• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PARK AVENUE COLLECTION
4 4

2,877 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

Picked this up at about the same time as my DETECTIVE #168, early 1951.  Bought over 50 remainder

comics from the same store for around $3.00 total.

IMG SPACE  (200 dpi).jpg

I think I paid over 100 times what you did, and I only got the one book!  Mine’s not remaindered, but it’s not very high grade either.

Just an amazing lineup of creators in that one.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:22 AM, Marty Mann said:

Picked this up at about the same time as my DETECTIVE #168, early 1951.  Bought over 50 remainder

comics from the same store for around $3.00 total.

IMG SPACE  (200 dpi).jpg

I purchased remainders and IW comics from the local eastside Mom and Pop in Monroe for a nickel each or $5 for a hundred.  Most are not worth much except for the Showcase 17.  I like the early Mystery in Space issues but didn't keep very many from the fifties.

44196201372_9e9aeff157_b.jpg

I am offering my Remainder Copy of DETECTIVE COMICS #168 for sale during the upcoming ComicConnect Auction.

I bought this copy in March 1951 at a corner store in Scranton, PA...the store did not sell new comics but had a box

of these remainders for a nickle each.  While i don't agree with it, the book has been graded as RESTORED due to

what is viewed as "color touch".  The JOKER origin page is in excellent condition.

I am looking forward to  seeing how much interest there will be in this book from my PARK AVENUE COLLECTION.

Marty

Edited by Marty Mann

On 11/15/2019 at 2:51 PM, Larryw7 said:

Marty,.if you were the only owner of that book, then color touch seems impossible.

Agreed...but the Restoration Manager see's something that appears to be color-touch other than the Blue Remainder Ink.

DET1.17405A.jpg

DET1.17405B.jpg

Edited by Marty Mann

1. I wonder why they graded it incomplete? Is that because of the logo missing?  I've seen books with half the back cover off that got 1.0's? Or is there a page or coupon missing?
  2. Now that I think about it, I even have a book they graded 1.0 WITH a missing coupon, it's just noted on the cover. 

9 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:
  1. I wonder why they graded it incomplete? Is that because of the logo missing?  I've seen books with half the back cover off that got 1.0's? Or is there a page or coupon missing?
  2. Now that I think about it, I even have a book they graded 1.0 WITH a missing coupon, it's just noted on the cover. 

I believe the INCOMPLETE is for the missing cover...I didn't cut anything from this book.

Marty

35 minutes ago, Marty Mann said:

I believe the INCOMPLETE is for the missing cover...I didn't cut anything from this book.

Marty

You mean the missing top part of the cover? I didn't think  you cut anything, I was just surprised they said it was incomplete for just the top part missing.

So I looked up "remaindered" CGC and found this thread. https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/306628-remainder-copy-of-detective-168/page/2/#comments

Good thing you didn't sell it for $150 back then because I just bid $500 and got outbid right away;) 

Good luck with the auction, I'm sure a few of us will continue watching.