• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

It's not controversial to think someone has art you like (or their is art available) that you think is overpriced.  We're each responsible for determining what we think is a fair price/overpriced/underpriced. 

My response was more towards the "unless you really love it" comment. It was not meant for you directly, but more generally for the 'grail today, sale tomorrow' crowd. Or those making NEW ART posts here or in a facebook group and when you see it on CAF it's got the red border of FOR SALE.  You know, the CAF where 90%-100% of the folders are FOR SALE. The SOLD folder has 100+ pieces and the COLLECTION is 3 pieces. So my disdain for "collectors" who's favorite artist is a guy named Commodity came out. 

I've yet to sell a single one of my pieces, and I have actually declined to buy art that I knew was undervalued in the market, that I didn't otherwise really like, just to flip it. That's too much effort and work for a hobby I want to be fun. I don't want to buy stuff I don't really love or enjoy just to commoditize it. Yes, I know I could do that and build up a war chest for art I do like, but as I said, that turns the hobby into something less fun for me personally. Some folks are OK with doing that, or think it's fun. but, I don't. That said, I do think about the value of a piece I am buying and while I am willing to pay a premium (somewhat) directly to an artist (or via his or her rep), for a piece, I am not going to do that with a dealer or on CAF or eBay via the second hand market. I'm fine with "overpaying" a bit for something if the money goes directly into an artist's pocket, though. 

The Walking Dead comic book has been cancelled!!  Robert Kirkman and many news outlets are confirming that the last issue will be issue #193. :cry: 

PLEASE, NO SPOILERS ABOUT THE RECENT STORYLINE for the sake of the many, including myself, who haven't gotten to it yet (sadly, it's already been spoiled for me, but, perhaps others can be spared).  Note that if you Google any articles about the cancellation, they will all include MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR spoilers about the recent events in the book. 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

The Walking Dead comic book has been cancelled!!  Robert Kirkman and many news outlets are confirming that the last issue will be issue #193. :cry: 

PLEASE, NO SPOILERS ABOUT THE RECENT STORYLINE for the sake of the many, including myself, who haven't gotten to it yet (sadly, it's already been spoiled for me, but, perhaps others can be spared).  Note that if you Google any articles about the cancellation, they will all include MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR spoilers about the recent events in the book. 

Has it been "cancelled," or has Kirkman just decided to end the series? I can't believe its sales are down so much that it would be cancelled.

11 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Has it been "cancelled," or has Kirkman just decided to end the series? I can't believe its sales are down so much that it would be cancelled.

Kirkman is ending it.  Sales are still fine.

Edited by Solar

It sounds like the series has ended (or, finished) as opposed to canceled. I remember a few years ago at Image Comics Expo, Kirkman said he had enough story to go 300 issues (or he said he planned to go 300 issues). This was at the time All Out War came out. I wonder if he burned out. 

As far prices are concerned, I guess there is now a finite amount of work (not including new covers made for trades) where collectors can decide what’s the best out there instead of waiting for something cool to come around or a new character. 

I’ve also been seeing more Tony Moore art selling out there. 

4 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It's cancelled...because Kirkman decided to end the series. :preach:

This is interesting. Now we can see if the market will support itself near-term and some years out without the property itself propping it up. (Price moves for back issues over time should tell us how art will eventually behave too.) And of course the comic ending doesn't particularly mean The End for all forms of media either!

I have no horse in this race. Haven't read WD since...whatever the fourth trade collected, maybe? Could be the third even, would have to go to my bookshelf to confirm...ugh...long walk...don't care enough to bother ;)

But seriously, now that it's done I probably will go back and do the entire thing end-to-end, once through. I'm sure that will be fun. (And worthless upon resale!)

@vodou IMHO overall it is a fun read... certainly has enough stand out moments to be memorable. 

Agree that it is interesting to see how this all plays out in the market now that we have a beginning, middle and end. It's still going to be quite some time before the true impact of nostalgia is seen on this one though.

----------------

Spoiler

*fluff*

Still shocked it happened this way... but yeah it either needed to either go somewhere entirely new with what was being explored or finish.

The real reason that I am sad to see it end isn't because I wanted to see more of the same, or that I was truly emotionally invested in the story for quite some time... it's because it was the book which brought me back into the fold after years of being an uber casual occasional TPB reader. TWD during its first few years was refreshing. It felt like a well needed kick to the arse of the campy capes and costumes I was mostly fed up with.

Obviously there is plenty of other gritty/horror/indie stuff out there ... but maybe without it I wouldn't have found the time to go back over a lot of old indie/imprint books with that spark of originality which I hadn't previously made time for, or moved forward into what this era has to offer... or now currently be churning though a lot of Franco-Belgian comics as there is a real wealth of storytelling there which is where I know I want to be, miles away from the often bland offerings of the big two (it's a joy that so much of it has been translated in digital format now and that I have decades worth of material to catch up on, I still pick up some physical copies in French when on holiday, and I can get by, but it's sometimes hard going). I'm not going to knock the DC and Marvel stuff I used to love as a kid, I just have to pick and choose a lot more as I have gotten older.

So yeah... a journey of 193 issues and everything else that went with it.

On 9/27/2017 at 5:40 PM, Bill C said:

Somewhere near 500 pages or so...

Are there other known collectors that have half that amount in any other series? I'm guessing there have to be a couple

There is this one nutty guy that did something similar with Romita Spiderman pages.

i think any time you’re talking about a series like the walking dead where there’s just tons of pages. The value with staying power is going to come from key moments in the story. Whether that’s covers from key books, or key internal pages. The page that Phil originally described doesn’t excite me, but Phil’s collection of moments from issue 48 does. It SUPER excites me. But so would Negan beating the out of Glenn, or Eugene biting Dwight in the balls, or Dale laughing maniacally while cannibals eat his tainted flesh... or any number of fantastic moments both before or after the fateful day at the prison. 

I also disagree that there isn’t staying power in the OA. I think the hype train from the show has pretty much run its course. There may be a little more tapering but it’s mostly done, and then the rest will be natural increase driven by nostalgia and love of the series over time like any other thing. It just depends on whether you’re looking to get off sooner, or if you intend to hold on for the long haul. 

My pages have been up on my wall in frames for a decade because I love them :headbang: . In short be picky, just like any other art collecting. It should be a page you love, not the page that’s available. And if the pages you love aren’t available, then wait for them to pop up and keep your ear to the track. That’s the real guarantee you need Phil... that you’ll love them. That way if they go down in value you at least got to love them and that’s worth money too. It’s also why all my saving doesn’t go to art... gotta have those pure money investments too... and I don’t think art fits that mold. 

hi everyone :) a couple of familiar faces. I stopped collecting WD bx the pricing was too high. It's back to normal now, and I am back in. I think long-term the pricing will rise, but not as quickly as the 2012ish spikes we saw. Hope everyone is doing well :)

8 minutes ago, JS said:

hi everyone :) a couple of familiar faces. I stopped collecting WD bx the pricing was too high. It's back to normal now, and I am back in. I think long-term the pricing will rise, but not as quickly as the 2012ish spikes we saw. Hope everyone is doing well :)

Ugh. I remember you. I didn't miss you, and as far as I can tell, neither did the rest of the hobby. Have Magic collectors now also had enough of you constantly complaining about high prices, while at the same time trying to flip art for even more ridiculous prices, too? Can't imagine that hypocrisy plays well anywhere.

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

Ugh. I remember you. I didn't miss you, and as far as I can tell, neither did the rest of the hobby. Have Magic collectors now also had enough of you constantly complaining about high prices, while at the same time trying to flip art for even more ridiculous prices, too? Can't imagine that hypocrisy plays well anywhere.

I don't remember you, but it's been quite a while since I've posted here. If I had to guess, you are upset because I bought/sold/traded WD art and for whatever reason you are miffed about me making a few bucks off it? What you probably don't know is I still have most of my WD collection and that I've always been a stand up guy, never scammed anyone, never didn't pay or ship or anything like that. I am sorry you are upset and you may refuse to accept this, but you really have no reason to be. I am still very active in the Magic community, I represent a few artists, and I am an active buyer/seller/trader. Anyway, I don't hold any negative feelings toward you, even if you refresh my memory on who you are, because frankly I don't care enough. I am happy to be back collecting WD art and thanks for the warm welcome back :nyah:

Also, maybe not in prices, but just in interest or "buzz"? I mean it seems natural, now that the book's ended that at some point it's bound to happen. But there was such a huge inflation of OA prices from before the show to the show's heyday.