• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MLJ Archies

15 posts in this topic

I've been thinking how cool the early Archie and Pep books are.

From the cognoscenti: what would be the most affordable yet cool of the first 10 or so issues of the titles (Archie and Pep)? I do own the nice hardback "Archie: the first Fifty Years" which of course is a great read - I would just like to own a few nice originals, so I am soliciting opinions from the Board...

Thanks in advance!

I don't know enough to be of service but I get a sense that early Archie or Pep and affordable can no longer be used in the same sentence (to judge from a recent comment by 143).

I'd love a Pep # 7 ... but that's a non-Archie book.

So I'd go with Pep 27 or Pep 30.

I've been thinking how cool the early Archie and Pep books are.

From the cognoscenti: what would be the most affordable yet cool of the first 10 or so issues of the titles (Archie and Pep)? I do own the nice hardback "Archie: the first Fifty Years" which of course is a great read - I would just like to own a few nice originals, so I am soliciting opinions from the Board...

Thanks in advance!

For Peps, I think the coolest covers in the first 10 issues are 22, 23, 27 and 30. If you're into Schomburg, the cover to 29 is by him. None of the first 10 Archie Peps is all that affordable anymore, but 28 is probably the most common of those issues so might be a little cheaper.

I personally would pick 27

905387-pep27.jpg

For Archie, if you want bizarre covers, Archie 8 and 10 fit the bill. I like the Christmas cover on 6 a lot and would probably pick that one (my second favorite cover of the first 10 issues after #1). Price wise, 10 is going to be the easiest to find and cheapest. After that 6 through 9 are fairly equal price and scarcity wise.

My pick:

1267492-cgc12007.jpg

Don't forget there are also Jackpot 4-9 to consider for early Archie.

If you haven't seen this thread, it shows all the covers you're considering.

First Two Years Cover Gallery

And, you might also consider Archie 11 and 13 both of which have great covers, as well as Pep 32, 34 and 36. A little past the first 10, but still close.

Oh, great, I've got Pep 33, 35, and 37... the three Steve doesn't mention... :kidaround:

I agree with Steve on Archie #6 as well as 8 and 10 being great covers.

Pep #36 is the first Archie cover on Pep and is a nice book to own since it shows the Shield and the Black Hood carrying him on their shoulders. Unfortunately it's really scarce and is appreciating in value as well.

Pep 41-49 all have great Archie covers where he interacts with the Shield so any of those are nice to own.

I think of the early ones, I especially like Archie #4 and Pep #42 since both feature the Archie radio show on the cover.

Whew, I guess I am lucky, being mostly interested in Biro's Corporal Collins and in the war-themed superhero material, that there is no Archie in Blue Ribbon.

Not easy to find anyway, I seem to get, especially in lower, more affordable grades.

I agree with Steve on Archie #6 as well as 8 and 10 being great covers.

Pep #36 is the first Archie cover on Pep and is a nice book to own since it shows the Shield and the Black Hood carrying him on their shoulders. Unfortunately it's really scarce and is appreciating in value as well.

Pep 41-49 all have great Archie covers where he interacts with the Shield so any of those are nice to own.

I think of the early ones, I especially like Archie #4 and Pep #42 since both feature the Archie radio show on the cover.

+1 to all these responses and I would add Archie 2 which has always caught my eye (not sure it meets the affordable test though).

That fifty year book is great. The recent Craig Yoe Archie book and the Dark Horse reprints are must-haves as well.

Just got my Grades back for ARCHIE #23...5.5 and LAUGH #20...4.0,

just about what I thought they would come in at.

mm

So...if an ARCHIE #23, CGC Graded at 3.0, is offered for $375.00

on ebay...what do you think my ARCHIE #23, CGC Graded at 5.5,

would be valued at?

mm