• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

Ah man! those are awesome! I have page 5 from the issue and have been hoping to see the page after it come up for sale! Too bad it was in the U.K. with no International Shipping.

Doug is on the money, but I bet if these pages were available in the U.S. and more people knew, they would reach 1K each easy.

Totally agree, I would have bid 1k+ if I even knew about them. :sorry:

Jum

Ah man! those are awesome! I have page 5 from the issue and have been hoping to see the page after it come up for sale! Too bad it was in the U.K. with no International Shipping.

Doug is on the money, but I bet if these pages were available in the U.S. and more people knew, they would reach 1K each easy.

Jum

I sent the seller a message. Hell, I'll try anything. :cry:

Jum

I sent the seller a message. Hell, I'll try anything. :cry:

fantastic pages, i bid on them but was a bit short, i should gave bid in the £500-£600 range, those pages really worth the money , nothing better than pre 37 Zombies action pages :cloud9:

Thought I'd spark this thread a little bit.

As of a few months ago - covers were going for upwards of 3K. As of recently I've heard of several personal collectors paying upwards of 6K for a cover, which is certainly a "jump".

Interior pages seem to have remained steady-- however, splashpageart now only has around 25 pages from before issue 70, only about 1 issue worth of pages, so the availability of these earlier pages is becoming a little scarcer.

Many comic collectors are turning towards the OA market - I think most of us can agree with this. There are only so many "good", non run of the mill pages to go around. I've also seen a LARGE number of new comic readers being turned onto comics because of this series - sorry for the redundant statement but I mean this sincerely. Look at the number of "walking dead" pieces on CAF and then look at the number of "preacher" pieces. The WD is only a few away from passing Preacher for more uploaded art. If you then look at the number of those who have uploaded WD pages you'll find that many have just "started" collecting with those. I hate to do the "compare TWD to "x" " thing - but I think it's interesting to see this happening.

I have no comment on that except that with more issues and therefore more pages in existence, I would certainly expect more WD pages than preacher pages on CAF, no? I mean WD just hit issue #100 and preacher stopped after what, 66?

Assuming the page counts are the same that's 50% more WD art in existence so I'm not sure I would draw anything from there being more of it on CAF as compared to preacher

What I was trying to get at is that there aren't many people getting into OA saying "I have to get a Preacher page", at least not many that are actively posting their recent acquisitions online. It was a stupid comparison, but I only wanted to use it to show the difference between new collectors buying interests and established collectors buying interests..

The Nowell Brothers are single handedly dictating the marketplace right now. Check CAF, they are buying everything and upload it onto to CAF as fast as they can get it it. They are gobbling up a lot of the good material and I'm told it's quite the "black hole" collection, which will put pressure on the pricing of the remaining good material.

Another example of where prices are at. The Tony Moore "April Fools Day" cover, an unpublished image that measures 6x9 was offered to me for less than half it sold for on ComicLink last week, just six weeks ago when I was looking for Moore artwork. I'm glad I stayed the course as I picked up two killer Moore pieces a couple of weeks ago from Tony himself.

The owner of the cover of #27 told me he turned down an offer of 10k recently, and had purchased for a quarter of that less than six months ago.

Jim

meanwhile I have some pretty nice pages on ebay which have plenty of watchers but zero offers (with the exception of the zombie splash, which got an offer of $1000 which I turned down and $450 offer on a Michonne page which in hindsight I guess I should have taken...)...and my BIN's are not SO out of line with current pricing...

I've said this in another thread - I think WD for the next year will stabilize out - WD got white hot really quickly -

I honestly think a lot of it was because of the same 100 people or so..those same 100 people are buying and selling --

Every day Kirkman is spreading his label thinner and thinner - now theres a WD magazine!?!?

Soon we will get the WD official zombie toothpaste.

Sooner, rather than later - the WD franchise will hit its apex (if its not there already), and then it will slowly start to lose readership and ultimately fans.

To boot - Adlard's work has become downright bad. To be fair to him, lets call it inconsistent.

While that may keep levels of his older work at a decent price-point, ultimately with the loss in fan-base and interest, I think we will see all non-key pages (probably a total of 30 or so key pages) lose quite a bit of value -

My prediction for about 3+ years out.. -- run of the mill pages go for $100 again ebay and elsewhere, (even though run of the mill pages now are about $150 -- people tend to overlook the fact that a lot of WD pages sell for less than 200 on ebay because they arent that nice)

Take for example that guy Lorne who sold on ebay.co.uk - he struggled to get them up to the $150 range. He had about 15 pages up...he actually had to PULL A FEW because he was going to lose money!

That is coming direct from him - as a direct source (I was in contact with him about his older pages, which I bought)

zombie pages, splashes, or well drawn ones will level out between $2-500

exceptional pages and those older ones that are just OK (large art) between 5-1000

and the 30 or so amazing pages are 1k to about 5k -- that includes covers.

Now obviously those of us who got pages when they were $35 back in the day, have made off wonderfully, and personally, now I think is the time to unload if you paid at that price point...

I plan on running a few auctions once the show is back on..

There isn't a lit matchsticks chance on the cold side of the planet that WD 27 cover will be worth 10k in 3 years.

I know who that guy is and he is an absolute insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not selling for 10k

Moore pages I think will always be high on value - about half of what he is charging now - so anywhere between 2-5k - only because they are early pages, and the WD fanatics will bid them up bc a WD Moore page is a jewel piece for any even mild WD fan.

Just my 2 cents..

Edited by Jerry S

There isn't a lit matchsticks chance on the cold side of the planet that WD 27 cover will be worth 10k in 3 years.

I know who that guy is and he is an absolute insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not selling for 10k

Just my 2 cents..

Which one is more MAROON?

COLLECTOR A

or

COLLECTOR B

If you don't own it, it shouldn't be on display in your CAF rantrant

Sooner, rather than later - the WD franchise will hit its apex (if its not there already), and then it will slowly start to lose readership and ultimately fans.

To boot - Adlard's work has become downright bad. To be fair to him, lets call it inconsistent.

I don't know. Inconsistent art still sells books.

http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=377543&dId=1

that splash isn't half bad..

thats a nice splash - and a fair price...I would have thought about buying that Phil.

Still - need I remind you about Abraham's death? absolutely terrible.

edit - ehh its on the high end of market value...its a nice well drawn double splash page - but still...1000!

it is pretty nice though :)

Edited by Jerry S

thats a nice splash - and a fair price...I would have thought about buying that Phil.

Still - need I remind you about Abraham's death? absolutely terrible.

edit - ehh its on the high end of market value...its a nice well drawn double splash page - but still...1000!

it is pretty nice though :)

A nice page if you like art with no characters, no zombies and nothing happening. If you DO like any of those things, maybe not so nice.

Well seeing as #103 pages upwards are likely to be sold directly on Ebay from now on people are going to see exactly how deep this goes. What I want to know is if they will be BIN, BIN/BO or auction. If a "good" zombie page is $650 - $700 on Splash then you can probably add 10% ebay fee and say 4% Paypal on top of the Splash price for BIN. So maybe not BIN? Besides auctions would be far more interesting :P

This has the potential to spread awareness of OA availability. There haven't really been regular international listings up until ... well soon. I'd say it's the right move for Mark / Charlie looking at the secondary market right now. Yes there have been some people who have struggled to break even but in general the listings have been atrocious... and why would the agent / artist care if they are still getting roughly the same value or better?

Maybe it will answer a few questions on here.

There is one other attraction about TWD OA in general for me (that I have mentioned before) and I would think for other people too. I have given up on getting a full run of TWD because it's now realistically out of reach for me. Have been quite happily flipping what I have (and have bought up) to get OA and then sticking with trades. I simply shudder at the thought of paying out $xxxx.00 for #1, but am happy to fill the void with something unique like OA.

It isn't always about the money. Maybe he just really likes it and doesn't feel like selling it. Isn't that why we buy OA in the first place? To enjoy it?