• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning

233 posts in this topic

I apologize that some of the photos are out of focus, but wanted to give everyone a feel for the size and scale of the event.

Good Night! zzz

Walking towards the hall, it's way past the yellow building. To the right is the

Saddledome where the NHL Flames play. They suck anyways.

calgarycomicexpo2012053.jpg

The yellow building, the 'Big Four' was drawn into X-Men 121 by Byrne. The fight scene in that issue occurs on the Stampede grounds where the show was held.

My next customer was a very shy 14 year old boy. He asked how much the

Avengers 1 was. We had my low grade copy for $400 and 500club's nice copy

for $2600. He looked at mine and then gave it back. I'm a bit of a joker and

teased him about something and he just turned and walked away. Oops, didn't

mean to scare him off but there's no way he's buying Avengers 1.

He came back and like a fool I teased him again and he again walked away.

He came back a few minutes later and handed me $400. I must say I was

surprised. I gave him the Avengers and asked him if he liked Spider-man.

He did so I gave him a decent copy of ASM 252. He was thrilled. I gave

him my card and told him to call me if there was any problem and I thanked

him for the sale. And yes, I'm sure I teased him again.

He walked off and then came back an hour later and purchased some

Marvel Star Wars.

Next time I saw him he was with his mother. She could not believe he had

bought a comic for $400. More shocked than mad but I'm sure the thought

that I had ripped her son off was in the back of her mind. She was also

concerned that he had been convinced to send the comic to CGC after

Stan had signed it.

Turns out they are farmers and he earned the money milking their 60 cows

every day and he spent almost all of it on one comic.

We had a long discussion about collecting comics and why certain comics

were worth so much. She didn't mind her son spending $5 on a Star Wars

comic; but $400 for one comic? I told her she had it backwards. The Star

Wars were relatively low demand books and the Avengers 1 was an

important old key book featuring popular characters and an easy book

to resell.

During this discussion I had a couple $100 type sales and then I sold

nice copies of FF 10, 14, 17, 26 and 28 to one guy. As I jammed the

pile of $100 bills into my Batman cash bucket she realized that grown

men were spending hundreds or even thousands of $$ on funny books

before her very eyes. And she could see that my cash bucket was

absolutely stuffed with big bills.

I also explained that it was a good idea to submit a signed book to CGC

to ensure the signature was verified.

And I told her she had raised a great kid and collecting comics was

a wonderful hobby and that comics were an art form.

I gave her my card with a link to the CGC message boards and him to

come here and read about comics and I told her if he wanted to sell the

book back to me at any time I would give him all his money back and I

told her to contact me if they ever had any questions.

The whole time that kid had a silly, happy, I'm in heaven look. He was

totally digging comics and the show and our discussion and he'll be a

comic collector and fan for a long, long time - unless they chain him to

a cow.

Such a cool, cool story.......one day, when that kid's an old fart like us, he may STILL have that comic. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

In terms of artists, the biggies in attendance were Bernie Wrightson, Mark Teixeira, Tony Moore, Cary Nord and Bob Layton. I'm sure there were others that people in the know would recognize.

One wicked kidney punch coming up for omitting George Perez. :gossip:

I worked with Major comics for the con, booth 609. They had 12 booths for comics, and sold a variety of modern, silver age and $2 comics. We set-up Thursday, and saw Harley pretty much buy everything in the show that was a good deal, along with a couple other dealers.

It was a long day, and I had to leave at 4 for my girlfriends Birthday, but the show looked great.

Friday I had some running around to do before the show opened, to set-up and do a couple things for myself, including getting a quick George Perez sketch. Sales on Friday were great, the show floor was packed, and all in all a great time was had. I also met boardie gyro-1, which was nice, and got to thank him for finding me a spinner rack. Unfortunately, we were so busy I didn’t get much of a chance to chat, I was pretty out of it all day dealing with the people.

Saturday I was supposed to do the 45 minute Stan Lee meet and greet with 10 people. Unfortunately due to signings/photo ops running long, it was cancelled/post poned. Sharon and Chandler and Desert Wind tried very hard to try and arrange some time that would work for me, since I was so busy at the booth. I did get a few minutes Saturday to get my books signed with Stan Lee, which was fantastic. During this time, I actually got to speak very briefly with Adam West and Patrick Stewart, which was very cool. While I didn’t get the chance to speak with him, I really have to applaud desert wind for trying to work with one person, while they had thousands more to deal with. Really, really great people, I can’t say enough good things.

Saturday around 1 I believe the Fire Marshal shut down the con, causing all the aforementioned problems. We saw a pretty big lull in the booth, and a lot of smaller media guests did as well, as everyone who wanted to see them had, and everyone else was locked out. Several exhibitors were not allowed re-entry as well. People stepping outside for a smoke were not told they were allowed back in. Also, advance ticket holders were locked out, but people buying passes seemed to be let in. It very much a mess. Eventually they started letting 100 people in every 15 minutes. The dealer floor was never very busy. I had heard this shut down was in some part played by a child having a meltdown in the media guest hall. I also made my only purchase of the show, a batman bathrobe.

Sunday morning rolled around and the entrance to the con was huge. The line-up to buy tickets before the show opened must have been a couple thousand anyways, by 11am they had stopped selling tickets till the afternoon. I actually found the show busier than Sunday. Business was great Sunday as well, and busy all day long.

This was by far my least productive con, I got perhaps 15 books signed, 1 sketch, and no books outside the few I got from the guys I was working for.

The convention defiantly grew a little too fast this year, as the convention defiantly couldn’t handle both Stan Lee and TNG cast. I spoke to many, many angry people over the weekend, that lost a lot of money spent. However, everyone who didn’t suffer from the lockout seemed to have a fantastic time.

I am really interested to see what they follow up with next year.

I also got a boardie a Mark Texeria Ghost Rider blank done, which turned out great.

Thanks Jim. Looking at that young man standing there I could see myself

the day I got hooked on comics.

I didn't start setting up at shows to make money, hell I could make 10 times

as much per hour working OT at work. It just seemed to be the next step

in a hobby I've done for 30 plus years and I figured I would meet collectors

that were passionate like me. Sunday was that day.

More and more I regret not being able to make it to your booth, especially after seeing the wall photos. I was going to swing by Sunday, but 2 people were no shows helping us on Sunday, and it was a mess.

Did you guys book a booth again for next year?

We will shortly, wish you had come by and said hi.

agree, would be great to meet more board members.

I also agree, that Sunday was my favourite day of the 3.

We will shortly, wish you had come by and said hi.

.....I tried to, but when I got to the border, they took one look at me and said,"Oh, HELL NO !!!" GOD BLESS....

....with a great attitude like that, you're liable to start making good money at it before you know . GOD BLESS....

Great reports and pictures - thanks for sharing (thumbs u

The story about the 14yr old kid buying Avengers 1 is so cool.

Edit - I have to ask how comes every time there is a nice lady in a picture the photographer has the shakes - what's with that? (shrug)

Awesome report guys! I'd love to of taken the trip. Maybe it's a show I should put on my radar. Since, I'm a hockey fan too, it would be a good excuse to visit Canada for the first time and bring the family.

I worked with Major comics for the con, booth 609. They had 12 booths for comics, and sold a variety of modern, silver age and $2 comics. We set-up Thursday, and saw Harley pretty much buy everything in the show that was a good deal, along with a couple other dealers.

It was a long day, and I had to leave at 4 for my girlfriends Birthday, but the show looked great.

Friday I had some running around to do before the show opened, to set-up and do a couple things for myself, including getting a quick George Perez sketch. Sales on Friday were great, the show floor was packed, and all in all a great time was had. I also met boardie gyro-1, which was nice, and got to thank him for finding me a spinner rack. Unfortunately, we were so busy I didn’t get much of a chance to chat, I was pretty out of it all day dealing with the people.

Saturday I was supposed to do the 45 minute Stan Lee meet and greet with 10 people. Unfortunately due to signings/photo ops running long, it was cancelled/post poned. Sharon and Chandler and Desert Wind tried very hard to try and arrange some time that would work for me, since I was so busy at the booth. I did get a few minutes Saturday to get my books signed with Stan Lee, which was fantastic. During this time, I actually got to speak very briefly with Adam West and Patrick Stewart, which was very cool. While I didn’t get the chance to speak with him, I really have to applaud desert wind for trying to work with one person, while they had thousands more to deal with. Really, really great people, I can’t say enough good things.

Saturday around 1 I believe the Fire Marshal shut down the con, causing all the aforementioned problems. We saw a pretty big lull in the booth, and a lot of smaller media guests did as well, as everyone who wanted to see them had, and everyone else was locked out. Several exhibitors were not allowed re-entry as well. People stepping outside for a smoke were not told they were allowed back in. Also, advance ticket holders were locked out, but people buying passes seemed to be let in. It very much a mess. Eventually they started letting 100 people in every 15 minutes. The dealer floor was never very busy. I had heard this shut down was in some part played by a child having a meltdown in the media guest hall. I also made my only purchase of the show, a batman bathrobe.

Sunday morning rolled around and the entrance to the con was huge. The line-up to buy tickets before the show opened must have been a couple thousand anyways, by 11am they had stopped selling tickets till the afternoon. I actually found the show busier than Sunday. Business was great Sunday as well, and busy all day long.

This was by far my least productive con, I got perhaps 15 books signed, 1 sketch, and no books outside the few I got from the guys I was working for.

The convention defiantly grew a little too fast this year, as the convention defiantly couldn’t handle both Stan Lee and TNG cast. I spoke to many, many angry people over the weekend, that lost a lot of money spent. However, everyone who didn’t suffer from the lockout seemed to have a fantastic time.

I am really interested to see what they follow up with next year.

I also got a boardie a Mark Texeria Ghost Rider blank done, which turned out great.

As much as I wish I could have gone this year, I'm almost glad I couldn't make the trek. Sounds brutal. I am, however, extremely grateful for my Tex sketch. Thanks again.