• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

There wasn't one instance--there were dozens of insane prices on both tough and not-so-tough books. Many of them have dedicated threads here in these forums for each issue--I think there's a thread for an FF 26 CGC 9.6 that went for around $26K and another for an FF 112 CGC 9.8 that went for around that same amount.

Those books were both sold through Pedigree Comics.

Yep. As I said, the insane prices occurred on all the auction houses, which is why I doubt the houses themselves were involved.

there were some ASM Clink sales from the same timeframe that were eye popping; a #54 9.8 went for $16k, a #45 9.8 went for $12k or thereabouts.

I don't think the #26 sold at auction.

I thought it did. ComicsPriceGuide.com reported it that way as well (link below). Doesn't really matter much either way, I don't think the guy was isolated to only buying from auctions, but certainly that's a format that would lead to him paying the most for books, so the odds of buying a book at multiples of market prices from a fixed-price listing are probably pretty slim.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/blog/2009/06/06/default.aspx

What interests me more is the crazy prices in the recent Heritage auction (2 auctions ago) and some of the books reappearing back on the market only to sell at a huge loss. That is disconcerting to me as it makes for a very volatile market.

These books almost certainly didn't sell the first time around. No loss (except to the consignor). What's regrettable as while the market determined the books weren't worth what was "bid" (since they never paid), the books lost some panache and may have sold cheaper than they would've when the collection was intact and fresh.

What interests me more is the crazy prices in the recent Heritage auction (2 auctions ago) and some of the books reappearing back on the market only to sell at a huge loss. That is disconcerting to me as it makes for a very volatile market.

These books almost certainly didn't sell the first time around. No loss (except to the consignor). What's regrettable as while the market determined the books wen't worth what was "bid" (since they never paid), the books lost some panache and may have sold cheaper than they would've when the collection was intact and fresh.

Agreed.

There were some pretty hefty bids and I can only think that consignors that were counting on that cash coming in would have been mighty disappointed by the lack of funds if a bidder backed out.

If it was a large enough amount of money that didn't come through, that could create quite a backlash for people who either may have been looking to spend the proceeds in the same auction or with other sellers.

Now that its over, what was the final figure for the auction ?

about a hundred dollars

Heritage is saying $3.94M for Schmell/Pedigree.

Sounds as if Doug did rather well.

I actually thought his books were destined to sell a bit on the "soft side of pricing".

1)a great deal of high grades were auctioned off at one time. Then again, Maybe it helped any new buyers who were trying to build a high grade collection having such a large offering in one place?

2)I thought some anti pressing buyers would back off. Perhaps high grade buyers suspect that all their books have been pressed?

3)If any of Doug's books were tied for the highest grade I would rather buy one of the other copies hoping for a possible pressing upgrade (however small). We know that Doug's books were already maximized. Then again, maybe the other copies never come to market?

4)Is there any value to saying I bought a book from the Doug Schmell collection? If no one asks does the seller have to voluntarily disclose?