• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, James J said:

My wife loves it and my two girls really enjoy it..

That's cool, enjoy!  Or is it everyone but dad that likes them?   My girl likes my two machines .    Wife would throw them in the garbage happily ;)    

I live by a boardwalk that has a bunch of arcades. That's where me and my wife grew up. That's all she plays is pinball. My sister has the Terminator pinball machine. I'm not sure which one but it's cool, it's fun to play as well.

OMFG - I'm at the Metro WD exhibition and this artwork is mind-blowing.  My hat is off to James - assembling this many key pieces is a tremendous accomplishment.  I know there are bigger WD cover collections out there, but I can't imagine that there is another collection out there with this many key moments from the series. 

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

OMFG - I'm at the Metro WD exhibition and this artwork is mind-blowing.  My hat is off to James - assembling this many key pieces is a tremendous accomplishment.  I know there are bigger WD cover collections out there, but I can't imagine that there is another collection out there with this many key moments from the series. 

To confirm they are showing the entire collection not just the next auction's lots?

1 minute ago, cstojano said:

To confirm they are showing the entire collection not just the next auction's lots?

They are showing a fraction of the total collection, and it's a mix of pieces from the next auction and from future auctions. 

A friend has the page after this one where Tyreese head gets chopped off-any ideas on value guys?

571da15168f8a6edebcd47bc28fd936b.jpg

Go and look at what is listed here. You have a massive lot of recent results to draw your own conclusions from. Things are a bit all over the place, but you might find a high/low dollar value across those examples:

http://www.comicartshop.com/forsalesearchresult.asp?Page=8&txtSearch=&selOwner=75&TimeSpan=&Order=Date

Would it BIN somewhere in the middle at $450? Probably. There are over 1150 pages for sale via Charlie's rep at source and fairly decent panel pages with action are $725 - $1250, so the secondary market is more bang for your buck.

Would it do better or worse on any given day as a no reserve auction? Errr... you just need enough interested bidders not to whiff :P

The comic connect auction was really well promoted so it won't always follow that eBay will get you the same attention on BIN. Have seen some decent ones relisted multiple times without sale.

The page your friend has is certainly a memorable one and a really good example of what made the early story so gripping.  Also kind of but not really a "death of" page as it happens across several pages. I don't see why it wouldn't get a reasonable amount. A bit too gruesome to put on the wall IMHO.

Edited by Garf

11 hours ago, kav said:

A friend has the page after this one where Tyreese head gets chopped off-any ideas on value guys?

The page after this one is even more vomit-inducing. :sick: 

I would guess anywhere from $800 to $1500...call it $1200-ish.  The market has definitely gotten slammed from the James J collection sale and the relentless pile-up of new pages month after month but the more memorable early pages will still find buyers.  

Does anyone here have the image of the specific page in question which can be shared?...

During 2019, will the number of 'speculation' buyers for 'key' & 'semi-key' pages of Charlie Adlard drawn Walking Dead pages (continue to) significantly decrease?...

I guesstimate that a significantly larger amount of 'speculation money' in the original comic book art market will continue to go elsewhere in pursuit of a higher ROI?...

For the same money, I would rather buy a decent Master of Kung Fu cover than a couple/few 'key' or 'semi-key' pages of Charlie Adlard drawn Walking Dead art...

49 minutes ago, Claudio said:

I think this is what he is talking about.  Personally, I think it is very hard to predict Adlard TWD pricing nowadays.  Pricing seemed to collapse for some pages while others have held value.  

16.jpg

yes thats the one

On 1/30/2019 at 11:32 AM, delekkerste said:

The page after this one is even more vomit-inducing. :sick: 

I would guess anywhere from $800 to $1500...call it $1200-ish.  The market has definitely gotten slammed from the James J collection sale and the relentless pile-up of new pages month after month but the more memorable early pages will still find buyers.  

I’d lay off the vast majority of WD art at those prices. The show’s been on long enough now that any spill over effect to OA has taken effect by now. And prices seem to be leveling off or even going down now. Unless, of course, you really love the art! 😁

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I’d lay off the vast majority of WD art at those prices. The show’s been on long enough now that any spill over effect to OA has taken effect by now. And prices seem to be leveling off or even going down now. Unless, of course, you really love the art! 😁

I'd be willing to bet that there are more people that love the art than worry about the ROI.  The more i think about it, the higher my estimate increases.  TWD, especially the first 48 issues, was amazing.  

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

That is pretty funny. 

Are there any suckers on the CGC boards that buy art because they love it?  xD   What a sorry group they must be.  :roflmao:

10 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

That is pretty funny. 

Are there any suckers on the CGC boards that buy art because they love it?  xD   What a sorry group they must be.  :roflmao:

There’s lots of art that I love that I also think is overpriced. I’m pretty sure that’s true for the vast majority of OA collectors. I don’t understand why this is a controversial opinion. 

9 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

There’s lots of art that I love that I also think is overpriced. I’m pretty sure that’s true for the vast majority of OA collectors. I don’t understand why this is a controversial opinion. 

It's not controversial to think someone has art you like (or their is art available) that you think is overpriced.  We're each responsible for determining what we think is a fair price/overpriced/underpriced. 

My response was more towards the "unless you really love it" comment. It was not meant for you directly, but more generally for the 'grail today, sale tomorrow' crowd. Or those making NEW ART posts here or in a facebook group and when you see it on CAF it's got the red border of FOR SALE.  You know, the CAF where 90%-100% of the folders are FOR SALE. The SOLD folder has 100+ pieces and the COLLECTION is 3 pieces. So my disdain for "collectors" who's favorite artist is a guy named Commodity came out.