• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the Avengers movie OK for a 6 year old to watch?

18 posts in this topic

It's definitely not very bloody. The most blood that you see is the traditional Harrison Ford lip or forehead bleeder.

It's amazing that these guys are getting plumbed and thrown through buildings but remain in near pristine condition. Even their hair remains neatly feathered. The biggest injury is probably Thor having to run his cape through the wash because it got a bit of debris on it.

Too violent? When I was a kid, I watched "Cowboy and Indian Movies" and Tom & Jerry Cartoons. Is this "detached" violence, or gritty bloody stuff?

Personally, I don't think 6 year olds "get" this kind of stuff.

Blood and swearing aside, there is a lot of imagery that might leave an impression on them or give them nightmares (alien army, battle scenes, the hulk - stuff they are not used to processing).

When my kids were younger I tried not to push stuff like that on them until they were older.

Violent and aggressive - not bloody. Barely any swearing, and nothing that really alludes to sexuality (unless you count the audience talking about Black Widows skin-tight suit when she stands against a lit room).

Too violent? When I was a kid, I watched "Cowboy and Indian Movies" and Tom & Jerry Cartoons. Is this "detached" violence, or gritty bloody stuff?

Blood and swearing aside, there is a lot of imagery that might leave an impression on them or give them nightmares (alien army, battle scenes, the hulk - stuff they are not used to processing).

When my kids were younger I tried not to push stuff like that on them until they were older.

i'd get my wife w/ the masters in early child development on here but she'd start a rant like you wouldn't believe. roy's right, they cannot process this stuff and often end up obsessed- which is not a sign that they love it but are terrified by it.

i'd get my wife w/ the masters in early child development on here but she'd start a rant like you wouldn't believe. roy's right, they cannot process this stuff and often end up obsessed- which is not a sign that they love it but are terrified by it.

Yeah, that was the point I was gently trying to make. While there is no blood or swearing, the forms, ideas and concepts are mind blowing (not always in a good way) and out of their ability to place in reality.

Their minds are not developed enough to be able to make sense of this stuff and you start triggering all sorts of stuff that I believe shouldn't be triggered.

I get pretty damn upset when I see adults taking their kids to movies that shouldn't be for kids.

As tough as it was, and I really wanted to expose my kids to everything that I loved, I had to wait for them to mature and grow up before I shared stuff like the Avengers movie with them.

My youngest is now 10 going on 11 this year and she saw the most stuff that she shouldn't have but being the youngest and always tagging along with the oldest it was tough to prevent.

Still, we did our best.

I guess I'm the bad father in here!

When I was a kid, my dad let me watch Conan, Alien, Jaws, all of those movies before I was 10. Depending on who you ask, it didn't screw me up much :screwy:lol

My son has seen almost all the superhero movies in the last couple years and loved them all (shrug)

When I was a kid, my dad let me watch Conan, Alien, Jaws, all of those movies before I was 10. Depending on who you ask, it didn't screw me up much :screwy:lol

That explains a lot.

lol

I guess I'm the bad father in here!

My son has seen almost all the superhero movies in the last couple years and loved them all (shrug)

Same here (although I was probably older when I saw Conan). Jaws never really bothered me.

I wish my parents hadn't let me watch Alien though (and this was on network TV; Saturday Night Movie or something like that). That movie freaked me out for quite awhile.

Thanks, guys. I'll keep the kid at home.

Oh, and FWIW, when I was 8 years old, I got so bored at a movie I was watching that I snuck into another Theater. It was "Caligula". No lasting effects, other than the fact that I enjoy a Caesar salad with my Steaks.

my 5 year old daughter wants to see it. She knows all the characters. She was mad that wonder woman and spidergirl aren't going to be in it.

Is it any worse than Thor, Iron Man 1 and 2, Captain America, Green Lantern or any other less intense superhero movies? If not, don't worry about it.

My kids are currently 6 and 7, and they have watched all of the new superhero movies, except for Batman Begins and TDK, as well as the Harry Potter series (this Christmas). A year or so ago we watched the LOTR trilogy with them and they loved it. Even if they cannot fully digest it, they undestand what they can and easily pick out the good guys (or children like Hobbits) and cheer for them.

My wife was not keen on this initially due to her first useless undergrad degree (Sociology major with a Psych minor :tonofbricks:), but after seeing how they reacted and how I talked about it with them it was no problem. The key is just to explain to them up front that it is not real and there will be no problems. Heck, show them the "making of" parts of the DVD so they can see it is make-up and computers and that noone is really killed if needed. When they ask about anything that happened in the movie, make sure you explain it to them in terms they can understand and discuss it until they are satisfied with the explanation.