• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PARK AVENUE COLLECTION
4 4

2,884 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2024 at 3:14 PM, ThothAmon said:

Great stuff Marty. Keep it coming. Excuse me if you’ve addressed this earlier. When did you first decide to “collect” your comics ie worry about keeping them nice?  When did they first get bags/boards?  Were you concerned about light, temperature or humidity at some point?  Were you aware of Overstreet early on?  Love stories about collectors before it was a thing so I’d appreciate hearing your journey as a collector. 

Thank you for your interest in my collection. I always tried to keep my books in good condition  as I read and reread them over  the years..

I packed them away in 1954 as I entered the NAVY and unpacked them  again in 1976.

My two sons and I attended our first Comic Book Show in 1976. I couldn't believe all of the comic books, boxes after boxes, all the books

packed in clear plastic bags selling for what I believed to be a lot of money for old 10 cent comics,

Looking at  them table after table, I realized that I had many of these books in boxes at home  boxes I hadn't opened for over  20 years..

Talking to the dealers at the tables they all suggested if I was interested in knowing the value of my books I should invest in a copy

of OVERSTREET'S PRICE GUIDE.

I bought a copy for $7.50 and the dealer threw in  a package of 100 bags. ,

We went home, brought out a box, let them air out and spent the Summer looking at and bagging books.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I truly enjoy sharing.

Marty

On 4/18/2024 at 10:00 AM, Marty Mann said:

I bought a copy for $7.50

Thanks for your service Marty and for sharing. What convention was it and did you buy any comics? Did any of your kids get the collecting bug?  Guessing this might have been the Overstreet you bought.

IMG_1767.jpeg

Thank you for your interest in my collection. I always tried to keep my books in good condition  as I read and reread them over  the years..

What were your favourite titles as a kid? Are they still your favourite titles from back in the 1940's?

My two sons and I attended our first Comic Book Show in 1976. I couldn't believe all of the comic books, boxes after boxes, all the books packed in clear plastic bags selling for what I believed to be a lot of money for old 10 cent comics,

What prompted you to go to that show? Were your two sons avid comic fans? If so which titles? And are they still comic collectors?

I bought a copy for $7.50 and the dealer threw in  a package of 100 bags. ,

We went home, brought out a box, let them air out and spent the Summer looking at and bagging books.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I truly enjoy sharing.

The comics on the stands were thirty cents in 1976. Were you tempted to pick up any of the new ones?

???

Edited by Hepcat