• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning

233 posts in this topic

Saturday morning we just got to the con with 15 minutes to spare. Crowds were large and we heard rumors about the fire marshal refusing to allow more people to enter. Also heard rumors that the building attendance was capped at 60,000. Constant announcements that Stan Lee photos and sigs and other opportunities were sold out. While Saturday crowds were big they seemed the least comic interested of the three days. This day certainly felt and looked like SDCC.

FantasticThor came by to say hi. Man, he is tall. Next year you've got to come to dinner with us.

Liaton also arrived. I must say he is a very cool young man. Polite, smart, happy and just a pleasure to meet. If he is the future of comic collecting we have nothing to worry about.

Great report Dave :applause:

Could we get a review of the original comic art for sale or length of the artist/inker sketch line ups? :cloud9:

That was at the far end of the hall and I never got there. I wanted to get a sketch or commission from Wrightson but got lost when I went looking for him.

Liaton might be able to help.

As far as dealers selling artwork I didn't see any. I debated taking a few pages but didnt.

A bunch of us went out to Chilis for dinner Sat. night. Afterwards dropped Artboy off at the hotel and like a fool drove across town to Lloyds Roller Rink to meet some friends I roller skated with back in the 80s. Was too tired to go but my old buddy Theo read my mind and sent me a text.......

'don't you dare not show, there are a bunch of people who came a long way to see you'

I arrived at Lloyds around 10:30 p.m. and skated until Midnight. Back in the 80s I skated every day, made a lot of great friends and had a great time. I was exhausted from the show and I've only skated a few times in the last 20 years, it was painful. After skating I had to join everyone for pizza and arrived back at my hotel after 3 a.m. :cry:

Sunday morning arrived too early. Arrived at the show about 15 minutes before open to find tons of traffic and lineups that ran around the back of the building. They refused to allow us parking in the exhibitors parking lot even though we had paid for a weekend parking pass and I had to park 10 blocks away.

Walking towards the hall, it's way past the yellow building. To the right is the

Saddledome where the NHL Flames play. They suck anyways.

calgarycomicexpo2012053.jpg

Spoke to the show manager Sunday evening after most people had cleared out.

Early estimates put the show at 50k, he was hoping for more like 54 when all is said and done. There was also a huge number of photo ops sold, which is unsurprising, considering the guest list.

Thousands of people came down but did not get in, either due to the Fire Marshal or line-ups.

The show was insane. The main floor never got that busy, but the media area was packed.

There were however, many angry fans who lost probably thousands of dollars this weekend, I spoke to several families who flew in and were turned away, loosing their photo ops and signings. One family from the UK who was unable to get in, as well.

I believe many of the photo ops and signings for Sunday sold out Saturday as well.