• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk #181, how high can it go?
1 1

238 posts in this topic

I agree... no real bickering... respect shown to other's POV... polite disagreement at worst... quality information flying about.

It all lead to us finishing the thread when we were ready... not when it was hijacked, turned into verbal boxing match, or sent off-track.

In short, we all benefited from the varied points of views presented. I learned many answers I sought out.

Overall, I grade this thread a NM/M 9.8... maybe a Mint 9.9 if more people agreed with my theories grin.gif

Kudos Lee

grin.gif

About 7 years ago I went around to all the comic stores and bought all the 181'S I could find, ended up with about 9 pretty good copies(2 ended up CGC 9.2)the others I sold several years ago. I feel this is going to be a book that continues to see growth. I bought a collection about 8 months ago for $280.00 from this antique dealer and there was about 300 silver age including hulk 175-186 and had the 181 CGC'D at 8.0, not really high grade but pretty good for the cost. Some people may think 19,000 is high for the 181(which it is) but having a "key issue" like that and there is only one that has graded higher, I'd love to have it!

I thought I would give an update to what I reported a couple of months ago in this thread:

"According to Jan. 9th 2003 CGC census 1,177 copies of Incredible Hulk 181 have been graded. What percentage is 1,177 out of 202,592? Of the 1,177 CGC graded copies 407 of them grade 9.0 or higher. The VAST MAJORITY of total copies printed/sold have yet to graded by CGC."

The numbers are raising, according to March 12, 2003 the CGC cencus show a total of 1,243 copies, and 421 copies grade 9.0 and higher. From comparing these two reports, in the past month 66 copies have been graded, and 14 of them have graded 9.0 and higher.

IMO, it would be interesting to look at the number of submissions year by year for Incredible Hulk 181.

Hulk 181 according to the above,is not exactly a rarity.It's demand is based mostly on Wolverines 1st full appearance than anything else.There will be copies of this book in high grade available for many years to come.Don't forget about other factors too such as hoarding,undiscovered collections,lost warehouse etc.

Don't get me wrong though-this book is baby steps in terms of it's ultimate spec value and investment potential.But there are still other treasures out there that can be had for far less in the same condition that will always have an"up" curve and/or are on the rise.Some of them may even surprise the living daylights out of you.

On 1/6/2003 at 6:46 AM, fantastic_four said:

To estimate the ceiling on a Hulk 181, you have to estimate how many people want one, how many copies are available, and how much disposable income those people have available to them. Most Hulk 181 buyers are going to be around 25 to 40. Wolverine has not waned in popularity at all over the years, so as the Golden and Silver Age guys die off over the next few decades, the Hulk 181 marketplace will continue to grow.

I'll be surprised if a NM Hulk 181 isn't a 10K book in 15 years. It has a ceiling, but we haven't come close to hitting it yet. Especially if CGC or another grading company starts factoring into their grading the eye appeal factors that Hammer alludes to and we've all (ComicInvestor, Murph, myself, and others) person_without_enough_empathyed about in these forums. He's right, finding a Hulk 181 with a perfectly set cover, bright cover inks and gloss, and zero translucency showing through the "Hulk" title is a tough find.

:golfclap:

24 minutes ago, Mephisto said:
On 1/6/2003 at 6:46 AM, fantastic_four said:

To estimate the ceiling on a Hulk 181, you have to estimate how many people want one, how many copies are available, and how much disposable income those people have available to them. Most Hulk 181 buyers are going to be around 25 to 40. Wolverine has not waned in popularity at all over the years, so as the Golden and Silver Age guys die off over the next few decades, the Hulk 181 marketplace will continue to grow.

I'll be surprised if a NM Hulk 181 isn't a 10K book in 15 years. It has a ceiling, but we haven't come close to hitting it yet. Especially if CGC or another grading company starts factoring into their grading the eye appeal factors that Hammer alludes to and we've all (ComicInvestor, Murph, myself, and others) person_without_enough_empathyed about in these forums. He's right, finding a Hulk 181 with a perfectly set cover, bright cover inks and gloss, and zero translucency showing through the "Hulk" title is a tough find.

:golfclap:

Well, I was a bit off, so I guess I'm surprised!  I forecasted a 9.4 Hulk as a $10K book this year, but it's around $11K in 9.6 and $7500 in 9.4.  Not far off though.

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Well, I was a bit off, so I guess I'm surprised!  I forecasted a 9.4 Hulk as a $10K book this year, but it's around $11K in 9.6 and $7500 in 9.4.  Not far off though.

I was actually looking for an OA post but I thought I just read a 9.0 sold recently for 8K so I assumed 9.4’s were cracking the 10K mark. All I know is this book shot way up in the last year or so and has left GSX 1 in the dust.

I just checked eBay completed sales and the last 3 Blue label 9.4’a sold for at least 9.5K with the most recent at 9.8K. 

I know Gene will say that isn’t that great of growth for 15 years but the there are a lot of copies of this book out there! Be impressed Gene!

Edited by Mephisto

11 hours ago, Mephisto said:

I was actually looking for an OA post but I thought I just read a 9.0 sold recently for 8K so I assumed 9.4’s were cracking the 10K mark. All I know is this book shot way up in the last year or so and has left GSX 1 in the dust.

I just checked eBay completed sales and the last 3 Blue label 9.4’a sold for at least 9.5K with the most recent at 9.8K. 

I know Gene will say that isn’t that great of growth for 15 years but the there are a lot of copies of this book out there! Be impressed Gene!

Yea I saw those in GPA.  The average I gave was for the last 12 month period but you're right, the last three months has seen the average for 9.4s at around $9.5K or so.  But 9.6s aren't similarly inflated, so I'm assuming it's an anomaly unless it continues for another 6+ months.

19 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea I saw those in GPA.  The average I gave was for the last 12 month period but you're right, the last three months has seen the average for 9.4s at around $9.5K or so.  But 9.6s aren't similarly inflated, so I'm assuming it's an anomaly unless it continues for another 6+ months.

90 day average for 9.6 is ~13,650. Would be higher if not for a copy that was re-auctioned on eBay & went lower in the second auction :tonofbricks: 

You're being too modest my good man! Declare victory! Any other prognostications?

On 1/4/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mephisto said:

Somebody please sell me put options on this book and credit default swaps on the people buying at these prices. :wishluck:

38 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Somebody please sell me put options on this book and credit default swaps on the people buying at these prices. :wishluck:

I am looking at adding a WP well centred 9.4 this year...........if I can sell you CDSs on myself for doing that I would gladly do it to help pay for the cost of the book. lol 

On 1/10/2019 at 11:58 PM, kimik said:

I am looking at adding a WP well centred 9.4 this year...........if I can sell you CDSs on myself for doing that I would gladly do it to help pay for the cost of the book. lol 

I remember my mother telling me I was stupid for cutting the marvel value stamps out of my comics.

My mother.   :cloud9:

To think that ASM 129 missed by one month from so many copies facing the same fate.

12 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Not another one. How many threads on 181’s price do we need?! :preach:

Right. 15 threads in the Bronze age section have had activity in the last week.

There's just a ton of vital info that I should not derail with repetition.