• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For $750 in shipping he had better take a plane to NY and hand deliver it to me

83 posts in this topic

Is there a CSI thread here?

I was told that the escrow service is the way to go for big money, although I don't know all of the ins and outs of it. The person talking to me about it was trying to describe that it was either better or worse to use an outside service vs. the one ebay/paypal provides, I can't remember what he said exactly. Do you guys know anything about that? (And I know "big money" is relative but many people would try to be as careful as possible with 10 or more stacks.)

I have used eBay's approved escrow service for two purchases. On future eBay auctions of my own (I'm selling) I will specifically offer it as an option on big items. I define "big" as anything over 10K for sure as this is where paypal pretty much leaves buyer and seller on their own. You could also look at any item over eBay's own private insurance (shipcover?). I cannot remember what that limit is but I'm certain it is no higher than 5K and might only be 2K. You should absolutely only use ebay's approved escrow service (escrow.com) Anyone suggesting any other escrow service should automatically serve as a red flag as there have been lots of scams with phony escrow services.

Escrow.com's website explains it well, but here are the basics.

Buyer and Seller agree to use escrow.com and register with escrow.com

You list with escrow.com the sale information (item, price, inspection period, etc)

Buyer sends payment to escrow.com

Escrow.com notifies seller that they have the payment and seller should ship

Buyer receives item(s) and has x number of days to inspect

Buyer notifies escrow.com they accept the item

Escrow.com sends payment to seller

If buyer rejects the merchandise

Escrow.com informs seller and buyer returns merchandise

Once seller confirms they have merchandise back, escrow.com refunds buyer's money minus fees.

How long this all takes depends on how buyer submitts payment to escrow.com, how fast item ships, how seller wants to be paid. Assume a couple of weeks to get paid if you are the seller.

What it costs. It's 3.25% of the first 5K but then much less than that from 5-10K and less than 1% after 10K. On expensive items escrow.com's fees can be less than paypals. And it is common for the fee for escrow to be split by buyer and seller.

The listing is gone - the "item is no longer available".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270981943440?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The seller is a crook and someone may be a victim

**This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available**

Someone might be a victim for sure. The seller likely had some offers to end the item early for XXX amount of money. But "item no longer available" is just a common reason for ending an auction early. It could also mean that the seller was contacted by ebay about this thread and concerns about the listing and so decided to end it and move on.

But his "selling" it to some rube for a "buy it now price" and that buyer - or buyers -sending him a money order or wiring him money is a possibility. We might never know. .

I was told that the escrow service is the way to go for big money, although I don't know all of the ins and outs of it. The person talking to me about it was trying to describe that it was either better or worse to use an outside service vs. the one ebay/paypal provides, I can't remember what he said exactly. Do you guys know anything about that? (And I know "big money" is relative but many people would try to be as careful as possible with 10 or more stacks.)

I have used eBay's approved escrow service for two purchases. On future eBay auctions of my own (I'm selling) I will specifically offer it as an option on big items. I define "big" as anything over 10K for sure as this is where paypal pretty much leaves buyer and seller on their own. You could also look at any item over eBay's own private insurance (shipcover?). I cannot remember what that limit is but I'm certain it is no higher than 5K and might only be 2K. You should absolutely only use ebay's approved escrow service (escrow.com) Anyone suggesting any other escrow service should automatically serve as a red flag as there have been lots of scams with phony escrow services.

You list with escrow.com the sale information (item, price, inspection period, etc)

Once seller confirms they have merchandise back, escrow.com refunds buyer's money minus fees.

How long this all takes depends on how buyer submitts payment to escrow.com, how fast item ships, how seller wants to be paid. Assume a couple of weeks to get paid if you are the seller.

What it costs. It's 3.25% of the first 5K but then much less than that from 5-10K and less than 1% after 10K. On expensive items escrow.com's fees can be less than paypals. And it is common for the fee for escrow to be split by buyer and seller.

Great info, I don't see why anyone wouldn't use this service on items over 10k.

Here's some great info. DON'T USE EBAY! There are too many scam artists there.

I have quite a few books that many would consider decent deals that were purchased from eBay.

Also of concern is how little eBay does to police itself. Here they have an open dispute on a seller for 12K and they let the seller run another auction for a similar amount?

This statement seems to be a disturbing theme I hear a lot about here and on other boards. Over and over again.

I wonder how much fraud and theft occurs on eBay every year? Is there any way to determine how much money this represents? How many people (buyers and sellers) get ripped off every year on eBay? What percentage of eBay's total business would this fraud and theft account for?

What are the ethics of eBay allowing a seller with an ongoing dispute for thousands of dollars to continue using their site to commit fraud? Is eBay ethically complicit in these actions, but not legally responsible?

What's the difference in continuing to patronize eBay in light of this seemingly ongoing cavalier attitude, and continuing to purchase books from someone like robojo? Aren't both actions supporting a person (or entity) known for a history of criminal behavior?

My keyboard has run out of question marks, so I will stop now.

I have quite a few books that many would consider decent deals that were purchased from eBay.

Were they high dollar books? Ebay is like having a Boa Constrictor for a pet.One day crush!

Were they high dollar books? Ebay is like having a Boa Constrictor for a pet.One day crush!

This past week... before shipping (on eBay)

$375

$420

Last year I did a few buys between the $750-1000 range.

I already have a lot of the key's so now I am just working on completing sets. I have bid a few thousand in a few SparkleCity auctions, I am very comfortable bidding with them.

Good news is here that I got 100% of my money back.

I called Encore Thrift Store and they said they did not know of this person; their staff is all female.

My eBay case is still open, so I don't know how eBay is going to deal with this seller. I'll let you know when I know.

That was the ~$12,000 for the gold, right? Good for you, that's awesome!!! How did you get the money? From the seller? From paypal/ebay?

For the record I did not report anything.  I find it amusing and a chance to take a stroll down memory lane.   I did not go through the whole thread but this was around the time I was starting to shop for another AF15.   The first two I had purchased in person.  This one was going to be through online purchasing so it was really nerve wrecking trying to decide the best way to shop given the price. 

1 minute ago, god503 said:

i like the topic heading of this thread....  it needs to be adjusted for the price of inflation on that plane ticket...  :bigsmile:

I think I could book a trip to Florida from NY, given the current situation, for about $1.33.

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I think I could book a trip to Florida from NY, given the current situation, for about $1.33.

Thats a corona adjustment... :roflmao:   speaking of corona adjustment, either the supply of keys on ebay had gone down recently or the corona discount has leveled off, not finding the "discounts" as much as i did in the beginning of the month.

Just now, god503 said:

Thats a corona adjustment... :roflmao:   speaking of corona adjustment, either the supply of keys on ebay had gone down recently or the corona discount has leveled off, not finding the "discounts" as much as i did in the beginning of the month.

I said it in one of the Corona threads... with certain items, like homes, they are projecting a decline in sales but not a decline in price.  The market will somewhat retain the value but the volume of sales will decrease unless the situation becomes desperate.  I don't think we are there yet or will get there to be honest. 

Someone tried that once and asked, 'don't you want to make a sale, don't you need money bro."

Most everything I sell falls under the category of things I just don't want anymore and not things I need to sell.  I would imagine that there is a lot of that out there given that so many people have jobs and just sell stuff on the side to get spending money. 

i ran into a couple of people/shops that were eager to sell, at least at better prices than previous recent sales.  but dont see it as much lately.  but your right, better to sell when there is no necessity to do it.

On 5/21/2012 at 5:01 AM, Buzzetta said:

I bid...

then retracted...

then reported...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270981943440#ht_720wt_1110

I can't see the listing, clicked on it, but it's long gone.

I imagine you did the right thing.

I hate shipping charges/import charges/regional tax, anything to make a good deal gone bad!

27 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I can't see the listing, clicked on it, but it's long gone.

I imagine you did the right thing.

I hate shipping charges/import charges/regional tax, anything to make a good deal gone bad!

It's

from.

years

ago.

lol 

Edited by Buzzetta