• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RARE 1939-40 13" Superman Action Figure - 1st licensed Supes merchandise

15 posts in this topic

This may be one of the first of these offered for sale on the boards. This is a rare 13" wooden articulated Superman action figure that was produced by the Ideal Toy Company circa 1939-40. This was the first licensed Superman product and was released for the Christmas season following the first big marketing push for Superman over the summer of 1939. As such it is also the first superhero action figure of any kind. This is a truly historic item and rarely offered for sale.

As with most examples that you see today, it has been professionally restored. The cape, which rarely survives, is a reproduction and is simply tacked on for easy removal. The face and hair have been repainted as has the belt and parts of the body. There are some flecks of paint missing from around some of the joints but it's not readily apparent unless you move the limbs around. The work was done by a professional antique toy restorer in Atlanta and she has done a superb job. It really looks great. This is a wonderful display piece. If this doesn't sell I'll be happy to keep it.

A similar professionally restored example with a reproduction cape sold at Hake's a few years ago for $920. A very low grade unrestored example also sold for over $1300. Nice unrestored examples sell for several thousands. I am asking $900 for this figure insured and shipped domestically. Foreign shipping PM me.

Offers always considered, but :takeit: rules and thanks for looking.

Has this figure been restored? is the cape original?

Looks extremely nice!

Yes and no. See description above. (thumbs u

Guess I should have read the second paragraph. For some odd reason, I skipped right over it as if it never existed.

I don't blame you. I'm pretty bad about wall of text posts.