• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I consider a minor restoration to this comic?

4 posts in this topic

I have one of those Justice League 100 pagers (#114) The covers real nice - flat, nice corners, no spine stress but the cover is separated from the rest of the book all the way from the bottom to about 3"up. Would taking a glue stick to this comic be a good idea considering all the negativity to restoring. I personally feel the book to be at least a VF to a possible VF+ without this defect. With the defect a possible VG? or would this be considered a qualified VF-VF+? Also, how would this restoration affect the desirability of the comic? Would something like this be detectable? After all, all that's being done is replacing some glue thats dried. Right? Very interested in your thoughts.

If u plan to keep the 100 pgr, u can glue stick it. Or u can upgrade the copy & sell/trade it off unglued. Glue stick is not very stickey. If u want to reinforce a book, pretend u r in elementary school & use Lepage's white glue. grin.giftongue.gif

One thing to be careful of is using too much white glue. If you do that the paper is going to get too wet and will dry wrinkled. Also the glue will squeeze out the edges. If you use too little glue, there can be lifts in the spine from where no glue is attaching anything. While it sounds like a simple thing to do, to do it right takes some care. And the real problem is - you really only have one shot at it. The minute you realize the amount of glue isn;t right and you start to peel the spine back again - well, Charlie Chaplin could have made a movie about the possibilities!

I do suggest you get a few 100 pagers really cheap - low grade books with the spine pre-seperated if possible, and practice.

A few tips. Place the glue in a small dish and use a toothpick the dip into the glue and apply a couple (or only one) of small beads running the length of the spine. Don't get too close to the edge. Let the glue seep out to the edge. Hopefully it will just stop short.

Good luck to you and lettuce know the upshot of your experiment!

I had a feeling it would be more difficult than it seemed. I will take your advise and practise, or I may just leave it. Too worried about it looking like an amateur fixed it.

Thanks very much for the input, very much appreciated.