• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

:cloud9:

Awesome shellhead...

I think I loves you.(for realsies)

who the is "shellhead"?

;)

With a Thor avatar shouldn't he be "Goldilocks"? :D

Hey...stop that right now. (tsk)

That has a chance of catching on and I'm killing it right now. :sumo:

Awesome shellhead...

who the is "shellhead"?

;)

ok, since this is going slow, let's switch things up and get this ball rolling (thumbs u ,one of these offers must spark someone's interest! ( I can't see how not!) :headbang:

**and of course, shipped free anywhere in the U.S.!

Offer (1) - A bunch of 1st app's or #1's -

(Doomsday/Gambit/Ghost rider/Omega Red/Blink - Wolverine 1/Moonkight 1/ Cable 1/ Spidey 1/ Ghost rider 1..etc )

AND! The pushing warzone #1 cgc 9.6 (punisher is getting hot again! And one of my fav punisher covers!) (thumbs u

epji89.jpg

jh4hsg.jpg

--------------

Offer (2) speaking of "goldilocks!" lol , How's this amazing looking Thor Sketch! (Sketch by Sears/colored by Blair, ) Along with and a couple blanks in 9.6/9.8 condition

2yosax3.jpg

29db5z6.jpg

I did not realize rckstr1253 was the same boardie from the other thread, otherwise I’d have put up something on his behalf. hm

Sorry you did not get the TMNT figure (I did not notice it was a comic convention exclusive myself), but as others said do not let this discourage you on participating in future PIFs again in the future… (thumbs u

Making a commitment to pray for you and your family once again. :foryou:

I think you guys just missed a big chance to redeem yourselves.

In the spirit of actually Paying It Forward, why don't you just let him have it? (shrug)

Here's a chance to help someone get their mind off of something terrible at no actual cost to you. So what if his offer isn't instantly translatable into what you want?

Just my 2c

I am a bit confused about this post. Who are the people that missed their chance to redeem theirselves and from what? Couldnt anyone on the boards have claimed the item for him. Its kind of an interesting statement especially since boardies were already helping behind the scenes

We seem to be reading different threads. I can't tell if you're being disingenuous or you really don't get it. You seem like a nice, intelligent guy so I'll assume the later. :) Heck, you weren't even a member when this thread was created, so maybe you're not aware of its history.

And, yes, regarding your second post about me, you are correct - I meant what I wrote, not what Claudio "thought" I meant. :D

I used the term "you guys" because I didn't want to single anyone out, and in this specific case I still won't. I used the term "redeem" because of what occurred in this thread with rckstr1253, and seems to happen all too frequently with other new people trying to participate in this group activity which was designed to be fun. This was made all the more ugly in the eyes of many because of the circumstances surrounding a recent horrific event. I think it's awesome that things are being done behind the scenes to correct this; but, honestly, it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Sometimes it helps to take a step back and put yourself in the shoes of a new person trying to fit in, make friends, and have some fun. For most new boardies who discover the PIF thread, that process starts with reading the rules on Page 1. Let's review them. I've numbered them below within the spoiler to make it easy to reference.

RULES:

1) You must not be on the Hall of Shame list or be in poor standing on the boards

2) You must have at least 50 posts

3) If you claim some book(s), you must post your offering within 24 hours

4) Only one offer at a time. No new book(s) can be posted until the existing offer has been claimed

5) Post pics or scans of the book(s) you're giving away. Cell phone pics are fine

6) Don't take book(s) if you've got nothing to offer in return

7) If none of your offers are claimed within 4 days (96 hours) of your first offer, the previous offer automatically goes back up.

8) Don't ship your offer until you confirm the following offer has been claimed.

9) Ship book(s) quickly so people aren't left hanging. No later than two weeks after someone claims your offer.

10) Only one :takeit: every 7 days per member.

11) Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

12) You can ONLY "take" a book after it has been listed.

13) Be honest

14) Have fun!

rckstr1253 did everything correctly. He didn't break or bend a single rule. He was polite, courteous, respectful, and eager to try as hard as he could.

Now let's review what the "you guys" part of this did:

A) A new offer was put up. rckstr1253 claimed it two hours later.

B) Nine hours into his 24 hour time limit, the badgering to get his offer up immediately began.

C) 11 hours in, he explained he was searching for comics that he thought someone might be interested in.

D) Quite a few comments were made after this about hoping he would be unsuccessful and that it would revert, along with more badgering about how long his offer was taking.

E) Six hours before his time limit was up, he posted his first offer and explained that if they weren't taken he'd put up some more options. At this point, according to rule #7, he had 96 more hours before his offer reverted.

F) Seven hours into his 96 hour limit, he put up several new books as a new option to his offer.

G) Rule #11 states very clearly that value is not to be discussed, and that if you don't like the offer, then you don't have to take it.

H) Less than nine hours into his 96 hour limit, the "advice" started on what he might be doing wrong, along with not-so-subtle hints at value and demand.

I) 13 hours into his 96 hour limit he explained he would look for more books.

J) 30 minutes later, the advice about value resumed.

K) rckstr1253 now starts asking whether this book or that book would be acceptable "directly" to those who are complaining about his offer.

L) More value comments follow, as well as comments about the unacceptability of his offer, along with self-congratulations for not treating him harsher.

M) At 21 hours into his 96 hour limit, rckstr1253 is now apologizing for not realizing the value of his claim in relation to his offer and vows to find something more valuable. He mentions looking for some SA ASM books.

N) Three hours later, 24 hours into his 96 hour limit, he briefly explains his personal tragedy and the difficulty he's having concentrating and trying to find new books; bows out gracefully, allowing his claim to revert.

O) Three minutes later, someone posts a nasty, callous little animated gif which states, "Well...Bye."

P) Two minutes later, the previous offer is bumped into ready position.

Q) Six minutes later, someone reminds everyone about the tragedy and posts a link to a thread explaining it.

R) A few seconds later, the old offer is claimed.

Do you understand what I mean by "redeem" now? I would not want to be treated like this, and I know you wouldn't either - yet it happens here all the time, especially when new people try to participate.

There is absolutely no need for this behavior. The rules are in place now to prevent "junk donkeys" from getting away with their previous abuses. There is no need to police anyone's offer. If it's unacceptable, either the offeror will get the message on his own because of lack of interest, or it will revert after 4 days.

On the other hand, there "is" a need to police bad behavior from those who really just want a closed, fast-moving trading thread, and are abusing those who are following the rules and using the thread as it was designed - to Pay It Forward and have fun.

This thread was started with the best of intentions, and I'd really hate to see it locked or deleted, but that's where it's headed if something doesn't change soon. To those who break the rules, chase off new participants unless they put up the books they personally want, and generally seem to enjoy the constant fighting and bickering - this isn't the thread for you, please start one of your own.

:applause::applause::applause:

Very well put.

Might I suggest if someone asks a question about whether their offer if good or not that a polite reply via a PM should be the way to go. And since many of us once were children we have probably all heard the phrase "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

Great discussions.

Based on the recent posts the best course of action is to just not respond if you do not like an offer. Are people allowed to offer feedback if the person says "no one likes my books" or asks "are my offers not ok?" which happens pretty much every time a new person participates in the thread and the thread stalls for a couple days? Is it ok for the poster to say "tough crowd" or something similar or is that seen as being derogatory toward people not taking the offer?

hm

Lots of questions.

What are your answers to the questions you asked?

I see only two questions. (shrug) I tend to wait to see how others respond to my questions to not sway their answers.

Sorry. Jimmers already posted the correct answer.

:gossip: I count 3 btw.

My answer is play nice kids!

Jimmers... :luhv:

Boboset :cloud9::foryou:

Still in love with the Airboy...and how about that Antma..get a nice 35 yet? ???

Great discussions.

Based on the recent posts the best course of action is to just not respond if you do not like an offer. Are people allowed to offer feedback if the person says "no one likes my books" or asks "are my offers not ok?" which happens pretty much every time a new person participates in the thread and the thread stalls for a couple days? Is it ok for the poster to say "tough crowd" or something similar or is that seen as being derogatory toward people not taking the offer?

hm

Lots of questions.

What are your answers to the questions you asked?

I see only two questions. (shrug) I tend to wait to see how others respond to my questions to not sway their answers.

Sorry. Jimmers already posted the correct answer.

:gossip: I count 3 btw.

My answer is play nice kids!

Jimmers... :luhv:

Boboset :cloud9::foryou:

Still in love with the Airboy...and how about that Antma..get a nice 35 yet? ???

That Airboy cover. :cloud9:

TTA 35:

I had two copies but recently sold my 8.0. I still have this one and it presents really well plus it's a Twin Cities copy and I have two others from that pedigree in TTA Antman run. Looks much better than the 8.0 I sold.

lfaa_zps58b7432a.jpg

Awesome shellhead...

who the is "shellhead"?

;)

ok, since this is going slow, let's switch things up and get this ball rolling (thumbs u ,one of these offers must spark someone's interest! ( I can't see how not!) :headbang:

(Doomsday/Gambit/Ghost rider/Omega Red/Blink - Wolverine 1/Moonkight 1/ Cable 1/ Spidey 1/ Ghost rider 1..etc )

AND! The pushing warzone #1 cgc 9.6 (punisher is getting hot again! And one of my fav punisher covers!) (thumbs u

epji89.jpg

jh4hsg.jpg

--------------

Offer (2) speaking of "goldilocks!" lol , How's this amazing looking Thor Sketch! (Sketch by Sears/colored by Blair, ) Along with and a couple blanks in 9.6/9.8 condition

2yosax3.jpg

29db5z6.jpg

very nice offers!

Whoa, this is a tough crowd! :makepoint: ... Welp, here's the updated 1st and 2nd offering as well as a 3rd! Something has to spark someone's interest! (shrug)

epji89.jpg

jh4hsg.jpg

--------------

Offer (2) We have this amazing looking Thor Sketch! (by Sears/colored by Blair, ) Along with and a couple blanks in 9.6/9.8 condition

2yosax3.jpg

29db5z6.jpg

-----------------/

Offer (3) - here's a SA key, Fantastic four 49 (1st appearance of Galatus/ 2nd surfer/ 1st cover :blahblah: ) in very nice /well presenting/ complete condition as can see in pics! - only problem is, the spine has a split all the way to the top staple :eek: - how can you say no to a FF49 for free! :ohnoez::o

9jzz95.jpg

2q2n2hi.jpg

qye39t.jpg

This is my 1st time participating in this thread, so it's "kinda new" to me but got the jist .. Honestly wasn't expecting the lack of interest in (at least what I think) very good offers though ... I guess I was wrong .:shrug: ( or is it just the thread?)

.. :bump: (thumbs u

I think those are great offers. But I think it's a combination of time of year and people afraid of having to up the ante. And then there's Hot-seat-a-phobia.

I know I couldn't up the ante on those options without giving up a grail (or perhaps several of what I consider grails). And I have hot-seat-a-phobia; I've stalled this thread too many times in the past.

I think your offers are strong. But that's just my opinion.

-Terry

Thanks guys :) , yeah , Im trying make some solid offers for whoever claims my offer happy/worth their wild! ... (Some nice books I have out there IMO! :headbang:)

... Well, Hope one strikes someone's interest (thumbs u