• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Had a Medai Mail shipment opened for inspection.

88 posts in this topic

The problem I think some people have with the interpretive aspect of MM shipments is that while the sender's PO might be okay with the shipment, it's not a guarantee that the recipient's will.

I would think having extra insurance on a MM package would make it more likely for a PO employee to wonder what might be in said package and then review, although I admit complete ignorance to the internal operations of the Post Office

I actually sent my son two softback books recently via media mail, and got the third degree. The 'fragile' sticker was a big red flag - it was leftover from when the package was sent to me.

My p.o. knows what I typically send, so I really don't have the option to send comics media mail, unless I either:

1) lie about the contents

or

2) prepay through paypal and dump the package in the slot, avoiding the people/counter all together.

The downside of #2 is that anyone can reach in through the slot and help themselves to what ever is in there. Hence, I always go to the counter and have the books physically checked in by an attendant, even though I prepay on line. I live in a small town, so I can go to the P.O. at 12:30 pm and no one is ever in there - in fact, I have to ring the bell to get someone to come to counter.

The problem I think some people have with the interpretive aspect of MM shipments is that while the sender's PO might be okay with the shipment, it's not a guarantee that the recipient's will.

I would think having extra insurance on a MM package would make it more likely for a PO employee to wonder what might be in said package and then review, although I admit complete ignorance to the internal operations of the Post Office

I actually sent my son two softback books recently via media mail, and got the third degree. The 'fragile' sticker was a big red flag - it was leftover from when the package was sent to me.

My p.o. knows what I typically send, so I really don't have the option to send comics media mail, unless I either:

or

2) prepay through paypal and dump the package in the slot, avoiding the people/counter all together.

The downside of #2 is that anyone can reach in through the slot and help themselves to what ever is in there. Hence, I always go to the counter and have the books physically checked in by an attendant, even though I prepay on line. I live in a small town, so I can go to the P.O. at 12:30 pm and no one is ever in there - in fact, I have to ring the bell to get someone to come to counter.

I'm not sure why youthink you have to lie.

In my PO, they always ask if there is anything liquid, perishable or flamable.

Sometimes they ask what is in it and I reply books or 'bound, printed, subject matter.'

Neither is a lie.

or

I'm not sure why youthink you have to lie.

In my PO, they always ask if there is anything liquid, perishable or flamable.

Sometimes they ask what is in it and I reply books or 'bound, printed, subject matter.'

Neither is a lie.

It's a lie because I know what the rules are.

I have shipped 10,000 plus raw books media mail after asking my large local office if it was acceptable. Everyone said it is fine and many have been with the USPS for decades.

Out of the tens of thousands of books shipped by media mail only one incident and it was about a month ago. A small post office returned one to me deemed invalid for media mail.

When I called the returning office they said it was because comics contain cartoons and cartoons are not allowed to be shipped media mail.

No lie, that is what I was told.

Called USPS, they said call no less then 6 local post offices to get the average answer and that would be my answer.

No lie, that is what I was told.

Called 6 local post offices, all said it was ok.

Still sending books out Media Mail, not one damaged package yet *knock on wood*

All slabs, high dollar, rare books go priority.

I too have had full long boxes shipped to me media mail.