• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Matt and Kenny post before, during, and after photos" Thread.

199 posts in this topic

Someone must have really loved that copy of CM Jr 2 to want to restore it.

I suspect it had more to do with answering the question "what is possible now, with a cover that is so brittle as to be previously thought unrestorable?"

I'd say the results are nothing short of stunning. Ignore the fact that it's a CM Jr. 2 and think for a minute now what is possible with a brittle Action 1 or Detective 27. Blows my mind.

Because I imagine the question on most everyone's mind is how much to CT the cover?

doh!

I think preserving an artifact like you've done here is fine. CT to fill in the missing image is a fundamental change in approach - from conservation to restoration.

Bingo, when we speak of comic book "conservation" we tend to dance around the term "restoration" for obvious reasons.

Conservation circles tend to never recreate lost art or text, other then to reinforce what was missing.

In the case of this CM Jr. 2? It was a train wreck, headed to the scrap head.

The owner loved the book, and it provided a challenge. So we conserved it.

Obviously not the best business model, but it served to show what can be done.

And as Scott said, if this was an Action 1, or Tec 27 we would now have the option to restore it fully.

If not for leaf casting brittle examples like this Marvel Jr. , we would not be confident in how we approached it.

I have not been online much lately, but though these were worth posting.

Ankurs Tec 28 (which was actually done in August,sorry it sat on my shelf Ankur)

If you were in Chicago , you may have seen it at the CGC Dinner , or on the Con Floor.

So much was going on with this book, old tape, glue and resto.

Tec28fcankurb4_zps1f73249e.jpgtec38afters_zpsd6b3c3ec.jpg

tec28bcb4_zps5847752b.jpgtec28bcaftrerankur_zps38071222.jpg

And is anybody else having trouble with photobucket? I cannot customize my upload settings to 1024x768. The Blue "save" button is a dead link.

Scary how small the collecting world is sometimes. Just reading this interesting thread and said WOW. That was my Captain Marvel Jr. #2 a few months ago and sold it online. lol. It was a mess for sure like they said. Very, Very brittle.

Anyway graet work on all the books. Reading thru this I was wondering how these books might look in 20 to 50 years with this leaf casting process?

Worked on this book yesterday, and thought it was worth posting.

Straight up Conservation on a badly water(urine?) damaged Supes 17.

Basically just washed, and casted in a few hours.

Probably boring to look at, but they can't all be Pep 22's!

DSC04209_zpsd28d56e0.jpg

DSC04230_zps257b546c.jpg

DSC04218_zps718593b0.jpg

DSC04224_zps598e4834.jpg

I prefer to think of it as giving broken down comics a second chance.

:D

OK, that was lame.

Here is another conso effort this week.

A rusted out, water damaged TOS 39

Just washed, and casted. No CT.

DSC04117_zps1c433a7a.jpg

5_zpse6433b82.jpg

3_zps7c300fba.jpg

4_zps7ae65f1f.jpg

Photos do not really convey just how flexible this cover is now. The top edge overhang was extremely brittle.

2_zps5f32cff2.jpg

Is this thing on?, I have many more books to upload if there is interest.

The hard part is taking, uploading and posting the photos.

The pay rate is turrible per post on this site.

Here is another shot of the casted brittle edge, and my fingerprint, and stray pulp that has not been removed yet. :blush:

DSC04157_zps316c1f51.jpg

It might look better like this.

DSC04157_zps3ddb2586.jpg

Or this

DSC04157_zpsa4bf7098.jpg

meh

the brittle parts of the page will get remove and then leaf casting is done...so I think the right answer is the leaf casting will replace the removed brittle areas.

As usual, great looking results by Kenny (thumbs u