOC: I am your father Sterling..................give me all your comic books.

Cool......they're your comics to do with as you please. Good luck!

Jim

As you can imagine, this situation is stressful, and I haven't firmed up what I am going to do. Having a large reserve at eBay or selling it outright seems (to me) that the same result will happen....except minus the fees. The redf1shing factor is a consideration... confused-smiley-013.gif

Having a large reserve at eBay or selling it outright seems (to me) that the same result will happen....except minus the fees. The redf1shing factor is a consideration... confused-smiley-013.gif

List your start price for your sell price on eBay; don't put BIN's, let them ride for a week and end it on a Saturday night around 10 PM Central

The exposure is what you are going for. High grade DCs seem to get the stupid bidders, hook, line and sinker. Don't sell them short on a website to forum members. Half of the guys (75%) here are master filppers and chances are, you'll see your books back out there on eBay within a week, listed with fresh new listing template with bells and whistles, pointing out top census, hot fogie artist, whatever BS hype job etc and fetching four times what you sold it for. foreheadslap.gif

or just stop messing around and contact the guys you KNOW can afford and will pay top dollar for your books and are interested, i.e., the second high bidders on books you've won or KNOWN DC CGC collectors...

List your start price for your sell price on eBay; don't put BIN's, let them ride for a week and end it on a Saturday night around 10 PM Central

The exposure is what you are going for. High grade DCs seem to get the stupid bidders, hook, line and sinker. Don't sell them short on a website to forum members. Half of the guys (75%) here are master filppers and chances are, you'll see your books back out there on eBay within a week, listed with fresh new listing template with bells and whistles, pointing out top census, hot fogie artist, whatever BS hype job etc and fetching four times what you sold it for. foreheadslap.gif

or just stop messing around and contact the guys you KNOW can afford and will pay top dollar for your books and are interested, i.e., the second high bidders on books you've won or KNOWN DC CGC collectors...

1. My prices will be collector prices, not dealer prices.

2. If anyone has seen my auctions, I do all the BS hype.

3. It sounds like I won't get any serious consideration here.

4. I am in various stages of consultation with other DC collectors, which is why I didn't even bother from a dealer perspective. No, I am not messing around.

5. I've canned the web site idea from a time constraint perspective.

Sorry to bother everyone here. Thread is now dead. You'll see the books (or not) on eBay or someone else flipping them near you.

shy.gif

I think if you are going to list them on your site alot of people are going to miss out and say 'I missed so and so book because i wasn't on the boards when you put the link up'

Put them on eBay and there can be no complaints, everyone gets a fair shot at them and you most likely increase profit

4. I am in various stages of consultation with other DC collectors, which is why I didn't even bother from a dealer perspective. No, I am not messing around.

Does this mean the short-shorted one got the 100 pagers he was cloud9.gif over?

confused.gif