• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge CGC Lot To Be Sold Near You

75 posts in this topic

Half of the guys (75%) here are master filppers

How do you become a "Master" flipper vs. just a flipper? confused.gifsmirk.gif

Jim

When you can consistently turn a buy from a forum member into at least 4x profit ... on every item...

1. My prices will be collector prices, not dealer prices.

thumbsup2.gif

2. If anyone has seen my auctions, I do all the BS hype.

confused-smiley-013.gif

3. It sounds like I won't get any serious consideration here.

very little...everyone is out to make a buck... sorry.gif

4. I am in various stages of consultation with other DC collectors, which is why I didn't even bother from a dealer perspective. No, I am not messing around.

Think you took my "Mesing Around" comment in the wrong way sorry.gif

5. I've canned the web site idea from a time constraint perspective.

Good call

Sterling, just remember that many of us here are harassing you about how you sell these books because we want you to get top dollar for your prized possesions. There are great guys on these boards but many of them (including myself) are always looking for more ways to make a buck off of a comic. Ebay really is the best way to go as it gives us no advantage. If these books were just excess baggage that you wanted to get rid of then giving the advantage to forum members is cool. But with THESE books there is no reason to give us dudes the upper hand at first dibs as you really do need and deserve to get as much for these books as possible. Good luck, I won't bug ya' about it anymore. ------Sid

Who said I was giving the guys here the "upper hand" in terms of price--heck, no one has even seen the prices yet confused-smiley-013.gif. No, I don't consider the comments "harrassing", but after two times trying to give some of my forum peers here a chance to get some of these hard-to-find-in-high grade DCs, I've discovered (as DD mentioned), that I misunderstand that the majority of folks here SELL books, and don't COLLECT books. If you collect these books, you wouldn't be flipping them.

Or am I riding the short bus again? confused-smiley-013.gif

No harm, no Foul. I won't be dumping these books and any inclinations anyone had that I would be selling these for a flipping day in paradise were incorrect.

Who said I was giving the guys here the "upper hand" in terms of price--heck, no one has even seen the prices yet

Agreed, and after reading your comments, I'm leaning more towards sticker-shock than madman flipping. grin.gif

When you can consistently turn a buy from a forum member into at least 4x profit ... on every item...

893whatthe.gif I love the "I'll pay a fair price" e-mails. 27_laughing.gif. Yep, market price seems fair to me thumbsup2.gif

893whatthe.gif I love the "I'll pay a fair price" e-mails. 27_laughing.gif. Yep, market price seems fair to me thumbsup2.gif

confused.gif

straight purchase is my current thought.

I may entertain auction style, but that would mean involving those eBay folks foreheadslap.gif I could put these on CL, but then the 10% cost would drive up my price further, and in many cases, I will be taking a loss on books I overpaid for. I'm looking at the bottom line price for all of the books, hence they should be priced to move--maybe not very quickly, but quickly enough. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

This message with the statements "bottom line price" and "priced to move" gave me the impression that you were not trying to make top dollar for your books but rather wanted to get rid of them quickly. That is why I thought us forumites would have the advantage whereas on Ebay we'd all be able to fight for them along with the masses of non-forumites driving up the prices. -----Sid

Yep, market price seems fair to me thumbsup2.gif

I'm not a flipper but I'd like to comment on this.

Market price doesn't necessarily equate to what the issue is actually worth. Two guys that really want an issue can send the price into the stratosphere but that price shouldn't set the market. After these two get a copy then the drop-off to a stable price could be drastic. I'd be careful in setting prices due to several recent auctions.....

Not saying you will as I think you're smarter than that but I've seen others try to use the last Heritage or eBay sale as justification for their high asking price only to hear later how disappointed they were when the issue didn't sell.....

Jim

straight purchase is my current thought.

I may entertain auction style, but that would mean involving those eBay folks foreheadslap.gif I could put these on CL, but then the 10% cost would drive up my price further, and in many cases, I will be taking a loss on books I overpaid for. I'm looking at the bottom line price for all of the books, hence they should be priced to move--maybe not very quickly, but quickly enough. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

This message with the statements "bottom line price" and "priced to move" gave me the impression that you were not trying to make top dollar for your books but rather wanted to get rid of them quickly. That is why I thought us forumites would have the advantage whereas on Ebay we'd all be able to fight for them along with the masses of non-forumites driving up the prices. -----Sid

I was one that sent a PM Offering to pay a "fair market price" on one issue. This is starting to have the feel of the "high grade collection" offered up for sale a couple oif weeks ago. I never told sterling what the price I would be willing to pay was, I assumed he would have a number, high or low. While 1 or 2 buyers can make a temporary difference, I have often referred to GPA to determine what a reasonably fair price is, rather trhan come up with some arbitrary number.

I had been interested in the ASM 89. I suspect a number somewhere near 5-600 is about the right number. If an actual auction is not going to be held, however, folks offering "fair market value" ought not be ridiculed.

Going back to the beginning I think I now understand the message: The seller wants eBay prices without paying any of the associated costs. If the seller does not like my offer, a place likeeBay makes it clear pretty quickly who is misjudging value. It also allows me, as the buyer to up my offer if the market tells me I am wrong.

I have done business both off and on eBay. I have found that in nearly all cases that I sell off eBay, except in niche areas like price variants, that I almost always hurt myself.

As a rule, I now post my books on eBay...I don't think a 3-5% charge is an unfair price for a place like eBay to charge to put you items in front of thousands of potential buyers. The question of selling books "below cost" (this applies to all sellers) is irrelevant, it only proves that you overpaid...so what? We all pay too much or too little all the time. I have sold a goodly number of books in my COUNTDOWN that have sold for slab cost or less...so what? As far as I'm concerned I re-captured some of the money I put into a process that I had hoped would turn out better. IF I get a 9.4 on a book I thought should have been a 9.2, I don't think about whether I ought to send a portion of the additional proceeds to CGC for generating a grade that will bring in higher proceeds than I expected. That is part of business. A good business recognizes the need to clear out "unwanted" merchandise at whatever price it takes to do so. That way it can allocate however much or little money becomes avaialble into new profit opportunities.

These are the sellers books however, and they can do what they want. I will say this however: posting information on a sale and then making the method of sale a moving target does not genertae goodwill.

Just my two cents

The impression that I got from Sterling is that he is having a rough time outside of this whole comic thing, so having the whole sale worked out perfectly with all the details set at this time was probably not one of his priorities. I think he was just giving us a "heads up" on what was going to be offered for sale. But then a few of us came on with ideas about how he may do better with his sales and he may have been influenced a little, maybe not. I don't think anybody should hold any "ill will" if he changes his mind about how to sell. He said right off from the beginning that people SHOULD NOT PM or make any kinds of offers at this time.

Sorry Sterling, I hope we are not butting in to your personal business. But you know us comic guys, we all have our two cents worth that we like to throw around. -----Sid

This is starting to have the feel of the "high grade collection" offered up for sale a couple oif weeks ago.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Going back to the beginning I think I now understand the message: The seller wants eBay prices without paying any of the associated costs.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The impression that I got from Sterling is that he is having a rough time outside of this whole comic thing, so having the whole sale worked out perfectly with all the details set at this time was probably not one of his priorities. I think he was just giving us a "heads up" on what was going to be offered for sale. But then a few of us came on with ideas about how he may do better with his sales and he may have been influenced a little, maybe not. I don't think anybody should hold any "ill will" if he changes his mind about how to sell. He said right off from the beginning that people SHOULD NOT PM or make any kinds of offers at this time.

Sorry Sterling, I hope we are not butting in to your personal business. But you know us comic guys, we all have our two cents worth that we like to throw around. -----Sid

While it was stated that PM's should not be sent, it is also obvious he has received many and then commented on them. It seems to me if back channel dealing is going on, it becomes fair game. BTW, I am not looking to profit from this potential "misfortune" at all. I have one book I have been trying to get for along time on the list. I just want my crack at it like anybody else.

I think BassMan has offered as good of advice as anybody on this topic. by the way.

Sid--I don't remember saying those exact words, although I did say they would be priced to move, maybe not instantly, but fast enough. Thanks for the clarification, Sid....sorry If I sounded inconclusive--mainly because until last night I wasn't.

To others e-mailing me--your e-mails, although appreciated, will be ignored due to the huge task at hand in getting prepared to price, list, and ship this many books. This is a forum, and I did start this--so comment away.

All books will be posted on eBay. I can't take advantage of the 10cent fixed price listing because, well, that's no different that just posting up prices here, right?

Jim--in response to setting prices--you are correct. If there is a key collector driving up the price then I have to go to the source on those books. Otherwise, some books may indeed stay in my collection because I refuse to let some of these books go at a drastic discount. If that means it has to stay in my collection another 20 years, or for the rest of time, so be it.

4GemWorks, I appreciate your comments and input as well.

M'kay? Greeaattt... (Bill Lumberg asking me to come in around 9am on Saturday to start scanning).

Watch out for those reserve fees, if you choose to use reserves. They're pretty pricey frown.gif

Brian

Yep, I recall paying $130 for a large lot of books that didn't sell. foreheadslap.gif I'll be going by OS/GPA (discounted to encourage more bidding).

This is starting to have the feel of the "high grade collection" offered up for sale a couple oif weeks ago.

confused.gif

Going back to the beginning I think I now understand the message: The seller wants eBay prices without paying any of the associated costs.

Stay tuned on that front, my friends.... gossip.gif BTW, eBay prices have been an up and down street--hardly the holy grail everyone here makes it out to be.