• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Josef Rubinstein - Bad Commission Experience Warning!!!
1 1

128 posts in this topic

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761Been working with Joe Rubinstein since 2016 on numerous commissions. The work has included original creations, inking, coloring, and a series of sketch cards. HIs communication has almost always been instant, prices very fair, the quality of work has always been super and often extraordinary.  For several hard deadlines where I explained to Joe in advance I had to have a piece by an exact due date, he hit the mark 100% of the time and never let me down. Joe works in many mediums and offers commissions at many different price points. My dealings have always been professional and I highly recommend Joe Rubinstein. 

Troy R Kinunen, 414 828 9990, troy@mearsonline.com

adam rubinstein captain marvel.JPG

adams neal and rubinstein joe 11x17 reb brown captain america.jpg

rubinstein capt marvel  11x17 and 1974 captain marvel jackson bostwick.jpg

katz jack & rubinstein joe 11x17 submariner.JPG

katz jack & rubinstein joe 11x17 bulletman.JPG

katz jack & rubinstein joe 11x17 shazam.JPG

bald ken &  rubinstein joe captain america.JPG

bald ken & rubinstein Joe 11x17 .JPG

rubinstein batman & Troy.JPG

batman rubinstein.JPG

rubinstein joe troy jr hulk.JPG

Edited by Pop Con Milwaukee

Is that you Joe?  :ph34r:

Seriously tho, I like hearing good commission stories from time to time. It’s nice to have balance.

And that guy is all over social media, pimping his availability. More than once, Joe has commented on my comments out of the blue, letting me know HE was available to do whatever it was we were talking about. 

Recent example: I posted one of my big Hale paintings in an OA Commissions topic on Facebook. Got some lovely comments on it. But there is Joe, just letting me know, he ALSO does painted commissions!

Holy unsolicited offers, Batman!

I can’t tell you how loud a laugh that got out of me. Only that it startled the dog when I did it. The mental comparison alone left me chuckling all day.

I don’t blame a guy for hustling, but come on. It’s easier to post to the appropriate groups periodically that you are taking commissions. But this is a way of skirting the no buy/sell rules in some groups I guess?

I’ve never commissioned Joe for anything. I’m sure he has had his moments doing right by folks. His art isn’t for me. But I’ve heard all the commission horror stories over the last couple decades too. When I saw this thread resurrected I just thought, not again!

Hopefully he is not falling back into old habits, and he is keeping people happy these days.

Did I avert a complete disaster? I had a pencil only Ron Frenz piece in my CAF. Out of nowhere unsolicited Joe reached out and offered to ink the pencil cover for me.I politely turned him down only because the Frenz pencils were so good I didn't want to mess with the piece. He asked me if I realized that he did inks on Ron's ASM ( I knew this already).

No harm no foul. I even figured hey that's pretty enterprising to reach out proactively.

Sad to hear there are bad experiences out there.

20 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Hey man, I found this thread after your more recent comment. This dates back from 2012-2016, don't know if Joe ever got to all these comissions and if he has changed since. E-mailing me randomly is not a good sign.

I have known Joe on and off for 35 years, mostly off, but when I have had dealings with him, he has been very good and professional. He inked a drawing of mine by Byrne back in 1980, and then, I saw him again after an eternity, just last year. The interim was the off period. My guess is the contraction in the comic market is hurting his income, so I cannot fault his aggressiveness. I also wouldn’t have a problem hiring him. He does have a website, so, you can always get something ready made if it is a concern. 

CAF solicitations sounded weird to me as I read through some of the posts in this topic, but then I actually got a solicitation just today after I posted some new pieces in my gallery. It wasn't Rubinstein. A dealer linked his CAF gallery and invited me to come look at his client's stuff. It felt strange, but I guess it's no big deal. It lets me see art I might not have known was available that I may be interested in.