• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Batman #232

40 posts in this topic

Cover Only Trim

This is addressing amateur attempts at trim. Examine the color of the edge in question and compare it to that of the other edges. If it is much whiter, it MAY indicate a recent cut. On books with really white covers it can be impossible to tell. You want to examine the cut itself, determine the angle of the cut and if there are angle fluctuations. Here I am talking about the edge of the comic itself - so I am talking fluctuations over the edge. NOT the angle at which the entire cover was cut. That could just be a miscut.

The least accurate way of detecting cover trim is by comparison to other books. In comics, quality control can be shoddy and books could and did emerge with varying finished sizes.

There hasn't been a 'cover only' notation, just trimmed. With the book in hand I couldn't see any difference in any of the edges, but like I say, I'm no expert.

(thumbs u on the 9.4 as we expected...bummer on the plod. My guess is the top edge if that is where CGC think "could be" trimmed.

If they 'think' the book 'could be' trimmed I would be far from happy. If they are 100% certain it's trimmed that's fine, but I have no idea how they detect it so I'll have to go on what I know alone on this one.

Sorry to hear this.

It is still a great book.

Personally as a buyer I would prefer CGC to give a PLOD to books they think are likely trimmed. 100% surety is too high a standard for me.

Looking at the book, if CGC made a mistake about the trimming, perhaps it was due to the upper right side. That corner is sharper than the rest, especially when viewed from the back. Furthermore, it looks like the alignment along the spine should have the right side overhanging a bit, but instead it's pretty even straight down along the edge.

I don't have much experience with this and could definitely be wrong, but that's what jumps out at me.

(thumbs u on the 9.4 as we expected...bummer on the plod. My guess is the top edge if that is where CGC think "could be" trimmed.

Agreed - the bottom edge is slightly misaligned - seen from the front, the cover and the pages shift relative to each other from the spine to the opening edge (I hope that's clear) but on the top there's no such differential.

Not saying that it's trimmed, but there does seem to be an anomaly there and it might well be what CGC saw.

Maybe the pressing shifted the alignment slightly, not too sure on that just a guess. Though the scan of the book in its natural state looks fine. If anything just resub it after the book sits a few months. There have been books that have went from PLOD trimmed to blue universal... Trimming is the TOUGHEST part about this hobby. You just never know.

Maybe the pressing shifted the alignment slightly, not too sure on that just a guess.

Yeah, I thought about that too. The only problem is that the bottom staple is located too far back for pressing to have done that. Pressing could've shifted the cover slightly back, which is why the pages are visible underneath the front cover on the right.

The problem is the black bar rising upwards along the spine, and having the front top right of the cover showing pages underneath... doesn't add up. Unless it can be printed this way? (shrug) Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer that.

Maybe the pressing shifted the alignment slightly, not too sure on that just a guess.

Yeah, I thought about that too. The only problem is that the bottom staple is located too far back for pressing to have done that. Pressing could've shifted the cover slightly back, which is why the pages are visible underneath the front cover on the right.

The problem is the black bar rising upwards along the spine, and having the front top right of the cover showing pages underneath... doesn't add up. Unless it can be printed this way? (shrug) Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer that.

I am assuming the book that Gav scanned was not pressed yet.

could it have been printed with the alignment off like that?

Yes. It's called miswrap.

I see. So with that, there wouldn't be any overhang straight off the press, but the spine would seem out of alignment. Would this include one of the staples being off-center as well?

I see. So with that, there wouldn't be any overhang straight off the press, but the spine would seem out of alignment. Would this include one of the staples being off-center as well?

This is a cracked out 9.8. Books were never produced perfect like they are now so things like overhang and misplaced staples were as common as muck. Staples have even been known to be an inch in from the spine.

Batman366.jpg

This is a cracked out 9.8. Books were never produced perfect like they are now so things like overhang and misplaced staples were as common as muck. Staples have even been known to be an inch in from the spine.

Batman366.jpg

Alright, got it. Thanks for providing an example.

I assume that off-center staples don't influence the grade, then.

Btw, why was that 9.8 cracked (if it's your copy)?

Alright, got it. Thanks for providing an example.

I assume that off-center staples don't influence the grade, then.

Btw, why was that 9.8 cracked (if it's your copy)?

To read it, scan it and put it in a Mylites2.