• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does a water stain decrease grade?

31 posts in this topic

Well it's certainly not otherwise flawless..I'll say VG- like the Cap 4. Just an FYI, here's a nice looking book with a darker stain (not the same size but comparable) on the back cover, that's been graded F+. Stain

Brian

I've found a few more with some stains, if you need examples. Haven't found any with the same size as yours, found slightly smaller and darker..or lighter and around the same size tongue.gif

The problem with yours is the darkening of the back cover makes the stain darker. frown.gif

Brian

I'm not sure that the mark on the back LRC of that Blackhawk 21 is a stain; could be a dust or sun shadow. The Nic Cage Detective 38 CGC 9.4 had a MUCH worse dust shadow than that which ran all the way up the top and edge.

"Haven't found any with the same size as yours, found slightly smaller and darker..."

This is the point I was trying to make, the SIZE of the stain on araich's book puts it into the major defect catagory, meaning a VG+ at best IMHO.

If the stain was smaller then the book may have graded higher.

I've seen the same size and lighter in F 5.5, there's currently one in Heritage's auction..it's only that dark due to the tanning on of the cover. :\

Either way, it's a low grade book.

Brian

It's not that odd. Corners of books in unbagged stacks can stick out at just about any angle; the fact that it's isolated to one corner suggests that it may have been in a stack somewhere. I dunno why the "stain" breaks slightly in the middle; could have been string or something draped over the stack that caused the gap. Random positioning in stacks can cause non-uniform patterns.