• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Matt and Kenny post before, during, and after photos" Thread.

199 posts in this topic

Excellent work!

You know what I would love on CGC restored books? To write what percet of the cover is original and what is infilled. Just so you know a book isnt a frankenbook.

Excellent work!

You know what I would love on CGC restored books? To write what percet of the cover is original and what is infilled. Just so you know a book isnt a frankenbook.

I think once a book is labeled Extensive, you can assume quite a bit was done. Then again there is a HUGE gap between .5 books that were restored up to a decent apparent grade vs a 3.5 that was also maxed out.

They might have similar grades, and notes on the label, but both did not start out the same.

In the end I would go with which book looks, and feels better. No matter what the starting point was.

If that is possible with a slab.

:blush:

And just for fun, here is a brittle book that had about 1/16" of varnish applied years ago.

Yet it is still tacky enough to stick to the mylar that was supposed to keep it safe.(hence all the tape pull like ink loss)

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were about possible removal of stuff like this.

Take a look.

0cd37f7b.jpg

ff27a9ef.jpg

a39906e1.jpg

2639c826.jpg

"Fun", and "Super easy" would not be my first choice of words. :pullhair:

Was crazy just how thickly they applied the varnish.

0cd37f7b.jpg

2639c826.jpg

a39906e1.jpg

But, after much convincing...all the varnish came off. As did all the tape holding the cover together.

c4162940.jpg

b87cd5b8.jpg

f3fe55ac.jpg

Cover was then washed, and leaf casted. Leaving the once brittle, sticky cover looking and feeling like a supple comic book again.

6b28e34d.jpg

Thank god GA comics can withstand such a process. If I tried this on a SA cover, it would have probably just wiped the entire cover off.

Don't tell Greggy, but Ellen was the one who did this while on a Girl Scout Cookie selling trip in Spain.

I have much shame.

Don't tell Greggy, but Ellen was the one who did this while on a Girl Scout Cookie selling trip in Spain.

I have much shame.

You shouldn't. It's a great impression of greggy now.

A few short videos I took of the shellacked Wonder Comics 1, before and after.

The production value is worse then "found footage films"..but hopefully show just how thickly applied the gloss was. And how natural it looked afterwards.

We will be doing more casual videos like this, if there is enough interest to warrant making them.

A few short videos I took of the shellacked Wonder Comics 1, before and after.

The production value is worse then "found footage films"..but hopefully show just how thickly applied the gloss was. And how natural it looked afterwards.

We will be doing more casual videos like this, if there is enough interest to warrant making them.

Would love to see more!!!

Did this awhile ago, thought it was worth posting.

A thin, brittle, War Era GA Cover.

This comic really should not have been messed with because the entire book was so brittle, that and it was not really cost effective to repair.

But that does not mean the cover does still not deserve to be repaired.

So we basically worked on this as a means to try and conserve a severely brittle, water damaged cover. Not overlay and reinforce it with sheets of mending tissue. But actually leaf cast the cover as a whole, making it a cover again. Or at least as close as you can, at this stage in the game.

Mainly because the severely brittle edges are not good for anything in terms of being a base of repair.

Sorta like you would never bondo over totally rusted spots on a car. You first remove all the rust, get down to good metal and THEN fill in the areas.

Same with casting a brittle cover. Especially since a comic book needs to be folded, read, and handled.

So with that said....warts and all.

Before, In Progress and After shots.

======================================================

Cover before, all loose and chippy

ce664d5a.jpg

Wet, and ready for casting

634ae36e.jpg

After casted, flat

0f16de37.jpg

After casted, rounded and folded.

530eff67.jpg

Spine before

ab803a07.jpg

Spine after

731cccec.jpg

A few assorted after shots.

df76602c.jpg

86501324.jpg

Cover around the interior again.

26d07315.jpg

7e28c754.jpg

The interior is a brittle mess. Not worth fixing, or even worth trying to put the staples back in. So it was left as is.

cb04eb11.jpg

048edc07.jpg

9010a87d.jpg

In the end, working with such a fragile, thin cover was quite the challenge.

A real case of conservation if ever there was one. Now if there is a place for this in our hobby remains to be seen.

Because I imagine the question on most everyone's mind is how much to CT the cover?

doh!

Because I imagine the question on most everyone's mind is how much to CT the cover?

doh!

Well, maybe not. I think preserving an artifact like you've done here is fine. CT to fill in the missing image is a fundamental change in approach - from conservation to restoration.

But that model probably applies best to very rare or one of a kind objects rather than items that exist in larger numbers. If that was the only Capt Marvel Jr #2 cover in existence, I think stopping at this point would make good sense.

Edit: great work, as usual. (thumbs u