• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I press comics and I like it

50 posts in this topic

Here's an example of a Batman # 207 I worked on this afternoon. I had already cleaned it before I took any pictures so I can't show the difference it made.

Front cover top left corner

BEFORE:

Pressing1.jpg

AFTER:

Pressing2.jpg

Back cover top right corner

BEFORE:

Pressing3.jpg

AFTER:

Pressing4.jpg

Nice!

Here are pics of my most extreme test.

I also filmed the entire destruction / rebirth so I can show what was done in 'realtime'.

7366740200_972b96ba4f_z.jpg

7366740006_b094f82c89_c.jpg

Haha, that's pretty good. At first I didn't think it was the same comic until I saw the spots on the back cover and some of the color breaking creases on the front cover that some of the deep creases caused.

Looks great! Are you using a dry mount heat-press to work on those books?

Yes, it's a dry mount heat press. I do some spot pressing first before doing the final press with the heat press.

Yes, it's a dry mount heat press. I do some spot pressing first before doing the final press with the heat press.

Just one question, do you keep the book closed when you press it, or do you open the book at the centerfold and lay it flat?

:facepalm:

You don't recommend opening up the book at the centerfold, and lay it flat before pressing?

I actually have no idea how pressing should be done. Have never found a 'how to' thread on these boards. Have read the odd thing about disassembling a book to press, laying it flat, keeping it closed, etc. I'm sure there'd be a number of ways to press.

:facepalm:

You don't recommend opening up the book at the centerfold, and lay it flat before pressing?

I actually have no idea how pressing should be done. Have never found a 'how to' thread on these boards. Have read the odd thing about disassembling a book to press, laying it flat, keeping it closed, etc. I'm sure there'd be a number of ways to press.

I don't know how to press a book either. I was just looking for a classic Dice response. :insane: It wasn't meant to be aimed at you. :)

Just one question, do you keep the book closed when you press it, or do you open the book at the centerfold and lay it flat?

There are a different techniques. If pressing is done as part of a larger restoration project I believe the pages are pressed while layed open as you mentioned but done more commonly with the comic closed when simply dry cleaning and pressing to remove creases and dents, skipping a lot of detail along the way.

There used to be one right here in this area but it got pulled. If I recall, FFB had a nice step by step process. Step 1 - even before you buy any equipment, equip yourself with tons of patience because you just can't rush these things.