• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need your help with grading

7 posts in this topic

Okay, I think I've got this web thing figured out. Go here:

Web page deleted cuz I need the space.

and you'll see a bunch of front and back scans. There's a slide show dealie that let's you scuttle through them. If you want to see a full-sized scan, click on the picture within the slide show and you'll get a higher res copy.

I want to know if any of these are CGC material. What grades do you think they'll get? Some are silver, some bronze. All are DC (naturally). Any thoughts? Anyone want to guess the grades? All help is appreciated.

-- Joanna

Well I'm sure I'm telling you what you already know but it only pays to get your books cgc graded if you are selling them. Books in 9.0 or better will bring much more $ but to be honest I don't think any of these would grade that high. On the other hand in the mid to lower grades it makes the comic more liquid. You also have to factor in that you will have more invested in the comics by spending the money to get them graded and will need to get more money out of them to offset this. Again there is nothing on your page that would bring a huge increase graded. I would say your best bet is to not have them graded unless you are unconfiedent in your own ability to grade them yourself. This is of course just my opinion and I hope it helps. Good books all around but maybe not CGC able.

Have a good rest of the weekend,

Ericc123

Joanna,

Those books would be better left raw IMO. Most would probably fall in the FN to VF range, and for those particular issues I don't think you'd be able to justify the slabbing cost. To add to this, it's commonly observed that DC's seem to be graded a little( wink.gif ) harsher than Marvels, so I'd skip the slabbing.

I graded these without looking other replys. It seems I'm a lenient grader, ar least compared to Murph0.

Well here's my try at grading:

Adv 236 (F/VF) 7.0

JLA31 (VF-) 7.5

LL31(F/VF) 7.0

LL62 (VF-) 7.5

LL70 (FN-) 5.5

LL78 (VF) 8.0

TT4 (F/VF) 7.0

I mainly collect GA so maybe that's an explanation.

My thanks to those who have participated so far.

If anyone wondered why the obviously lower grade LL70 was included, it's because it's the first SA appearance of Catwoman, and guides much higher than other LL books. Since I usually just get small fractions of guide when I sell raw books on ebay (no one ever trusts my descriptions since there are so many sellers trying to rip people off. This means I get a lot of "wow, this book is so much better than expected!" feedback, but I don't get the money to equal anywhere near the value of the book), I was wondering if CGCing a book might help.

For example, the Adventure 263 has one hit on the census, a 9.0. It's a DC from 1959 and nearly impossible to find in any condition other than near-thrashed. I realize this one isn't a 9.0, but I wondered if the $20 investment in CGC might help my chances toward getting a semi-decent price for it. It's probably too big a risk.

I might put up some more possibles later.

-- Joanna