• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series Goals for 2012 Con Season

15 posts in this topic

if you write about it... it will happen...

I've heard people say that if you write about something you intend to do, you are more likely to accomplish your goal. So with my first con season approaching after my discovery of CGC and the signature series I've set some goals for my (likely) 1 day foray to Dragon*con at the end of August.

With a 3 year old, a full time job, and a wife who travels internationally at the drop of a hat (thanks federal government!) I can usually only chisel out time for 1 day at a con, so I have to set some realistic but very targeted goals.

Currently the Dragon*con's main talent of interest is Jim Starlin and George Perez. George was at the con last year, but with all of the Avengers and Infinity Gauntlet hype I assume that both of these talents will be in constant demand.

Other talent at the show includes Dave Johnson (who has done great work on Deadpool) and Dustin Nguyen who created some amazing covers to one of my favorite titles Batgirl (Stephanie Brown version).

There's also Tim Sale and others, but their work doesnt direcly overlap with my interests (though time permitting a little Sale sketch would be amazing.

Im going to use this journal (posted over to the CGC boards) to post my planned signature goals, and then follow the submission process right to the bitter, waiting for the mail end of it all.

Time is running out for me today, so I will post more later, and show some of my first SS planned pieces.

-miraclemet

See more journals by miraclemet

Sounds like you're ready to have a great time. You might be surprised at the line for George Perez. When he was at Phoenix Con he was signing constantly and the line was always around 5-15 people long. Not bad at all. Be forewarned though, he tends to bend the comic pretty good when he signs. Good luck!

sig.jpg

Sounds like you're ready to have a great time. You might be surprised at the line for George Perez. When he was at Phoenix Con he was signing constantly and the line was always around 5-15 people long. Not bad at all. Be forewarned though, he tends to bend the comic pretty good when he signs. Good luck!

sig.jpg

Yeah, Perez was here at Dragon last year, so Im hoping that will stave off some of the lines. He does move fast, and doesnt get involved in anything to time consuming when there's a line (sigs, quick sketches, nothing to crazy). I got my COIE Absolute and my JLA/Avengers Absolute signed last year, so this year Im ready to focus on SS.

First up for my SS targets.

With Starlin and Perez being in the same room I first looked for books both worked on that I could get the double sig. So of course this was the first on on the list:

Infinity Gauntlet #1 Starlin/Perez (interiors & cover)

Q32hT.jpg

Then that dang Avengers movie came out, with that tag at the end and this book became the #1 book everyone (I'm betting) will be shoving in front of Jim and George for the next year. Not that this wouldnt have happened anyway but, still.. the volume!

Right now there are 29 SS on census for the book. It's gonna quadruple by end of the con season easily.

Only problem with this book, it is so chock full of action on the cover (but what else would you expect from a Perez event cover?) doing signature placement will be tough. The good spot is at the cuff of the gauntlet, but after that you are either going over the title, or having to deal with a silver pen that might not show as well... Will have to look for some more examples to see if there are any other good sig placement solutions.

Book #2: Blue Ribbon Digest #18 New Teen Titans SS: George Perez (Cover)

I wanted a Perez signature on one of his NTT books since he is so associated with that title's creation and development along with Marv Wolfman. I didnt want to just give him the same book as everyone else, and recently saw someone selling high grade copies of the Blue Ribbon Digests. So I went that way!

dZzuz.jpg

I cant wait to see his reaction to being handed this book. I remember reading these digests when I was a kid. It was a handy way to run around with comics in my pocket for reading up in the tree house.

Not an iconic cover, but a fun book to get signed, and it may be the only one on census when its done.

Strangely enough Perez only did the cover. The interior art was Infantino and some guy named Neal Adams! Maybe Adams will make the con this year...

Book #3: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #17 (Magazine)

Again I was trying to think "out of the box" and with Starlin & Perez at the show, and being my top 2 targets I wanted to find something else that they both contributed to (besides the first Infinity Gauntlet book above).

Had been looking for this on ebay, but when it showed up here in the sales thread, I snatched it up. In nice NM ish condition (perfect for sigs) it will look great with a few signatures on it. Plus with Iron Fist back in the mainstream these days, its a nice book in the collection...

l7Gyn.jpg

awesome

Book #3: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #17 (Magazine)

Again I was trying to think "out of the box" and with Starlin & Perez at the show, and being my top 2 targets I wanted to find something else that they both contributed to (besides the first Infinity Gauntlet book above).

Had been looking for this on ebay, but when it showed up here in the sales thread, I snatched it up. In nice NM ish condition (perfect for sigs) it will look great with a few signatures on it. Plus with Iron Fist back in the mainstream these days, its a nice book in the collection...

l7Gyn.jpg

I love the Bruce Lee covers in this series! Issue #1 is my favorite. It has an awesome Bruce Lee cover by Neal Adams. (thumbs u

I love the Bruce Lee covers in this series! Issue #1 is my favorite. It has an awesome Bruce Lee cover by Neal Adams. (thumbs u

I agree! DHoKF #17 has Perez art and a Neal Adams cover, and I'm keeping my eye out for a HG copy for signing and slabbing...

Book #4: Commission

Im trying to get a few sketches done along with my SS work, so I've been in contact with a few artists for some "precon" work that I can just pick up. Reverend Dave Johnson (100 Bullets covers) will be there, and he's done a long run of Deadpool covers as well. I thought getting a funny Deadpool cover as an homage to Night Nurse #4 with Deadpool in the nurse outfit would be awesome, in his wheelhouse, and also fit my gothic horror theme collection...

Here's the original:

fC0AC.jpg

Talked to his OA/Art agent and strike one ("not something he'd be into doing") :cry:

Second shot:

Batgirl in a Gothic Horror theme'd setting done in the style of his Detective Comics covers.

2KcuI.jpg

We'll see what he says. Thinking of using a Fear Itself cover, since the DC covers wont be out by Dragon*con.

Good luck with your quest! I was in the Perez line last year for a quick sketch and can tell yout that at least last year they were moving people that were there to get signatures to the front of the line every 2 to 3 sketches just to keep the line down. It never got out of control but I think I counted at one time about 15 people in line.

You should be able to do what you need in one day but if you only get one day make sure you pin down when Perez will be at his table. Dragon Con is a "fun" con for him and he knows a lot of the people there and likes to run around the convention. :) Check his facebook updates while you are there....

See you there, I'll be down probably for 1 day myself now that I know Rose McGowan will be there :cloud9:

Good luck with your quest! I was in the Perez line last year for a quick sketch and can tell yout that at least last year they were moving people that were there to get signatures to the front of the line every 2 to 3 sketches just to keep the line down. It never got out of control but I think I counted at one time about 15 people in line.

I was the second guy they did that for! I thought it made sense cause yeah it kept the line down... Were you there on Friday at the start of his signings?

Dragon Con is a "fun" con for him and he knows a lot of the people there and likes to run around the convention. :)

I have a picture of George taking pictures of some barely dressed cosplayers right before he started... he definitely has fun at this con!

Well havent been in this journal in a while but my SS activity has picked up (compared to zero in the past)...

I did get Par2ch to facilitate two book signings for me at Dragon*con, and much thanks to him.

Decided, relatively last minute to skip pressing my HOS 181 signed by Neal Adams since I planned on getting it graded anyway, so why not get it graded with a signature!?!

XGIE5.jpg

Also decided to be the 8 thousandth person to get Infinity Gauntlet #1 signed by Starlin/Perez

Q32hT.jpg

I'm leaning towards selling this one to help finance the other one depending on what grade it comes back with. But if I decide otherwise Im sure I wont be the first guy to toss the "funding" plan for the sake of keeping an awesome book.

My next SS buy a month ago was one of my favorite covers around....

tVX14.jpg

DC Special #6. A book full of western reprint matieral with just an 8 page, Gil Kane drawn, framing sequence. My understanding is that outside of the framing story there are no Sci-Fi elements to the book, despite the cover... Some poor kid in the 70s was very disappointed.

I had been looking to grab one of these, and wouldnt you know the same week an 8.5 popped up on ebay, this nice SS 7.0 shows up on the boards. I decided to spend the same money for a lesser book with a great sig. NO regrets.