• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is Your Most Prized Book That Represents Your Birthday Month? POST & TELL! :-)

17 posts in this topic

This post is intended to be "interactive" and fun! With that said, we all have books that we own in which were published during our birthday months! However, which book out of your personal collection is your most prized book published in that month, and the closest to the actual year you were born? What is the significance of the book to you?

For me, it is my copy of Wolverine Limited Series (1982) #2 CGC SS 9.9! The book was published in October of 1982, and I was born in October of 1978! Therefore, there was only a 4 year difference from the time I was born until the time this classic issue was published!

Moreover, this book means so much to me because Wolverine will forever be my favorite comic book character for LIFE! However, it gets deeper!

If we look back at Wolverine's very first appearance in existence, we have to venture back to October of 1974, where Wolverine appeared in a cameo on the last page of The Incredible Hulk #180! Once again, there was only a 4 year difference from the time Wolverine was brought into existence from the time I was born!

In essence, Wolverine and I are both October "babies!" :-) So when I look at this copy of Wolverine Limited Series (1982) #2 CGC SS 9.9, I feel "connected" in a special way! However, not only because it was published on my birthday month 4 years after I was born, but simply because this is the only 1 in the WORLD like it ... just as there is only 1 "me" in the world!

Furthermore, it is the highest graded representation of this issue, and it was signed by the legendary Stan "The Man" Lee, which elevates this book as the only Wolverine Limited Series 9.9 Signature Series in the world!

So these are the reasons this is my most prized CGC book from my personal collection that represents my birthday month! :-)

NOW, WHICH ONE IS YOURS & WHY?

I can't wait to see scans of your most prized comic published on your birthday month, and your personal thoughts, comments, and/or reflections!

SO POST & TELL! :-)

Have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!

-Professor Pecora

11381.jpg

See more journals by Professor Pecora

1. Love this topic. Thanks for stating the thread. Im sure you and I arent the only persons out there who have thought about comics in terms of our birthday.

I'm a February 1975 baby. My perfect comic would be one with a Feb 6 or Feb 6 1975 date stamp. I've kept my eyes peeled for those. The title wouldnt even matter to me, just having one with that date stamp would be awesome.

My current top "Birthday Book" is Amazing Spiderman #141. My current high grade (thinking 9.6) copy is raw, and will be sent out in a future submission as soon as I get off my keister and do another sub.

zSmSw.jpg

Between the cover composition, the whos who of villians and the fact that Spidey is my favorite Marvel character its a great Birthday book...

I'm first and foremost a Green Lantern fan, but alas this was during the DC era of no Green Lantern comics (he was a backup in Flash). So no Green Lantern Birthday comic :cry:

In my quest for a birthday datestamp I am focused on books with cover dates around May of '75, since those would be when a February released book should be pulled. So it would hit the stands in Feb (and get stamped) and then stay on the racks 2-3 months (thus the May on the cover, so the news stands know that when it hits may it should be pulled and pulped/returned).

I've found a few close ones (a Feb 9, a Feb 11, and a Feb 3 of various years) for a few different titles, but the search continues... I'll buy up any Feb 6s I find regardless of the year, just need to find them!

That is a very pristine looking copy of Amazing Spider-Man #141!

In my personal opinion, I think that the Amazing Spider-Man series contains the BEST villains in all of the Marvel Universe! With that said, the cover of #141 is a prime example of the diversity and abundance of Spidey's foes!

GREAT B-DAY BOOK! :-)

-Professor Pecora

I have never thought of my collections in terms of my own birthday.

However, I used to cherish the first 1930s or 1940s Disney comics I bought since I imagined they were published, for example, the same year of my parents' birthdate.

I also cherish books which are more closely related to an event involving people I love most, being them still here or already dead. It’s something which involves any kind of thing anyway, but mostly books or comic books as they have a content which may be related, and aren’t just "obects" of collection. :)

Said this, very likely my most cherished book is not coinciding with my birthday, but with my visit at Jack Kirby’s house, and it’s Fantastic Four #8.

I would have to say my F.F. 48 9.4 which is 2 months older than me and features the first appearance of one of my faves the Silver Surfer.

Photobucket

Sorry for the bad scan. CCG cases and my scanner don't get along very well.

It's kind of nerdy but I admit that I've thought about this too. :facepalm: My favorite book that I own that's dated the year I was born would have to be Fantastic Four #104 from 11/1970. My favorite book that I own that's dated the month I was born is Avengers #110 from 4/1973. I'm a huge fan of Silver/Bronze Age X-men and X-villain appearances and both of the covers on these books just ROCK! There aren't any books from the month/year I was born that feature an X-men appearance however I hope to someday pick up a collectable copy of Silver Surfer #15 which is dated the month/year I was born. Thanks for asking, and congrats on the Wolverine #2 SS 9.9, beautiful book!

BG

sig.jpg

To: BlowUpThe Moon

Keen observation you have made there! (thumbs u However, I can't deny it, because you are correct!

I love expressing my passion in this open forum of fellow collectors, who can understand & appreciate the personal & financial investments/sacrifices we make for our hobby! So yes, 99% of the time, I end my sentences with an "exclamation" point!

-Professor Pecora

To: Dragonmiser

Spectacular Book! I would actually like to own a high grade copy of this beauty sometime in the near future! They have been appearing regularly on ComicLink's auctions.

Furthermore, I have always admired Galactus as one of the most powerful villains ever created! To your point, owning a FF #48 9.4 of the very first appearance of the mighty Silver Surfer doesn't hurt either! Congrats on your ownership of this Silver Age KEY!

-Professor Pecora

Cool topic.

i have a question about it though. Since you were born in October and Marvel books were always two to three months in advance, wouldnt you need a December/January copy that was actually released the month you were born?

Cool topic.

i have a question about it though. Since you were born in October and Marvel books were always two to three months in advance, wouldnt you need a December/January copy that was actually released the month you were born?

to each his/her own...

Since CGC doesnt recognize the release date, just the cover date its a different thing than having a book slabbed with your birthday on the label.

Also the release dates were not entirely set. I've seen books with date stamps 2 months prior to the cover date, I've seen 3 months. Then there are the books with multiple months on the cover (House of Secrets had this for a while...)

I would concur with surfer99 in answering your question about this one. I guess for me, just having my birthday month and/or year on the front of the comic and recognized on the CGC label is good enough for me! :grin: So I will also agree with Miraclemet's comment below and quote, "to each his/her own!" (thumbs u

-Professor Pecora