• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane at his best at Heritage Auctions!

546 posts in this topic

Ya know a few of you guys are saying "Mcfarlane's Spider-man isn't Spider-man and that MJ isn't MJ.

You guys are living in the past, Mcfarlane revisioned Spider-man and his world. By the 90's Mary Jane was being drawn with 1960's clothes and hair. McFarlane updated him to a 20 something year old photographer living in NYC.

I don't see what the uproar was about it, He put those character into the present, unlike a few of you living in the past. :)

I don't have a problem with updating the look of the characters. I do have a problem with changing the essence of the characters and the title, though. Peter Parker is supposed to be someone that everyone can relate to - money problems, family problems, job problems, girlfriend problems, bad guy problems, etc. Call me crazy, but I think most people here have problems relating to someone dating a famous actress/supermodel whose problems include being kidnapped by a zealous stalker while you're out doing a national publicity tour for your published book. Oh yeah, and your rivals/enemies aren't even guys from planet earth, they're alien symbiote costume craving brains. :eyeroll:

That said, the Spidey #1 cover is great and I'll be surprised if it sells for as low as $175K in this overheated market.

You're crazy!

Eddie Brock was from plant Earth. The black costume was not. Who's to say the black costume can't appear in an ASM series? Where is that written? That's like saying Superman can never appear in the main Batman title cause Superman is from another planet...It's comic books we are talking here!

Probably lowballing the Spidey #1 cover, but I can't see it selling for anything less than that. If I had the cash, I'd buy it in a second..I'd just keep bidding till I won it.

Ya know a few of you guys are saying "Mcfarlane's Spider-man isn't Spider-man and that MJ isn't MJ.

You guys are living in the past, Mcfarlane revisioned Spider-man and his world. By the 90's Mary Jane was being drawn with 1960's clothes and hair. McFarlane updated him to a 20 something year old photographer living in NYC.

I don't see what the uproar was about it, He put those character into the present, unlike a few of you living in the past. :)

I don't have a problem with updating the look of the characters. I do have a problem with changing the essence of the characters and the title, though. Peter Parker is supposed to be someone that everyone can relate to - money problems, family problems, job problems, girlfriend problems, bad guy problems, etc. Call me crazy, but I think most people here have problems relating to someone dating a famous actress/supermodel whose problems include being kidnapped by a zealous stalker while you're out doing a national publicity tour for your published book. Oh yeah, and your rivals/enemies aren't even guys from planet earth, they're alien symbiote costume craving brains. :eyeroll:

That said, the Spidey #1 cover is great and I'll be surprised if it sells for as low as $175K in this overheated market.

Why is this such a big knock on the McSpidey run? When Romita took over ASM from Ditko, suddenly our down and out Peter Parker got a motorcycle, moved in with Harry Osborne, got two great looking gals chasing after him, etc. Didn't that fundamentally change the 'essence' of the characters and title? :baiting:

You're crazy!

Eddie Brock was from plant Earth. The black costume was not. Who's to say the black costume can't appear in an ASM series? Where is that written? That's like saying Superman can never appear in the main Batman title cause Superman is from another planet...It's comic books we are talking here!

I think you don't get it ...

What is said is the movies don't show us the character we enjoyed so much in the comics but we're talking of an ancient time where super muscles and super models weren't in 70% of the books we read ..

:preach:

That being said Venom is fun I agree but there are tons of good old school villains I'd enjoy watching battling Spidey in a fair (?) fight ..

As for the Spidey #1 I think that should I own such an iconic cover and paying these $ amounts I wouldn't hold to it for too long and enjoy tons of better pages for my taste instead !

Why is this such a big knock on the McSpidey run? When Romita took over ASM from Ditko, suddenly our down and out Peter Parker got a motorcycle, moved in with Harry Osborne, got two great looking gals chasing after him, etc. Didn't that fundamentally change the 'essence' of the characters and title? :baiting:

Well, I have heard some people knock this aspect of the Romita run (Peter getting all dreamy overnight in particular). That said, it wasn't such a jarring change compared to the Michelinie/McFarlane run. Yeah, Petey got a motorcycle - it was cheap transportation; it's not like he got an expensive car! He moved in with his wealthy friend (plausible; I have a friend of very modest means who's lived in the shadow of his trust fund friend for years - it happens), but it's not like he won the lottery and moved into a Park Ave. penthouse on his own. Plus, being dependent on Harry created its own set of realistic, relatable conflicts and problems. Yeah, his luck with women improved - guess he was a late bloomer. Hey, it happens. To compare these changes to living the life of a celebrity photographer dating a supermodel/actress girlfriend is like comparing Cadillacs and dinosaurs. :screwy:

Just to chime in here as i'm a McSpidey fan that has read the issues both as a teen and again in my adult years. ASM #298-#328 certainly wasn't a high watermark in the Spiderman mythos, though obviously that had nothing to do with Todd. What I enjoy most about those issues were his innovative panel designs/layouts and the exciting, dynamic approach to his story telling. Not to mention the fact that no one put the "Spider" in Spiderman like Todd. Also worth noting is that the 6-Part Assassination Nation Storyline (ASM #320-#325) was and is still quite enjoyable. What's also noteworthy about this storyline (in the context of this thread) is that Mary Jane is portrayed more as a ex-model, starving actress type as opposed to a supermodel. Their financial woes are quite prevalent and actually tie in to Spidey's motivation to go overseas as a "paid consultant" to help Silver Sable.

As far as Todd's work on the Spiderman series, I agree (as does Todd it would seem) that those stories really don't hold up and are tough to read. As a kid they were fun, but as an adult reader there isn't really much there. The artwork however certainly has some real moments of brilliance. The originals (the interiors not the covers) were done on roughly twice-up board and are quite impressive and downright stunning in some cases. Though it is easy to see that at times the compositions became busy and over-reaching. At the end of the day, it represented a young, superstar artist trying to push the limits and find his voice. Whether one is a fan or not his place, importance and influence are undeniable and the final hammer of SM #1 will prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Ken

Neither run (ASM or SM) was 'Watchmen' in terms of writing quality, but the ASM run was fun, while the SM run was... not very fun.

That's an interesting comparision for me because I read Watchmen when it was first released and thought it was aweful and think even less of it having re-read it just prior to the movie release.

Amazing Spiderman was far more enjoyable and the adjectiveless Spider-Man was very enjoyable for my eyes.

Neither run (ASM or SM) was 'Watchmen' in terms of writing quality, but the ASM run was fun, while the SM run was... not very fun.

That's an interesting comparision for me because I read Watchmen when it was first released and thought it was aweful and think even less of it having re-read it just prior to the movie release.

Amazing Spiderman was far more enjoyable and the adjectiveless Spider-Man was very enjoyable for my eyes.

I don't agree or disagree, but that just goes to show you that in our hobby, to each their own. If we all go after the same thing, the price of art will be either near 0 or near infinite with nothing in between!

Malvin

At the end of the day, it represented a young, superstar artist trying to push the limits and find his voice.

It's also over 2 decades old.

At the time it sold like wildfire as it was in my heday of buying new issues. You couldn't keep McFarlane in stock. As a 19 year old kid it was magic.

You can't compare it to stories today much like you can't compare any era to the present...each has it's nuances and feel.

You can't compare it to stories today much like you can't compare any era to the present...each has it's nuances and feel.

There's no way I am letting you feel my nuances. (tsk)

There's no way I am letting you feel my nuances. (tsk)

You already have.

:blush:

To quote another popular character from the early 90s, "It's gonna be a bloodbath of epic proportions!" lol

This auction is ridiculous. Multiple McFarlane covers and splashes, Keown cover, Liefeld/McFarlane New Mutants cover....

I feel like Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel.

cletus.jpg

Question: Is there any chance there could be too much killer stuff in this auction? hm

Question: Is there any chance there could be too much killer stuff in this auction? hm

I think this auction will be spectacular, but that there is a real risk of seeing a hangover afterwards, much as we saw following the orgy of frenzied buying in the first half of 2008 (especially since now, as then, the global economy is showing undeniable signs of rolling over).

To quote another popular character from the early 90s, "It's gonna be a bloodbath of epic proportions!" lol

This auction is ridiculous. Multiple McFarlane covers and splashes, Keown cover, Liefeld/McFarlane New Mutants cover....

I feel like Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel.

cletus.jpg

The answer is NO!!!!! I have fond memories of this period from a career standpoint, but I don't collect any of this stuff! As mentioned before, I'll be a curious observer as to final hammer prices, but so far there is nothing in this auction for me! Yet.

Scott Williams