• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First appearance of Sonic the Hedgehog?
1 1

69 posts in this topic

It would have been easier if they put a month on it, and not just Fall 1991. Technically, December is Fall, so the justice league issue could have been released before it or simulaniously, but I doubt it. I think you're probably right. I looked and I couldn't find any sonic threads.

Based on some PMs I had related to Sonic, the threads were from late '09, so the search function won't find 'em.

The Fall 1991 date does make it tougher to pin down which came first, especially if we don't know how the mini was distributed. I don't know if this was on the stands with the regular books, a video game promotion, special order, etc. I know several people on these boards look up print runs & distribution figures all the time. Maybe there would be some data for the fall of '91 months (and/or the months preceding?) that would tell us when it shipped/came out (if it was, in fact, on the stands). If not, I'm still stumped.

And if it's proven that the superman and justice league issues are the true first appearance of sonic? hm

Guys, sorry I missed this post.

The 1st appearance is NOT the Superman or JLE books. They definitely came later.

The Sonic comic I've been posting came out in the late Summer 1991, September and October. CGC gives it the Fall 1991 distinction because that's whats on the inside indicia of the comic.

It was originally distributed inside magazines. Hence the late Summer 1991, September and October months for distribution. It was inside a Disney Adventures magazine, a Sega Visions magazine, and a Mean Machines magazine. The Disney Adventures magazine has Michael Jordan on the cover, while the Sega Visions says "kid chameleon" on it. I haven't figured out the exact Mean Machines issue yet.

They were inside the magazines. So if you ever find a sealed issue buy it! But truthfully they are impossibly hard to find, since most people who bought those magazines just threw out the stuff inside. Think about it, how often do you keep the junk mail inserts inside a magazine? Let alone put them inside a comic book bag and take care of them? lol

Edit: information debunked. Sonic story is in those magazines, but reprinted in the magazine itself and not a mini comic inserted inside.

Edited by maloney414

THANK YOU! (worship)

I have been asking for years, but never got an answer as to its distribution. Since it has its own cover price, I thought it might have been a stand-alone issue. Good stuff. (thumbs u

It would have been easier if they put a month on it, and not just Fall 1991. Technically, December is Fall, so the justice league issue could have been released before it or simulaniously, but I doubt it. I think you're probably right. I looked and I couldn't find any sonic threads.

Based on some PMs I had related to Sonic, the threads were from late '09, so the search function won't find 'em.

You CAN search the entire 10 years of the Boards, but you can only do it in 2 year increments. Just set your parameters differently for the year you want.

Yep, those auctions are a scam. The insides of the Superman and JLE comics are newsprint paper. Clearly what you have in that auction.

The real Sonic #1 looks like this:

sonic11soldoneBayfor441Dec2011.jpg

sonic21.jpg

sonic31.jpg

sonic41.jpg

sonic51.jpg

Looks like my question was answered. Time to start looking for those magazines.

THANK YOU! (worship)

I have been asking for years, but never got an answer as to its distribution. Since it has its own cover price, I thought it might have been a stand-alone issue. Good stuff. (thumbs u

Good point. Why does it have a cover price if it was a give-away in a magazine?

Someone explain this listing to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110880851557

Does this guy have the original? It looks as though the story is actually printed inside the magazine instead of being an insert. The mini version, I mean. Or would that be removeable or something?? Confused! :insane:

Edited by Sa'm al Ghul

Someone explain this listing to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110880851557

Does this guy have the original? It looks as though the story is actually printed inside the magazine instead of being an insert. The mini version, I mean. Or would that be removeable or something?? Confused! :insane:

Yeah, I always thought they were "pull-out" inserts. "Pull-out" being they term usually used to describe the magazines. Looks like I'm wrong because that's the exact magazine I thought the comic was included with. :tonofbricks:

The RMA link says the comic was released before the mags.

That first auction says in the description he got it from a Disney Adventures magazine. So maybe it was distributed that way. I was always lead to believe that was the case. Maybe, just not in the Michael Jordan one. Ah, the mystery continues...

RMAs link also says that it was a stand-alone AND a freebie in the magazines, but the freebies were usually only seven pages long. The auctions I posted show scans of page 12 & 15 respectively. The link to the auction at the top of the page mentions that each of the magazines contain 7 page Sonic stories. Starting to tie together.

Looks like the stand alone has 15 pages & the magazines have seven pages printed in the magazines themselves. At first, I thought the magazines contained a removeable comic that was the same size as the mini, but I no longer think that is the case. Plus, if these were 'inserted' into the magazines, I would think that any copies removed would look like hell.

That first auction says in the description he got it from a Disney Adventures magazine. So maybe it was distributed that way. I was always lead to believe that was the case. Maybe, just not in the Michael Jordan one. Ah, the mystery continues...

I contacted that guy and asked him about it and this is the reply I got:

"I had been doing some research and assumed that my copy came with a Disney Adventures Magazine because I used to buy them as a child, however another eBay member emailed me and informed me that he has that Disney Magazine and the comic was simply reprinted in the magazine, not inserted as a stand alone comic.

These must have been sold separately for the $1.50 cover price. It predates my comic book collecting years so I don't know why I would've bought it, maybe they sold it at Toys R Us or something like that and I convinced my parents to buy it for me, or someone else bought it for me and it managed to survive all these years. I don't clearly remember because I was only 6 at the time. Hope that helps."

So yeah, there you go...

I also contacted another guy selling a copy of DA because of the sonic stuff and he said that the story is printed within the magazine, but it's printed on a heavier weight of paper.

The Fall 1991 date does make it tougher to pin down which came first, especially if we don't know how the mini was distributed. I don't know if this was on the stands with the regular books, a video game promotion, special order, etc. I know several people on these boards look up print runs & distribution figures all the time. Maybe there would be some data for the fall of '91 months (and/or the months preceding?) that would tell us when it shipped/came out (if it was, in fact, on the stands). If not, I'm still stumped.

And if it's proven that the superman and justice league issues are the true first appearance of sonic? hm

Guys, sorry I missed this post.

The 1st appearance is NOT the Superman or JLE books. They definitely came later.

The Sonic comic I've been posting came out in the late Summer 1991, September and October. CGC gives it the Fall 1991 distinction because that's whats on the inside indicia of the comic.

It was originally distributed inside magazines. Hence the late Summer 1991, September and October months for distribution. It was inside a Disney Adventures magazine, a Sega Visions magazine, and a Mean Machines magazine. The Disney Adventures magazine has Michael Jordan on the cover, while the Sega Visions says "kid chameleon" on it. I haven't figured out the exact Mean Machines issue yet.

They were inside the magazines. So if you ever find a sealed issue buy it! But truthfully they are impossibly hard to find, since most people who bought those magazines just threw out the stuff inside. Think about it, how often do you keep the junk mail inserts inside a magazine? Let alone put them inside a comic book bag and take care of them? lol

Edit: information debunked. Sonic story is in those magazines, but reprinted in the magazine itself and not a mini comic inserted inside.

Ok. So here's where we are at (i think): Sonic mini comic came from somewhere else,(hence the price tag) other than one of the magazines mentioned. Theres no insert in said magazines, just a few page preview on the interior pages. So where did the mini comic come from? Is it the consensus now that the mini comic is his first appearance? What came next? The 1/4 issue? Where did that come from? The next appearances I know of are from a major comic book maker (DC), and are in the pages of superman 62 and JLE 33 from Dec. 1991. After that it's probably the regular Archie's. Thoughts?

Edited by Dungeon