• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why isn't this a Green Label?

14 posts in this topic

Guest Grails

You can request a blue label with the signature counting as a defect. It is not considered a witnessed signature.

Yep, Charlie is right - for a low grade book such as this, the default is actually to put it in a blue label with the signature counting as a defect. For a 1.8 book, an unverified signature on the cover isn't really going to affect the grade much (if at all).

Guest Grails
works the same for higher grade books too? And how much is the "defect?" for asking for a blue label?

I believe you can request a blue label for a book in any grade with a cover signature. I don't know how much they knock off the grade for the "defect" but my guess is that it would vary depending on the size of the signature. Along the lines of a one-inch color breaking crease vs three inches. Of course that's my wild assumption. Maybe Piersonite can drop in and let us know.

works the same for higher grade books too? And how much is the "defect?" for asking for a blue label?

I believe you can request a blue label for a book in any grade with a cover signature. I don't know how much they knock off the grade for the "defect" but my guess is that it would vary depending on the size of the signature. Along the lines of a one-inch color breaking crease vs three inches. Of course that's my wild assumption. Maybe Piersonite can drop in and let us know.

I was under the impression this was the case as well.

Have heard conflicting opinions here!

CGC has always allowed you to take a blue label instead of a green label - with the understanding that whatever defect that would cause the green label would then be counted as grade-dropping. A green label 9.8 with a page missing would turn into a blue label 0.5, for instance, and I've seen 9.8 green label books due to signatures drop to 7.5 when put in a universal holder.

The whole purpose of the green (qualified) label is to not kill the grade of otherwise high grade books that happen to suffer from a large technical defect - such as a missing page, writing on cover, large tear on one page, etc. For low grade books, however, those types of defects are allowed as part of the grade, which is why, most of the time, it wouldn't really make sense for a CGC 1.8 book to be in a green label instead of a blue.

Joey...you should offer them more info. The sig he's referring to is on the splash page. And from what I understand, assuming there's no damage from the actual sig, it will receive a blue label with the sig noted on the label AND CGC does not count that as a defect.

Joey...you should offer them more info. The sig he's referring to is on the splash page. And from what I understand, assuming there's no damage from the actual sig, it will receive a blue label with the sig noted on the label AND CGC does not count that as a defect.

No. An unverified signature on the interior for a blue label book is always counted as a defect. There might not be a grade drop (eg. a 9.8 can stay a 9.8 even with the interior sig), but that's all dependent on the size & type of signature. To say that CGC simply ignores this signature just isn't correct.

No. An unverified signature on the interior for a blue label book is always counted as a defect. There might not be a grade drop (eg. a 9.8 can stay a 9.8 even with the interior sig), but that's all dependent on the size & type of signature. To say that CGC simply ignores this signature just isn't correct.

Better said would be that CGC does not consider an interior signature as significantly impacting as a cover signature. However, I don't believe this particular book would have been affected much in grade due to the unverified signature due to the other defects. Did anyone else notice the ASM1 transfer ink on the back cover? That book deserves a 1.8 with or without Stan Lee's signature. I believe there was an example somewhere on these boards (I am useless with the search function) and I thought I remembered seeing a green label 9.8 be regraded to an 8.5 blue label due to an unverified signature...or that may be the crack kicking in.