• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane at his best at Heritage Auctions!

546 posts in this topic

Preview

Some nice Lee and McFarlane so far, from the Shamus collection.

There's the Bagley Venom #1 cover which should sell for a wild number given what the ASM 363 just went for.

Interesting times.

Any BSD who is looking to sell off some nice Marvel art from the '60s-'80s to fund a go at the Spidey #1 cover, please let me know what you have for sale! :grin:

Wow, can't imagine how much the Spider-Man #1 will go for. Growing up in early 90s that was probably the most iconic cover from that time period.

However, I think I actually like the ASM 328 cover with The Hulk better. That was always one of my fav McFarlane covers.

Wow, can't imagine how much the Spider-Man #1 will go for. Growing up in early 90s that was probably the most iconic cover from that time period.

However, I think I actually like the ASM 328 cover with The Hulk better. That was always one of my fav McFarlane covers.

Not being a huge devotee of McFarlane I am trying to determine what makes one cover go for far more than the other. Sure the 328 is from the flagship title, but Spidey #1 was everywhere. You couldn't escape that image.

Not being a huge devotee of McFarlane I am trying to determine what makes one cover go for far more than the other. Sure the 328 is from the flagship title, but Spidey #1 was everywhere. You couldn't escape that image.

Yeah, it may not be the best image, but it is the most famous and most important. I think the cover will go for $200K+, and it's one of those pieces where you can't rule out a truly krazy price like the DKR #3 splash.

Yeah, it may not be the best image, but it is the most famous and most important. I think the cover will go for $200K+, and it's one of those pieces where you can't rule out a truly krazy price like the DKR #3 splash.

Who cares about that ...there's a Keown Hulk cover for sale :banana:

Who cares about that ...there's a Keown Hulk cover for sale :banana:

Shhhh (tsk) Nothing to see there....This is not the cover you are looking for....Move Along.

Couldn't agree more Gene. For a 90's collector this piece is the ULTIMATE trophy piece. I think it would surpass the Hulk #340 cover as well as the ASM #316 cover in an open auction even though i'd much prefer to own those pieces.

Aside from the usual BSD's this is the type of piece that can and will most likely attract high-end slab collectors, collectibles investment groups, and perhaps even an outside chance of McFarlane himself as I recall an interview with him saying that this was the one piece that he regretted selling.

Not really sure what long-term impact it will have on McFarlane spiderman art as a whole (market has already been strong for years), but it will certainly be a testament to the potential of true "trophy" examples from any era.

Sucks to be a SSD right now, haha!

Ken

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=19201

Couldn't agree more Gene. For a 90's collector this piece is the ULTIMATE trophy piece. I think it would surpass the Hulk #340 cover as well as the ASM #316 cover in an open auction even though i'd much prefer to own those pieces.

Aside from the usual BSD's this is the type of piece that can and will most likely attract high-end slab collectors, collectibles investment groups, and perhaps even an outside chance of McFarlane himself as I recall an interview with him saying that this was the one piece that he regretted selling.

Not really sure what long-term impact it will have on McFarlane spiderman art as a whole (market has already been strong for years), but it will certainly be a testament to the potential of true "trophy" examples from any era.

Sucks to be a SSD right now, haha!

Ken

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=19201

Not the kind of stuff that I collect, but I'd be lying if said that at these potential numbers that I am disinterested. Just great spectator sport. And while I don't mean to throw fuel on the fire, I must agree with some of these estimates. We are approaching (once again) uncharted territory. Now whether this is a good thing or a horrendous thing for the health of our hobby is for people a lot smarter than me to discuss....

Scott Williams

Going through this collection and seeing the original art for the first time, I became a bigger McFarlane fan. I always really liked his art, but the clean B&W images were beautiful. The other pieces by other the artists in this collection were some prime examples of their art as well. I had a blast! Fanboy heaven!

I even got a pic of me holding the Spidey 1 cover :banana: and that's the closest I will ever be to owning it :pullhair:

Preview

There's the Bagley Venom #1 cover which should sell for a wild number given what the ASM 363 just went for.

Interesting times.

I've been a bit out of the loop. What did the 363 sell for?

I was an intern at Marvel in the Spider-Man office during January-May 1990, when the first issues of Spider-Man were being produced. I handled a lot of the original art pages for the first few issues, Xeroxing them to 8 1/2 by 11 size to Fed Ex to colorist Bob Sharen. And the idea of trying to buy any of the pages never once crossed my mind. No interest whatsoever. And I had no money whatsoever either, at that time, being a college student.

For the record, I really like the page-one splash from the Scorpion issue. That was a fun comic. I can't wait for this auction!

Preview

Interesting times.

I've been a bit out of the loop. What did the 363 sell for?

Just short of $17,000 in last week's Heritage Auction.

i missed that completely. the cover to issue 363 by bagley sold for close to $ 17,000 ?

Wow...what was the significance of that particular issue?

It's a nice image, that's well remembered by fans of the title at that time. It's a Venom/Carnage/Spidey cover from the end of the three issue arc that fully introduced Carnage.

As for reasons, that's all I've got. lol I had it pegged at $5k tops.

I was an intern at Marvel in the Spider-Man office during January-May 1990, when the first issues of Spider-Man were being produced. I handled a lot of the original art pages for the first few issues, Xeroxing them to 8 1/2 by 11 size to Fed Ex to colorist Bob Sharen. And the idea of trying to buy any of the pages never once crossed my mind. No interest whatsoever. And I had no money whatsoever either, at that time, being a college student.

For the record, I really like the page-one splash from the Scorpion issue. That was a fun comic. I can't wait for this auction!

Ha! I was an intern there the summer of '89 with Salicrup. It was just when Spiderman 1 was being announced. I remember a sales guy downstairs taping a panel from ASM featuring MJ to his doors, and then he drew fishing line coming out of her mouth because he though McFarlane's rendering of her made here look like, well, a fish.

Like you, I handled lots of originals, but didn't think to purchase any. Instead, I got a little something from John Romita, who was working in-house at the time:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=619493&GSub=96048