• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First appearance of Sonic the Hedgehog?
1 1

69 posts in this topic

I'm getting conflicting information on what his first appearance in comic form is. Otherwise, it's gamers monthly, and I don't consider that to be it. Is it Sega's mini comic, or the 1/4 issue they released a year before Archie comics released #0? Confusing. I think it might actually be a little known issue of Justice League Europe #33. It came out in December 1991, and Overstreet doesn't even list it. Thoughts? (shrug)

It would have been easier if they put a month on it, and not just Fall 1991. Technically, December is Fall, so the justice league issue could have been released before it or simulaniously, but I doubt it. I think you're probably right. I looked and I couldn't find any sonic threads.

It would have been easier if they put a month on it, and not just Fall 1991. Technically, December is Fall, so the justice league issue could have been released before it or simulaniously, but I doubt it. I think you're probably right. I looked and I couldn't find any sonic threads.

Based on some PMs I had related to Sonic, the threads were from late '09, so the search function won't find 'em.

The Fall 1991 date does make it tougher to pin down which came first, especially if we don't know how the mini was distributed. I don't know if this was on the stands with the regular books, a video game promotion, special order, etc. I know several people on these boards look up print runs & distribution figures all the time. Maybe there would be some data for the fall of '91 months (and/or the months preceding?) that would tell us when it shipped/came out (if it was, in fact, on the stands). If not, I'm still stumped.

Based on some PMs I had related to Sonic, the threads were from late '09, so the search function won't find 'em.

The Fall 1991 date does make it tougher to pin down which came first, especially if we don't know how the mini was distributed. I don't know if this was on the stands with the regular books, a video game promotion, special order, etc. I know several people on these boards look up print runs & distribution figures all the time. Maybe there would be some data for the fall of '91 months (and/or the months preceding?) that would tell us when it shipped/came out (if it was, in fact, on the stands). If not, I'm still stumped.

And if it's proven that the superman and justice league issues are the true first appearance of sonic? hm

That auction that sold for $172 looks like it was trimmed or something. If you look at the pics on the auction page, the word "advertisement" is cut off on each page.

Do the inserts in JLE 33 and Superman contain the full 16 pages of the promo?

Yeah all 16 pages are there. Looks like the only difference is "advertisement" is printed on the top of each of the pages.

No cover price either.

So someone didn't yank out the 16 page insert from a JLE 33, call it a preview comic, and rip someone for $172?

They might have. If you zoom in at the top of the book, it looks like the bottom half of the word "Advertisement" can be seen. It could have been trimmed, it could have been cut poorly during production. Hard to tell from scans.

As fas as other differences, the mini has a glossy cover. I think the insert is paper stock throughout, but I cannot confirm.