• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buried Treasure Inside your Magazines...
2 2

34 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2019 at 9:27 AM, aardvark88 said:

Overstreet does not breakout all the Matt Baker Voodoo reprints in 'Weird' magazine. e.g. Edited or 'enhanced' art (extra knife blade through skull in splash) from volume 4, #6 (1970) by Eerie Publications:

sc5YFwP.jpg

:headbang: this thread is a blast from the past. 

When it comes to expressiveness of line work and the art of narrative storytelling, there are only 2 or 3 true masters in the history of comic art.  Alex Toth was one of them.  I personally can’t get enough of his lyrical drawing and highly recommend it to any who are new to it.

Renowned underground comix artist Gilbert Shelton got his first big break when Pete Millar's Drag Cartoons began to carry his strips on a regular basis with this issue:

014_zps1a2ec2ec.jpg

Shelton's Wonder Wart-Hog strip began as a monthly feature:

WWConcession+Stand+01.jpg

While his Bull o'Fuzz strip also began appearing in the pages of Drag Cartoons but on a more haphazard basis:

shelton.jpg

The Wonder Wart-Hog strip must have been popular with readers because it rated a cover mention a mere four months later:

014_zps7d93e5c6.jpg

And another four months later the Wonder Wart-Hog strip graduated to full cover feature treatment:

015_zps9593326e.jpg

Millar Publications then launched the short-lived but now fabled Wonder Wart-Hog magazine late in 1966:

23-08-201172856PM.jpg

23-08-201172902PM.jpg

This was definitely a big break for Shelton as the magazine proved to be a major milestone in the future underground comix legend's young career. 

:juggle:

Edited by Hepcat

Bloody hell! I don't understand the inconsistency when it comes to posting pictures on this forum. The IMG tags are unnecessary, but sometimes the program posts the pictures, other times just the links. It is to scream.

:frustrated:

Please! I can learn to work within any programming. Just give me consistency! That's not too much to ask from a machine.

(shrug)

I was into them by early 1965 as a kid!

:wink:

After I restarted comic and magazine collecting as an adult in 1979, it took me over a dozen years before I was able to start finding any Drag Cartoons, Big Daddy Roth, CARtoons, Hot Rod Cartoons, Cycletoons, Surftoons, etc. issues in decent grade.They're still not widely collected in comicdom though which puzzles me.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat