• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

That's along the lines of what I was thinking about the same page... tempting but I think if a couple more would have joined in then it would have pushed it to the $7 - 800 zone for talking heads and there is always the next thing around the corner... as well as it being in the slippery slope zone for me where it's not a stretch from there to get something I have written off purely because I have considered myself priced out of that particular book. Still a nice page to own though, especially for anyone wanting something from the early issues in 17 x 11 all Adlard.

Maybe the itch is a bit less too when you already own some pretty nice TWD pieces.

Theoretically, if each page is 1/1, one of a kind... outside of unique demand driven by a 1st appearance of a character or a really great storyline that resonates with the fans, isn't each page equally as scarce (of course driven by supply and demand in what is available at market and what's not)?

So, buying some of the current pages of issue #100+ has the same odds of future value as early issues in the lower numbers? (Aside from the Tony Moore factor of the limited number of issues he illustrated)

I do like the way the new issues are on 2 pieces, the pencils separate from the inks, so the art process is shown on full size 11" x 17"

Theoretically, if each page is 1/1, one of a kind... outside of unique demand driven by a 1st appearance of a character or a really great storyline that resonates with the fans, isn't each page equally as scarce (of course driven by supply and demand in what is available at market and what's not)?

So, buying some of the current pages of issue #100+ has the same odds of future value as early issues in the lower numbers? (Aside from the Tony Moore factor of the limited number of issues he illustrated)

I do like the way the new issues are on 2 pieces, the pencils separate from the inks, so the art process is shown on full size 11" x 17"

Not really. At least that's not how I see it. Again for reference here's the page format before the addition of Stefano and separate inks and pencils:

Issues 7 - 35 11x17 in. paper.

Issue 36 - Two Pages drawn horizontally on one 11x17 in page.

Issues 37 - 40 - 8 1/2 by 14 in paper.

Issue 41 - first half drawn on 8 1/2 by 14 in. paper, second half has two pages drawn horizontally on one 11x17 in paper.

From issue 42 on, he's only used 8 1/2 by 14 in. paper.

Arguably some people would say the some of best work that Adlard did on the series before the change in art direction was #7 - #48, perhaps until around #70. I certainly enjoyed the introduction of Abraham and the Hunters arc which came after #48. There's also the matter of some characters only having been in the book early on (some of which have transcended the book in the ongoing TV series). Regarding the #10 page discussed you get the original Grimes family on page (i.e. Lori is there too) and they are the main characters that it all started with, Hershel is thrown in there too. Pages can be categorised in different ways ... artist, size, arc, age, characters, appearances, deaths, plot significance, layout, zombie content, action, etc etc... everyone is going to have a slightly different preference based on what they like best about the series and some of those preferences are not going to be as available as others.

If you want a Rick, Michonne, Carl or Andrea page then there's always going to be one available. If you want Rick, Lori and Carl then you are going to have to fight for that. Same goes for a specific combination of stuff or something which has a one page which has it all factor. I know that James J has done his best to limit the amount of new pages available to us but there's still a feeling that there will always be new pages available for a long time to come, especially the ordinary talking heads ones, and these are with characters that have now changed and aged over time. I think that gives the older stuff a bit of a special feel. I am sure someone can sum that up in less words than I have used.

No. It's not just supply-- it's content, quality, etc.

Edited by ComicsNYC22

A bit surprised this didn't sell:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-Original-Art-Bristol-Comic-Con-Charlie-Adlard-Robert-Kirkman-/400791676225?nma=true&si=BtVjakqDMXp9OvotkVJFfcHJtx4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Although not from the actual series, it was still a cover for an Image promo book. Now relisted, maybe it goes this time around.

Makes you realized how solid Charlie is with watercolors. He really took his time on this, and the detail's great.

He's done a few watercolours in sketchbooks (not necessarily TWD) and yup he's pretty good!

Isn't the one listed larger than 17x11? If so they should update the listing.

There is no rhyme or reason to how I collect the WD :insane:

:jokealert:

You know what you're missing from your collection? John Watkiss painted pieces that measure 18x24 inches and look amazing on ones wall :baiting:

Jim

I would give my left nut to go back in time and change what I didnt do.. :baiting: .... :cry:

... and another one bites the dust

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-Adlard-The-Walking-Dead-Original-Comic-Art-Half-Splash-Page-Issue-14-/321596072294

2/3 Zombie splash, has Rick in it, early issue from a good arc. $1,127.56 with quite a bit of bidding action on it. Definitely out of reach for average joe :ohnoez:

The better stuff has certainly crept up there and is holding its own really well now, even if there is a metric ton of the recent pages available, even though it's been in everyone's faces so much and people have had ample time to get tired of it. No real insight, the same could be said for most other long running popular comics. It does seem strong though considering Charlie's work outside of TWD doesn't command anywhere near these sort of prices.

Very nice page, one of the better ones I can recall seeing on eBay in the last year or so. Clearly would have gone higher if US bidders were aware of it.

Regardless, kudos to the seller for running what appears to be a true no-reserve auction.

Oh dammit! Never saw it either. That's the kinda page I've been waiting on!!

Ouch... looks like it didn't get advertised properly in the USA. Agree with Felix, one of the best that has been offered lately (A but not A+) and that it would have gotten a few more bids from you serious collectors. I only saw it myself within a couple of hours of it ending and my last few seconds bid didn't even register amongst the flurry as it was outdone on the click.