• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Josef Rubinstein - Bad Commission Experience Warning!!!
1 1

128 posts in this topic

Oddly enough "souffle" in English is also "soufffle" in French...

Most word origins of English/US law come from the French.

I figgered they was latin

There is some latin as well.

Kinda like this simplified version

latin-french -english- usa.

It`s more complicated than that,but that`s a guideline for influence of legal language.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I'm pretty far out from the commissioned art and sketch opp thing around here, but I am always impressed with how there always seems to be people here willing to lend a hand, get things straightened out or help resolve issues. Glad I'm part of this place.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to email and say that today I got my painting from Josef Rubinstein.

http://cafurl.com?i=18426

It took slightly more than two and a half years from the original set up to the completion, but it did arrive safely and I am pleased with it.

Over the past week I have received numerous emails and scans from Josef and he kept me up to date (which wasn’t entirely necessary, but very appreciated) with the progress.

Josef did come through with the commission, which is awesome and I do appreciate it. He could have very easily just kept the money and not followed through, but he is an honest and stand up guy and did fulfill his obligation and he does deserve credit for that!!!

In the future, I do think that if someone commissions Josef they might want to consider using some sort of alternate payment options instead of paying for everything in advance. I would either use an escrow service like Michael at NSNArt.com is offering or I would pay once the art was finished…or possibly half up front and the rest upon completion. I think that if you send a payment once you see the finished art you will probably get your art a lot quicker than if you pay for it entirely up front. Josef managed to finish my painting within a week and so he's super quick.

I do have to thank Spencer Beck for his help with getting Josef on track to finish everyone’s commissions. Also, I do need to thank Josef for this as well. He did an awesome job with this painting. I hope that other people who have outstanding commissions from Josef also get their commissions soon.

Rob

Hate to read stuff like this, much less necrobump a warning thread, but my friend Al Bigley (an artist himself) has been patiently waiting for his commissions since 2013, and he's finally come forward about the experience on Facebook:

AlBigley_zpsl3mkxtpb.jpg

He used to send me private CAF messages asking if I wanted a commission from him. Not sure I really would want one, but thanks to this board, I knew it was an awful idea regardless.

Josef did come through with the commission, which is awesome and I do appreciate it. He could have very easily just kept the money and not followed through, but he is an honest and stand up guy and did fulfill his obligation and he does deserve credit for that!!!

This comment is curious in that, in what civilized society does a person get complimented on simply fulfilling an obligation, and a painfully delayed one at that? There's way too many fanboys tho kowtow to the outrageously rude and unacceptable behavior of artists, who treat them like gods and accept being treated like peasants.

In related news, I went to a restaurant, ordered a steak medium rare, the guy brought me a knife, dropped it on the dirty ground, picked it up, put it on the table and walked away to get my steak, which was well done and dry with a hair in it. I'm giving 'em a five star Yelp review because the waiter could have easily took that knife and stabbed me relentlessly and also spit in my food, so they deserve credit for sparing my life and health... :)

The more people put up with bad behavior, the more it supports its continuation to exist. Economic boycotts seem to work best 'til the problems are resolved.

I've never had a problem with Rubinstein, but then again, I've never done a cash in advance commission request with him either.

Heh, at least he didn't offer to ink an already inked piece like he did to a friend of mine.

At least he doesn't cold solicit me anymore. It makes no sense why he keeps on doing that when he owes a ton to people already.

Malvin

OK I'm new on here ( thou thought I was already a member) I'm known around the collecting world.. if not google me lol anyways Joe has owed me a piece for 8 years now with nothing but lies over and over and I have all the emails to prove it etc.. finally fed up last year after 2 more years of lies from him I asked for a refund to which he never responded... I have so many emails of OH it was mailed out.. ok whats the tracking # I dont have it... DO you have a photo ot scan of the art.. NO.. etc etc so there are plenty of us and I started a thread years ago about same on 2 other art collector forums.. so yeah and no lie he trolled me a few years ago about inking stuff and he had owed me the piece for 5 years.... ughh he is one of the most unprofessional artists I have dealt with and I have commissioned somewhere in the 2,000 piece area over the last 27 years so yeah... and he only contacted me back the last time after I went public with it like Al did this time.. and 2 years later I still never got anything but excuses and lies.. and like I said when I said I'm done give me a refund... no reply.... that was a year ago and he never responded to any emails since...

I just want to say I belong to the other side of the fence.

I have commissioned Joe in the past and have gotten good results. His communication has been good and also his responses to my comments or requests for revisions after he sends me work-in-progress scans. These were all done in the last year with no problems:

Flash 254 Recreation

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=890565

X-Men Dark Phoenix Saga Commission

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=845107

I am in no way defending him or condemning him. I am just sharing my own personal experiences which have been good.

I just want to revive what i said here since this thread has been revived too.

The reason why I got quick turnaround from Joe Rubinstein was because:

1. I offered to pay only a fraction of the commission price upfront (I can't remember but it could have been 10% or 20%). He accepted it.

2. I asked him to send me work-in-progress pictures. Only when I got the completed scan did I pay the remainder (80% or 90%) of the balance.

3. After those two successful commission experiences, I have also been getting some private messages and emails from him to ink some of the pencil pieces I owned but I wasn't really interested.

I feel sorry for the people who may have been burned here. I wish them the best and hope things can be resolved. However, I cannot deny Rubinstein's talent and his commissions were really awesome.

Folks you can just keep posting links to this thread on his FB page to alert other potential suckers. He can block but if people keep doing it it will have an effect.

I got a few emails from him via comic art fans a few times. I stopped keeping a wantlist after He tried to sell me pages that were listed at the artists choice during one of their 50% sales, at full price.

On 5/15/2012 at 7:41 PM, seanfingh said:

Who said anything about being a humanitarian? Everything I posted relates to the Beck-Rubinstein representative/client relationship. It would be easy to say "F yourself Rubinstein, fix your own problems and find a new rep while you are at it."

Spencer Beck didn't do that, and I reiterate, it says a lot about his character.

Hey man, I found this thread after your more recent comment. This dates back from 2012-2016, don't know if Joe ever got to all these comissions and if he has changed since. E-mailing me randomly is not a good sign.

Edited by William-James88